SLB Guest House

So IŽll be working for Schlumberger for abou 2 years at Tripoli and they told me that IŽm gonna be settled at their Guest House near Gargaresh.

Anyone knows a thing about this places, or have some friends who live, or lived there so I could gather some information of the place?

Thanks a lot.

SLB have several staff houses, some are better than others.
I've heard some less than complimentary reports. You need to check what you're getting, read your contract carefully. Check what you're promised, who with, where and how much/little.
SLB are tighter than a gnat's chuff here. Sorry to report I've known some very good people come & go even faster.
Forewarned is forearmed... :|

Mudman wrote:

SLB have several staff houses, some are better than others.
I've heard some less than complimentary reports. You need to check what you're getting, read your contract carefully. Check what you're promised, who with, where and how much/little.
SLB are tighter than a gnat's chuff here. Sorry to report I've known some very good people come & go even faster.
Forewarned is forearmed... :|

Thanks for the info Mudman!

Actually IŽve already read the contract, with all the information. But the definitive one IŽll sign at Paris, during a induction course.

I wanted to know from somebody at Schlumberger how is the living in one of these staff houses. The HR resource from Libya, that this staff house is where they settle their ''young single'' employers. And would like to know how is the job environment at SLB Libya.

Ohh and did you mean by ''tighter'' Mudman? And the comment of good people coming and going fast.

LeBravo wrote:

Ohh and did you mean by ''tighter'' Mudman? And the comment of good people coming and going fast.

They have short arms and very deep pockets :rolleyes:

Sandman6 wrote:

They have short arms and very deep pockets :rolleyes:

And from what I gather, they're particularly bad here.

...is that SLB reaching for the KY Jelly ??!!! :blink:

Well... the wage they offered is quite good, considering itŽs my very first job.

Actually even if it wasnŽt my first job, it would be a very nice wage as well.

They said I would be there for about two years, and then be reassigned to another place, but the info IŽm gathering from SLB Libya indicates that the reassignment will take place in a shorter time.

You're young, single, go for it! Take the money, get the experience then you'll have more options in the future.

Defently yes, go for it and be a man ..!!!
Take one for the team : ))

I guess IŽm going... I was always curious about living in another country...

The problem now is... I might be called to work in Petrobras as well... its gonna be a hard decision.

Family and I (husband is SLB emp) lived in the 6th floor "suite" of the Gargaresh facility for htree months while waiting for our house.  Ti8ght quarters for certain.  Poor shower water pressure at the tip there, but have heard it's fine lower down. 

Be sure your agreement means you'll be in private quarters while in Tripoli (on the rigs/drill sights, there is much less privacy I've heard).  While in town it's rediculous for you to have to share close living quarters.  You're no longer a college student.

We met a lot of truely nice poeple there at the Guest house.  Several of the staff very very nice.  I was especially fond of Abdul at the front desk. 

Poor internet in much of the building, many workers in public areas for internet access. 

We'll be back in the guest house for a few days likely as we transfer out of SLB Tripoli and over to Calgary.  Perhaps we'll meet you.

The biggest thing I would be concerned about is making sure you are getting private accomodation.  As a new hire, I would bet you are not.  Be prepared to live in a room the size of a standard hotel room along with another person if it is shared.  You will have your own bed but share the bathroom and TV and the rest of the room.  A lot of miserable people have come out of that accomodation - but if you are prepared to live like that, you may be all right.  They will do your laundry and supply meals if that is any consolation.  I have stayed there with my husband and we had private accom because it was the 2 of us but when he was there alone, he had a myriad of random roomates and was about as miserable as I have ever seen him after about 3 weeks.

Justice is right though - Abdul is the man!!

Laurieloo,

Some of the singles there told me they stopped the shared room policy for singles if the single was going to be there long term.  Nevertheless, everytime they leave on rotation, they have to pack everything up and leave the excess they don't take to the rig locked up in the lobby store room. PITA. 

But, most of the employees in that situation are young and flexible. I'd have done it at their age too.  Anything for a good paycheck and good work experience.

Oh that is good to hear Justice.  Disregard me OP!  I'm from the old school!

Hi,
Im working in Schlumberger in the desert just now but always hear about the dreaded guesthouse lol.....Havent really heard too much bad things being honest, but i suppose your just going to have to jump in with both feet and find out....there is plenty of things to do in gargaresh, we used to have a guesthouse there and was good for different things to do, tried getting into the regatta with another scots guy a couple of times but always turned away by security guards at gate!! Damn lol