Service Dogs

Are service dogs permitted everywhere as they are in America?  i.e. for the blind or deaf.

Ed, I dont know however in the seven years I have lived in Ecuador I have seen plenty of blind people but never a service dog.

I've never seen a service dog being used, but I do see signs sometimes saying they are allowed, like on the bus or grocery stores. 
I wonder how difficult they would be to have here.  I often see people who are just walking their dog get harassed by strays wanting to fight or protect their territory.

Where would I enquire concerning any Ecuadoran rules, regulations, or laws about service dogs? Also, someone who is currently in Ecuador, can you, would you, please, check to see if there is a service dog training facility in Ecuador? I can't seem to find one on the web, but I may be using the wrong search terms. By the rules of the service dog organization my dog came from, I can't move a service dog away from the geographic area they serve permanently. Having had a mobility service dog, I am kind of lost without one.
Thanks!
Elizabeth

I think you'll find that with any animal being introduced into another country that a quarantine period will be required even if papers from your country are presented. The dog must meet that countries health/quarantine requirements.
It maybe wise to consider sending the animal ahead to meet any requirements.
Good luck

Elizabeth,

If you'd like to take advantage of the information in prior posts on this blog, you can use the search bar in the green header area at the top of your web page.

I recall reading that the process was quite simple, but I haven't revisited the info before writing this note.

Good Luck

Carlos  aka "ElGringoBueno"

I'm also interested in any existing process for bringing a prescribed service canine to continue to be of service to me. I'm also mobility impaired. My partner/BF has nicknamed me "Turtlette," as I move very slowly... 🐢

the process of bringing my service dog to Ecuador was the most straight forward and painless part!  first requested form from AA for my dr to sign as well as had her type a letter on her letterhead stating the need. My boy is certified by IAASDP as a service dog...his reg. number, his microchip number (14 didget) were all on  the front page of a passport that I bought when I sent for all of the updated forms to be filled out by vet.   21 days before flight shots given by vet and the 10 days before flight papers filled out by vet ,wormed, and flea, tick treatment done.. I used essencial oils....Peace & Calming...and gave us both Rescue Remedy gummies...no meds.

there is no quarantine for bringing a service dog to EC....but papers and shots,etc must be followed

I have only been here for three months...Salinas....Cool has not been barred from any resturants but was not allowed in the mall or public buildings.  I have had quite a time with my papers and had to get a six month extention....I have ptsd and much brain fog. I unde3rtsand that I need to go to an agency here to have him certified and always carry those papers...in Spanish that he will be accepted. This was told to my by the man who has helped us with our visa and other relocating issues....I would highly recommend his services...in fact if you could contact him while going throught the process it would make things so much smoother.  His name is Rick...he has a transport business...he will meet you at airport, take you anywhere, help you find anything and will help with shipping....he has a business in Miami and lives in Ecuador. He is Ecuadorian but lived in US for 15 yrs...and is one of the least expensive people who do this regularly..  there are many others too...just make sure it is someone wh does this regularly and is current on all info.Ricks info; Ricks Car Transportation [email protected]   us phone; 954.674.7695

my Cool is in vest at all time except when we play on beach...then he wears a regular harness...he is a Borzoi....would be in Lima if I let him run ...I fear.  Here in Salinas we have street dogs but most have homes but run during day. Some people have issues with some dogs.  I worked with horses and swinging the loose end of a lead in circles...if I can work a 1200 lb horse I can control a twenty lb dog....my attitude....it works.   my only problem is that Cool gets lots of attention...I believe he is the only Borzoi in Ecuador.  He loves the attention....he helps me with my ptsd...the attention is on him and it helps me socialize.  He has become a social butterfly and I go with the flow....people are very curious but friendly.

service dogs are used for many other things besides being blind