Pre-Primary and Primary school in the centre

Hi,

We have recently moved to Mauritius (Beau-Bassin).  I am currently looking for schools for my 4yo and 7yo.  I am currently considering Hampton Primary in Quatre-Bornes and Clavis in Moka. Any suggestion/help would be greatly appreciated.  I would like to hear from parents who have children in these schools and find out about their experiences.

Thanks
Pepin

Hi Pepin and welcome to Expat.com!

Do not hesitate to browse through the different threads of the forum, it may be useful to you.;)

Harmonie.

Hi, pepinmru,Firstly, where are you from. most of student in hampton are indian,actually,hampton is a very good school,though Clavis may be is the best in this island as a international school in reputation, but compared the fees with each other,i don't think there are any diffirent between Hampton and Clavis except the school fees of Clavis is pretty higher. 
so all things are decide by yourself, anyway ,they are all excelent after all.

Thanks Loretta.  We are from Australia.  I have enrolled my older son in Clavis and my younger son starts at Hampton today.

Hi to all of you. My two kids are in Clavis, one in year 4 while the other is at the reception.  If you want my elder can help your's in socializing.  You can email me on [email protected].  In which class in your's?

Hi,

I would like to know your thoughts about Clavis thus far as I am having reservations about it. Is it of standard to any International school worldwide.

Hi Scerenika (and others!)

Clavis is an IBO World School.  This means that not only is their curriculum top notch, they are also held accountable for keeping their IBO World status. 

I have taught in IBO schools for eight years now (my husband--16 yrs w the IBO).  I have been through the IB authorization process as an educator twice.  Let me tell you, it is extremely rigorous.  This organization holds the teachers, students and administrators to a very high standard.  Not only is implementing the program a big challenge, keeping the IB status is as well.  The organization returns to the school every couple of years after program implementation.  At this time everyone is assessed on how they are continuing with implementing the program.  After these site visits, schools are often given commendations (if they are lucky!!) as well as recommendations on how to keep the school authorized.  If there are too many problems and the school does not adhere to the recommendations, the IBO will essentially strip the school of its IBO status.

So, all of that to say, Clavis is up to standard with other IB schools around the globe.  If not, they wouldn't be able to call themselves an IB school.  :)

Okay, this is getting a bit long winded...but I would also like to say that the IB teaches kids how to REALLY "think" for themselves, to question everything around them (YES, even their teachers!!)  It teaches students how to be independent and at the same time develop a deep understanding that other people (even with their differences) can also be right.  The program challenges students to become cooperative learners, it gives teachers the freedom to adapt the curriculum to the students interests and ability levels, as well as adapting lessons according to global affairs.  Also, embedded in the curriculum are the IB Learner Profile Traits (things like Caring, Open-Minded, Communicator, Risk-Taker, etc etc.)  Teachers work very hard to make sure that all students in the school are demonstrating these traits throughout the year.

Another fantastic thing about the IB curriculum is the methods (yes PLURAL!!) of assessment.  Students aren't simply lectured on a topic and then given an exam and then moved onto the next topic.  Assessment is both formative and summative...always continuous. Students aren't simply given a letter grade (A, B, C, D, F) because what does that REALLY teach a kid about his/her work?  Almost nothing!  Instead, teachers use general rubrics as well as task-specific rubrics to assess a child's performance on an assignment.  Rubrics are attached to the assignment so that when the student receives their grade (something like 1-6) they can revert back to the rubric (along with the teacher's comments on the assignment) and know EXACTLY what they did well on and where they need to improve...EXACTLY!  In my opinion, a much better way to help a child with his/her work than the good ol' A, B, C method!

If you walk into a classroom of an IB school, you will most likely see (and this is a GOOD thing!) students moving around the room, sitting in groups working collaboratively in the hallway, students and teachers using computers and other forms of technology, the teacher moving around the room and rarely standing in the front lecturing, etc.  It is rigorous, but not in the same way other schools are!  You probably won't see desks arranged in perfect rows and students sitting down with textbooks or worksheets in front of them diligently working away (the way many of us were taught!) Often, you will find that teachers do not use textbooks (VERY scary for a lot of parents at first...and sometimes the students, too.)  However, if you stick with it and the teachers are well trained, your child will come out of the program with the most amazing zest for life, care and concern for others and the world around them, and super prepared for university life (as in...many universities often give full credit for the entire first year--sometimes two years b/c these kids are so well adapted and prepared for what lies ahead.)

As for me, I would not want my son in any other place!  And no, I am not affiliated with Clavis in any way other than the fact that my son attends the school  ha!  ;)  I am just very passionate about the IB program and all that it offers our precious kiddos!  I could go on and on and on...but I guess I've probably said enough for now.  Tee heee!

Stay dry today!

Court  :)
xx

Thanks so much for that.

I suppose we dont need to catch up for tea after reading this.lol. I feel reassured.
I love your enthusiasm and passion for the system.Why dont you get back into teaching. Hope all the teachers are like you.

Hi there,

My name is Camilla and I live in Brighton, UK.
Myself, my husband, Craig (a Kiwi!)and our 8 year old daughter, Issy, are seriously considering moving to Mauritius for a year (or maybe longer...).

Craig and I are coming over to Mauritius next week - arriving 19/3 until 21/3 for a bit of a whistlestop tour of schools, local areas and just to get a good feel for the Island.

We're trying to narrow down the school visits to 3, looking at Clavis, Lighthouse and hopefully West Coast. Does anyone have any info on any of the latter? Court's posting below on Clavis was very interesting, so am very keen to see this school.

We would really like to meet with one/some of you for a coffee and a chat to discuss life in Mauritius as it's all a bit overwhelming at the moment! Is anyone around on the afternoon of 19th or 20th March? Is so, it would be great to meet for a chat.

Thanks for reading..

Camilla

Hi,

My six years old daughter going in Hampton(Curpipe). For last 2 years I am in Mauritius, I also too much worried  about the school selection, visited so many school in the island finally I choose Hampton. It's English Medium but French also taught and student ratio per class around 15 to 20 student maximum.

Hi.

Am looking for a good nursery/kindergarten in port louis for my daughter. she's 1 1/2 yrs and understands mostly english.

She's quite fragile as well that's why i need a good school.

can anybody suggest please.

thanks

Hello!

The Childhood Academy is a brand new Pre Primary school, located in Rose-Hill and will be ready for January 2014 admission. Check out the Facebook page for more details.

Good luck!

hi,
we are planning to move to mauritius my daughter is 7yrs 1o months i want to know about the academic year there ana also fee my pay will be 65ooo mur is tha sufficient to survive in mauritius with my wife and daughter pls help.

thank you but i want to know about the beginning of academic year and fee structure as well

Hi Pepin,
I see that you have a child at Hampton QBornes.
Please give me your impression about this school as I considering it for my son next year.

Please reply.

I am so surprised why nobody mentioned les Petits Futes at Helvetia. That's a really nice school- french medium but the kids do have English classes.
they are focused on the child's personal development as well as being in line with the academic requirements.

After that you can send your kids to Ecole du Centre or to any other school. In my opinion, the french medium schools are the best in Mauritius in terms of discipline and academic level compared to the other private schools. And from what i've heard they also offer the option to students at Lycee to complete half of their studies in englisg and half in french. this implies that these students can study in an english un or a french uni whitout any problem.

I can see that many expats  who are not from french speaking countries prefer english medium schools. their choice of course but i have done some research first and i find the french schools are the best :)

May I suggest The Childhood Academy?! Check out our Facebook page for more details!

Good day :-)
I am looking for a good English kindergarten nursery for my daughter who is 18 months.I  heard of Hampton .unfortunately  it's too far for me as I stay at le morne. The quatre bones branch would suit me but the day care is only at the curepipe s  one. If someone could advice any other good nursery  in quatre borne or black river.thanks

Hi,

Check out St Nicholas in Sodnac, Quatre Bornes for both pre and primary or Safe & Sound at Quatre Bornes. .

All the best!

Girish23

Thanks  :)

Hi ! You can also check KidsCool in Quatre Bornes. On Facebook and phone num ++++ Cheers.

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : pls share phone numbers in private
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

If you live in Le Morne, you can take your 18 month old to Casa De Bambins in Black River, or Tiny Tots in Tamarin.

Hi ,

I have seen many of your kids attending Hampton school ..can you please give feedback as I need to finalize school for my daughter for next year.

Hi there, I'm very interested in this thread as I'm looking for a nursery/preprimary for my son. Although I am English speaking I'd like to consider French medium schools as well as English ones, to potentially help develop his language skills. I see lots of English school suggestions in this thread but not much for French medium.  Does anyone have any recommendations for high quality French/English nurseries in the center? I'm living in Quatre Bornes. Thanks!

Hi Albion
Did you find the school for  your elder?
Im also looking for my baby ,he is going to 2years old
There is a teafair in moka. But alreay is full.
First  You should put the name the waiting list.

Hi Albion,
There is Ile aux Enfants nursery and preprimary school situated at cascavel. It's affiliated with west coast primary school.you can chk it on FB.