Alexandria

Hey everyone!
I'm Sarah from Denmark, I'm a fashion designer. I'm planning to move to Alexandria the end of this year and I have few questions regarding to living and working in Alex. Is it hard to find a job there? How do I get in touch with people? Is it easy making friends there since I don't speak the language. What should I be aware of? How's life in Alex? How expensive or cheap is it to rent an apartment in Alex? Do I need a medical insurance?

I look forward to hearing from you guys
Thank you so much in advance

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to Alexandria the best city of Egypt.

- Is it hard to find a job there?
No if you are thinking to teach a language if not, Yes it's going to be hard.

- How do I get in touch with people?
Nice people can be found anywhere in Alex but at the start you need to meet some foreigners who are currently living in Alex those will introduce you to their good local friends or you can meet good people at any community clubs .. and AVOID making friends at any tourist sights.

- Is it easy making friends there since I don't speak the language?
Yes it is very easy Alexandrians love foreigners and most of the youth speak English and French.

- What should I be aware of?
You better understand the local pricing as most of the locals (taxies, shops etc..) will double the prices for you.

- How's life in Alex?
Relaxing, small city .. not much to do compared to Cairo .. Cairo more open than Alex but way cleaner and more friendly people than Cairo.

- How expensive or cheap is it to rent an apartment in Alex?
It's better that you share flat with someone else .. the best monthly room rent in a good shared flat starts from 1000le a month

- Do I need a medical insurance?
If you have strong stomach and body and have you been to worse places than Egypt before .. then no need to have one .. if not i recommend you to have one at least for 3 months.

I hope this helps :)

Regards,
Hareth.

Dear Hemyar,

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain everything to me, I appreciate a lot :)

You are welcome :)

Yeah I agree, Alexandria is one of the best cities of Egypt. But not the best actually.
However, my only advice, when summer comes, RUN dear out side of Alexandria. I MEAN IT.

SaGiTtArIuS.Best

Why run from Alexandria the summer? Is it too hot?

Lol.....no the weather is fine. But the ninty million Egyptians go there during summer ;)

Hi Sarah....first of all yo are welcome here in Egypt...
answering your Questions
Is it hard to find a job there?..
what the requirements you have , if you only a fashion designer..you will search for a while to find a suitable work for you..we export most of all our needs from out borders..we have no companies work only in fashion design ... or you have then to work in a factory who need a fashioner  but that if you know Arabic language..and my advise to you
you have to find a job first before you come here in Egypt if you gonna rely on your salary
...How do I get in touch with people?
to easy we here like expat ppl....but you have to choose your friends ....my advise for you to know only expat like you , until you understand the society rules and then feel free to know anyone.
What should I be aware of?
be aware of misunderstanding....some people may think by wrong way about you...western media present western lady by cheap way (easygoing with anyone...or they want date with any man ) some people will have that picture about western ladies so be aware of harassment
How's life in Alex?
alex very cold in winter(at least for us Egyptian..lol) sometimes become full of water rain in the streets
very crowded in summer but with very good weather
How expensive or cheap is it to rent an apartment in Alex?
it depends on the place and what your needs..but its kinda moderate in prices..may you can start from 300 $ per month
Do I need a medical insurance?
i really don't know about that but i think we have no medical insurance for expats..but there is a lot of hospitals and clinic there.

first of all you r totally welcome here and don't worry about language u gonna find most of the ppl can speak english here not so well but they gonna understand you , about the apartment don't worry about it at all it's so easy to rent a small apartment for a cheap price here in alex  and contact me when ever you need any help this is my face book account search for it [email protected]  anytime ^_^