6 weeks in Amman

Hi all,

I'm going to be in Amman for six weeks from 18th June to 31st July studying Arabic. I'm going to also be trying to travel around eg to Aqaba, desert castles etc every weekend but if there are any gatherings or meet ups in that time I would really love to meet people!
I was also wondering if anyone knows of a swimming pool in Amman that's okay for a young woman?
And about how much should I budget for food for one person per week, is JD20 enough?
Also just wondering if anyone knows how safe it is as a young woman alone to go on short walks in the countryside? The guide book mentions a few strolls ie 2km to see some ruins etc but doesn't say if these can be done alone.
Looking forward to meeting some of you hopefully!

Hi Matilly,
Good day and welcome to Jordan.

I want to tell that Amman are safe place to live  but try to find a flat  in West of Amman especially near Jabal Amman because You wil find alot of expatriates there.

Further to the Food and the budget actually its according to you but its around 35-40 JD when you eat everyday your meal outside ( normal meals ).

And here in Amman there is many of fitness clubs with a pool just for women.

Kindly note that Ramadan will start at the 1st of July for one month. And almost all of restaurants and cafés will close during the day and open in the evening because of Ramadan and many of things changed here during Ramadan.

I hope these information useful for you, and don't hesitate to ask more.

Regards
Laith

Thank you for the tips Laith. I already have an apartment arranged in the Jabal Amman area and it has a small kitchen so I'll be cooking there especially considering Ramadan, I was wondering about grocery shops.
Do you (or anyone) happen to have a specific recommendation for a fitness club in the Jabal Amman area? Otherwise I have heard that it's possible to use hotel pools.

Yes you can use the hotel pool but I think its expensive.  And I think the best fitness for is fitnessfirst club for lady  in shmesani area its close to Jabel Amman  because I dont know if there is a good fitness clubs in Jabal Amman.

Welcome on board to this site and welcome in Jordan!

LaithAD is right about the closing of restaurants and café during Ramadan, keep in mind that it's also possible that the gym will close too. Using swimming pool in hotels means that you can swim during daytime on specific hours.
Evening hours are reserved for men.

Thank you both of you - I'll have a look round when I arrive anyway and ask about any changes to opening times  :)

hey how are u my name is Mohammad and i'm Jordanian first thing i want to say that u r so welcome in Jordan and i will help u in Arabic if u want and for free if u help me and teach me ur language and i will help u in anything in Amman and outside amman