Are there any Burns Supper / Burns Night events in Trinidad?

Good evening,

Scottish folks around the World celebrate the life of Robert Burns on January 25th every year.

Is there such an event being organised in Trinidad this year? 25 January falls on a Saturday.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Hi Iainmac,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I hope that you will receive some responses soon.

Thank you and have a nice day ;)

Priscilla
Expat.com team

I don't think so. It's celebrating the poet Robert Burns? I've been out of Trini for a lot of years,  but I am not familiar with that one; even from friends.  Hey, but you can start a poetry group based on the works of Burns.

Thanks for the reply.

The 'Burns Supper' event is indeed a celebration of the life and works of Robert Burns. He was a poet, a songwriter (Auld Lang Syne for example), and a 'ladies man'. Born on January 25, 1759 in Alloway, near Ayr.

Robert also enjoyed a tipple of Whisky.

Burns Supper events encompass all the aspects, including reciting many of his poems, eating traditional Scottish fare (Haggis), reciting a particular poem before eating (Address to a Haggis), and drinking whisky to toast the Haggis. Also there is often a singer to perform some of his songs and often a Scottish Country dancing (line dancing) demonstration with the opportunity for the audience to participate.

There are a lot of references on Wikipedia and Youtube if you wish to search further. It always happens on (or the nearest Saturday to) January 25th.

I was not able to find any groups in Trinidad. Maybe there have not been so many Scottish visitors or immigrants to Trinidad. Certainly in Jamaica, there is a strong tradition amongst the Scottish residents and descendents. Robert Burns himself has a strong connection to Jamaica, having visited, and having almost emigrated there (because his first book of poems did not sell well), but his fortunes turned around, and he stayed in Scotland instead of moving to Jamaica.

I did find reference to a Burns Supper menu at one restaurant from around 2005, but that restaurant (at the Normandie Hotel) did not have a function organized this year.

Maybe I will spend the next 11 months checking the level of interest here, in case we can put together a small event for those interested (if anyone else is...)