University

Hi all,
We are planning to re locate to Mauritius in 2015. My husband is Mauritian so no problems with the technicalities, however he grew up in London so does not know much about the education system there. We have read a lot about the international schools and that seems to be straight forward. Our two eldest sons, however, will be university age, they are a little concerned that a degree from UOM will not be widely recognised world wide and feel that the university may be not as good as one in the UK. Obviously the fees for UOM will be somewhat less, one of the reasons we are planning the move!!
Has anyone any thoughts on this?
Many thanks.
Julie

You are correct the UOM awards are not recognised internationally however there are British Univerisyr branch campuses here. Middlesex University, in the top 4%of universities worldwide according to latest world ranking tables, establshed a campus in 2009 and has a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes with full time dedicated international academic and support staff. Hope this helps

Have you considered the University of South Africa? (correspondence university).

Well well...all i can confirm is that having successfully passed his Bsc with Honours in a scientific subject a nephew of mine who had first attended the UOM was given a grant by a top London university for a direct entry to study at an Msc level...so my guess is that it has to count for something or at the very least provide a path to Post graduate studies in a more reputable university.

We have considered SA but it seems pretty costly and they would not be able to get UK loans. Still thinking, many thanks for your reply. Julie

Many thanks, that sounds promising. I am trying to encourage them to keep an open mind and maybe get out and visit the UOM sometime soon. Thanks for your reply. Julie

Odyssey wrote:

Well well...all i can confirm is that having successfully passed his Bsc with Honours in a scientific subject a nephew of mine who had first attended the UOM was given a grant by a top London university for a direct entry to study at an Msc level...so my guess is that it has to count for something or at the very least provide a path to Post graduate studies in a more reputable university.

He may be amongst the 1 or 2% lucky students. Otherwise, he or she has nowhere to go  except hoping to find employment in Mauritius or may be some African countries.

I am certain that the UOM will be more than obliged to disclose and boast about similar past outcomes...however dont expect to be told that the same were based on luck!:)

Odyssey wrote:

I am certain that the UOM will be more than obliged to disclose and boast about similar past outcomes...however dont expect to be told that the same were based on luck!:)

Indeed, ......like it 's more or less an "all in the family" the winners of the Francophonie scholarships pursuing graduate studies in a French university in Québec.

The reason for his scholarship to pursue Post graduate studies at a UK uni was solely based on his undergraduate results and academic prowess. However it did not deter the fact that he had first been a student at UOM and the point i was trying to make is that his studies has progressed smoothly without the need to attend any exams or conversion year hence the UOM award has to be somehow recognised!

As for the Canadian Francophonie scholarships i dont have a clue about it or its criteria.

No issues studying at UOM. I have many friends working in Uk and Canada with bachelor degrees from UOM.

The finance an accounting courses, the medical and the engineering courses are the best at UOM. The level is quite high, so is the demand. you need to have very good higher school certificate.

till now i have never heard of a foreign university rejecting a bachelor degree from Uom.

instead of being biased rather give it a try. if anybody wants to study in the aforementioned field then do give Uom a try