Riyadh Houses?????

Hi All,
I was offered a teaching position at Riyadh,King Saud University and the package includes housing. Does anyone have any pictures, or anyone employed by King Saud University and can give me some insight into the living quaters?

Thanks

Have posted the name and email address of a contact who is also a forum member here and who came to live and work recently in Riyadh who is a Lecturer at KSU. Pls contact him for more details as he will be the ideal person to give you all the info. he is Australian national now of Lebanese descent.

u could ask the KSU people to send me u some photos , that might work

What kind of place is Riyadh for a simple Pakistani family of four with Higher School children, and with a Professor position at the King Saud University? please advise. Is life in Riyadh realy dificult for such a family or not?

aqsr, its one heck of a place for the four of you, believe me. No regrets whatsoever. There are plenty of people from all commun ities and professions and so many things to invoplve oneself in if only one looks in the right places.

Come on over and enjoy while the black gold lasts...

Oh, it's going to last for a while but I would say come over while jobs are still being offered to foreigners.  The 'Saudization' effort is in full-swing here and you never know when the bottom will fall out.

yeah yeah DO come:D

why only we suffer rest of you should do same

hehehehe

just kidding,u should really come here.Initially u may not enjoy a lot but after wards u would love it

Initially u may not enjoy a lot but after wards u would love it

There are supposed to be stages to one's integration into a new culture, first identified by Kalvero Oberg in 1958:

Stage One:  The honeymoon, or tourist, stage
Stage Two: The irritation-to-anger stage
Stage Three: The rejection/regression stage
Stage Four: The integration/assimilation stage
Stage Five: The reverse, or reentry, stage

This seems reasonable although there is no set timeline for these stages.  Reviewing this list, I think I've been in Stage Four since I arrived!  So I do think it's different for different people, can't be applied to everybody the same way.

Also, a pet theory of mine is that one's happiness here is directly proportional to what they left behind.  For example, my life had become predictable and boring and while I do miss my family, I certainly don't miss my former life--one of my main reasons for being here is for the 'adventure,' something different (and in that respect, KSA sure delivers lol).

However, if a person loves his or her life at home and comes to Saudi just to make a ton of money, I think he or she will have a difficult time adjusting because they find the money doesn't outweigh what they gave up.

Opinions, as usual, are most welcome :)

Alliecat wrote:

Oh, it's going to last for a while but I would say come over while jobs are still being offered to foreigners.  The 'Saudization' effort is in full-swing here and you never know when the bottom will fall out.

The Saudization effort has been ongoing for ages and it was there when I first came to live and work here, in 1979 too. Its just an eyewash that ends up in some "nice" round nunbvers being presented to people in high places. It even goes up and down like a yo-yo sometimes, based on needs and critical projects.

I have seen many organizations hiring locals just to conform to the numbers and allow them to do as they please and take a paycheck home for free. Majority of the effort in terms of development and progress is contributed by the expats, without any doubt. It was the same in 1979, its still the same in 2010.

The oil will never dry up. Chatting to a colleague on the Saudia flight back to Riyadh from Jeddah last week he amazed me by stating that there is a very stroing theory thats bveen floating around professional circles that oil is not really a fossil fuel at all but an element thats found below the surface oif the earth no different rto water, minerals or other metals. He went on to say that major oil companies in the west want it to be accepted as a fossil fuel for their own selfish mneeds and purposes. he claimed that some sciuentists who espoused this theory and were in the process of making it public were eliminated James Bond style.

Conspiracy theories are a dime a dozen these days. Many clkaim man never stepped on the moon cos the pic of the flasg shown with Aremstrong was fluttering where there was no wind. The 911 theories espoused by the likes of Michael Moore and others are also astonishingly debatable. The wars in the Mid East, the Palestinian conflict, and almost every single event on the planet has some link to some strange inexplainable theory that boggles the mind.

Man, sure has a tremendous abiloity to boggle his own mind.

Initially, I came here on a 2 year contract with a budget in my mind to go back home and start all over. Its been 30 now and I'm still trying hard to burn by boats behind me. It will never happen until they show me the door and its rather late in the dfay for me to start all over back home now. hence, I will simply flow with the tide and land where the sands take me.

London, perhaps...? Who knows. The gals are huddling over a prospect of seeking immigration there under the Highly Skilled Immigration Program and also counting their poennies to try and buya small house in one of the suburbs there. I would certainly find it most comfortable to retire there. The orderliness, kindness, courtesies, ground rules and basic infrastructure is worth more than all this black stuff as lon as we have some black stuff stashed away in some pillowcase.

I rest my case...