Pets

Question anyone,

Have any of you brought your pet/s down with you. Have 3 fixed cats and my wife will not leave her babies. I also am found of them. What area would you look to, to rent. We have seen some great places to buy but want to test the waters for a year.

Thanks - you all seem very helpful and friendly - maybe we can meet this July when we come down to take a look at Cuenca and Cotocahi.                marty

Marty, I brought 3 Scottish terriers with me. Bringing pets limits you somewhat on housing. But cats are more accepted than dogs. My advice would be to come to Ecuador and spend a month getting the feel of the country and learning the do's and dont's. When looking for a place, make sure you visit the place more than once at different times of the day. Just like the rainy season in the US. You always check the property after a big rain. Same here, except in the afternoon the children are home and you have to be careful to not rent a place with 8 kids stomping above your head all evening. Have heard more than one story on that. Also dont get lured into a place outside of Cuenca without your own transportation. I made that mistake. The cost of living here is more than you read about. Dont think that IL is telling the truth unless you are willing to walk everywhere and eat the daily lunch specials, which sometimes consist of things that are not normally consumed in the US. Main thing is not to be in too big of a hurry. Because the wheels of government turn slowly here, and in the US. You will see that when you start to get all of your paperwork together for residency.
One more thing. Dont be in any hurry to buy. There are tons of places to rent, everywhere. And the prices to buy are at Gringo prices for a lot of dumps. I have seen places here that are on the market for 110K, but I wouldnt give 30K for them. RENT.

Some helpful info on bringing pets to Ecuador can be found here https:// tinyurl.com/my787ob

We are up for any more information on pets also.  We have 3 dashchunds that will go where we go!  They are the "new kids."  We are not taking them on our first trip in october to just check some areas out.  I hope they don't have a limit on how many doggies/pets you can bring into the country.  If so, I stay in Florida....

We brought 4 dogs with us along with 2 cats. If you go to the link I posted earlier, there is some info about Sandra Baquero who can help you with the process. She did a great job for us and several of our friends.

My husband and I brought our dog, a 3 year old (neutered) boxer, to Cuenca 4 weeks ago.  Paperwork was easy and inexpensive.  United Airlines PetCare did a very good job getting our guy to Quito.  We used Aero Gal from Quito to Cuenca, but I wouldn't recommend them.  We had a little trouble renting a house in Cuenca, but not much.  A few landlords didn't allow pets of any kind, but most unfurnished places said pets were ok.  All of our neighbors in the Tres Puentes area have pets, but about 80 - 90 percent are dogs.  Good luck!

Hello!

I tried to go to the URL that you suggested & Google came up with nothing that I could see that related at all to your site:-(. Is there another way to get in touch with the woman who helped you?

thanks so much,
Elizabeth

PS we have two cats & two dogs & plan on moving in the next year or two to Cuenca

Hello!

Could you elaborate on the paperwork needed? Are there any forms on line to download?

Thanks so much,
Elizabeth

I am hoping to bring my four dogs...small. So, I'm interested in any information.

Thanks,
Judy

I'm curious if anyone has been able to move there with their cat and NOT had all the vaccines for them?  I ask because my two cats are old, and not in great health, esp. One them.  My vet here doesn't think they should have the 4 or 5 vaccines EC requires due to their health and immune system issues.  He's willing to give me an "exemption" letter, but after talking to an Ecuadorian lawyer there, who specializes in relocating people (Sara Chaca), she said there's no way around it.  I've done everything but sell my house to prepare for this move, and this is a real sticking point because I won't harm my cats.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chemfreemom wrote:

I'm curious if anyone has been able to move there with their cat and NOT had all the vaccines for them?  I ask because my two cats are old, and not in great health, esp. One them.  My vet here doesn't think they should have the 4 or 5 vaccines EC requires due to their health and immune system issues.  He's willing to give me an "exemption" letter, but after talking to an Ecuadorian lawyer there, who specializes in relocating people (Sara Chaca), she said there's no way around it.  I've done everything but sell my house to prepare for this move, and this is a real sticking point because I won't harm my cats.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello chemfreemom,

Please note that this thread has been inactive since 2012.

Hope somebody might help you

Hi,

I would really like to know the '4 or 5 vaccines' required by Ecuador for cats.  My cat and I are coming to Ecuador very soon.

HelenPivoine

HelenPivoine wrote:

Hi,

I would really like to know the '4 or 5 vaccines' required by Ecuador for cats.  My cat and I are coming to Ecuador very soon.

HelenPivoine

Unfortunately it's a lot more complicated than just getting the vaccinations.  There are various requirements for the animal(s), and for the paperwork.

The second link in post #2 here will download a PDF that gives the import rules for dogs and cats and other pets.  Inside that PDF is another link with the required vaccines (where it says REQUISITOS SANITARIOS IMPORTACIÓN DE PERROS Y GATOS PROCEDENTES DE AMÉRICA).:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 56#2686279

For cats this is the vaccine info, with the vaccines administered within 21 days of embarkation:

GATOS
a) Rinotraqueítis
b) Panleucopenia
c) Calicivirosis
d) Rabia (a los animales mayores de 3 meses)

In addition a veterinary examination must have been performed within 10 days of embarkation, and from that examination a Veterinary Certificate in Spanish must attest to the health of the animal(s) in various areas which are listed.

So if I am reading the Spanish correctly some paperwork from the EC government has to be completed before you arrive with your pet. Also do they prefer to do the translation of the vet exam themselves in EC like they do with human paperwork?

I don't read anywhere where it says they will do the translation in either of the PDFs.  It does say clearly in the second PDF "Present a Veterinary Certificate in the Spanish language where the following is specified" and then it lists all the requirements including the vaccines, and that the date of vaccination, type and brand must be listed.

The document you must have in all cases according to the first PDF is a "Certificado Zoosanitario de Exportación" or "Certificate of Animal Health for Exportation" or equivalent document from the "Official Veterinary Service" of the country of origin, that meets all the animal health requirements that Ecuador wants as outlined in the PDFs.  It does not specify what language this document must be in but if it were me I'd have the original in English and a notarized translation into Spanish, making sure there are ofiicial seals on it.

Then as I read it you must also have a "Veterinary Certificate" in Spanish that meets the requirements listed in the second PDF.  It could be that this is the same as the first document they want you to have even though they refer to it by a somewhat different name.

For any questions I would contact them directly via email at the addresses given, on each PDF in the upper right hand corner along with their physical addresses and telephone numbers.

For Canadians, the Canada Food Inspection Agency provides a form in .pdf format to download, with your choice of either two or three languages (either English & French, or English & French & Spanish).  The latter is good to use.