Mauritius Schools for Children of Expats

Hey all, I'm trying to move to Mauritius but I will be moving with my child. Does anyone know how much (roughly) the school fees are because I have heard they are quite high and they are only free for citizens.

Also I was happy to have him homed school with a tutor but I believe this is illegal there.

Please let me know if you've had any experience surrounding the schools.

Thanks

Hello, the public/government schools are free from what we have been informed.

Our two children go to a private school/preschool, which costs about 28500MUR = about 600€ per month for both children.

In addition, there is the payment of the school uniform, which costs about 6000 MUR = about 120 €.

Food during school hours must be given to me.

Either you bring your child to school yourself, you pay the usual costs for petrol and wear and tear, there are optional chauffeur services that collect the children and bring them to school/home, where a monthly fee is charged.

Kind regards

Stefan

@Godschild well its a interpretation of the law  not clearly illegal as long as you can proof your kids gets education and what type of education. So dont worry.

Recently, I talk to a woman who is in catamaran business in Mauritius.

She is originally from South Africa.

She is home schooling her kids without any issues.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Really helps

If you want to send your child to school, make sure it's on a high level, I have a friend who is a teacher in a school for mid-level families in Port Louis, and the stories he tells me about what the students are like there, is not really good.

I am not sure that personal tutoring is illegal over here.

Government schools are free apart from the minimal annual fees but their teaching is mostly in creole or French.

Several reputable private schools exist, with different fees from 7000 - 20000 per month depending on their standards / reputation. Be sure to research well before opting for a school, there are many private schools with lots of advertising and visibility online or in the media.

From my personal experience, details about a few schools around the center of the island:

Step Ahead - Well established school with proven academic level and offering a myriad of extra curricular activities. Unique school set-up due to the natural environment and wonderful views from the school.

Hampton - Long established school with proven academic and child developmental level and a nice expat student population.

Dukesbridge - The largest private school group of the island, their primary schools level is still quite unproven and quality of education becoming somewhat diluted according to parents due to increased focus on quantity. Rely heavily on advertising.

Brightfield - Another school with an interesting curriculum (academic and developmental) but with their level still unproven.

Clavis - Feeder school for Le Bocage International School, this is a school of proven quality of education. Clavis has a long standing reputation for excellence, Fees are higher than the above schools.