Bringing Pet Birds to Ecuador

Anyone know the issues with bringing pet birds? We have a Goffin's Cockatoo and a Rose Breasted Cockatoo.

You'll be asking for trouble trying to bring those in, I'm afraid. Ecuadorians don't handle exceptions very well.

Well, I don't know for sure. Usually people bring dogs and cats but I don;t know how they handle birds.

If you're a little patient I will find out.

Vinny

I see you are from Tennessee. I grew up in East Tennessee but have lived in North Georgia for the past 21 years. Atlanta before that.

I have the same issue. 2 birds, an Umbrella Cockatoo and a Military Macaw. The Military is on the CITES list, Appendix I, as one of the most endangered in the wild though they are quite common in US aviculture.  The USDA may not even let me take him out of the states.

Even if Ecuador will let them in I haven't been able to find an airline that will accept them. Delta might be a possibility as cargo as well as Aero Mexico. Dangerous for birds. I plan on moving by the end of 2014 so requirements may change by then, probably for the worse.

I will let you know if I find more info and please do the same for me. These "guys" are my family and not being able to take them could be a deal-breaker.

Bob

Greeting from Puerto Lopez, Ecuador.  We are making the move from the US to Ecuador and also have a parrot that we want to bring with us.  What did you find out about bringing in a bird from the US to Ecuador ?  Hope you and your birds had a safe journey.
Thanks

Hi. Finally got to fully retire 3 weeks ago tomorrow so haven't moved as yet. Still have to sell my house and jump through the paperwork hoops. Will return to Ecuador in Nov. for 3 weeks to finalize living facilities and such. May end up volunteering for a conservation foundation which means spending a number of months in the Guayaquil area before moving to the higher altitudes and the eastern slopes of the Andes.

Bad news on the bird situation. As I mentioned in a previous post, finding an airline to ship the birds seems almost impossible. Also I think you have to get approval from the USDA to ship from the US and a veterinarian examination (check what diseases must be tested by Ecuadorian regulations) which is valid for a limited time, maybe up to 30 days. CITES may have to be involved for approval as well. All that if Ecuador even allows import of birds.

Aero Mexico appears to still accept birds for international shipping as cargo only. From what I have found all their flights originating in the US connect through Mexico City which translates into a very long time for the birds to be in their shipping facilities. Way too much stress on the birds.

Just an idea. You might be able to travel on a cargo ship that accepts passengers and could possibly travel with the birds in that manner. Not sure of the time from the US west coast to an Ecuadorian port (probably Manta).

I have not contacted any of the airline shipping reps in person as I am awaiting the info stating that Ecuador allows the import of pet birds.

I have asked the Foundation that I am considering volunteering with to research if Ecuador will accept pet bird imports at all. If your bird is native to any part of Ecuador then only Zoos, rehab centers, etc., can obtain the permits necessary to have native wildlife in their possession. That leaves out my Military Macaw as most macaws are native to Ecuador. The Cockatoo still has possibilities.

What type of parrot do you have? Enjoy Puerto Lopez. The coast is beautiful. Any info you find on your end relating to the birds would be appreciated.

X

Thanks for the reply.  I have an African Grey parrot.  I have been doing research on bringing our bird and this is what I have found out.  Delta will fly your bird not sure if it will be carry on or cargo delta only flies into Quito and we want to fly into GYE.  LAN will also allow you to take your bird and it looks like you can take as carry on and they fly into GYE. 
Your bird needs to be cleared by Vet within 10 days before you fly.  You need a bill of sale (receipt) for your bird.  This will get your bird into Ecuador, then a person by the name of Giovana at [email protected] she submits it to the Ministry. 
When I wrote to her I told her our parrot have been breed in captivity by a vet and this parrot was not an endangered and were plentiful in Africa.  We plan on bringing our parrot after our 40 foot cargo box arrives as we will be bringing her 2 rod iron cages.  Congrats on your retirement.

Thanks for the reply. LAN and Delta both say on their websites that they will not fly birds, especially internationally for Delta. You have probably done better, more detailed homework on this than I have as you are much closer to the move. I certainly hope you are correct. Cargo is probably the only way as our parrots are large birds and usually not allowed in cabins. From what I read the have to be in carriers that will fit under the seat. That presents a problem for most shipped animals if the temperatures at the departure point and at the arrival point are too hot or too cold. Evidently the temperature in the cargo hold is not controlled unless the engines are running. Several people also recommend that you inform the pilot that you have live animals in the cargo hold so they don't forget to check that the temperature control is activated.

The fact that Delta may be an option is great for me as I would normally fly from Atlanta. They have a direct flight to Quito (a little over 5 hours) and Quito would almost certainly fall in the temperature comfort zone for arrival.  GYE is probably too hot for birds, except for night arrivals, if they have to sit in the cargo hold for any length of time. I would have to ship from Atlanta in the more temperate months.

Your contact person recommendation is much appreciated. Greys are wonderful birds. I hope you have great success with the move. Please let me know if you obtain further information and please check into the necessity for USDA and CITES permits from the US side to save being turned away from final boarding.

X

Hi. Have you completed your move to Ecuador? Were you able to travel with the parrots? If so, what airline.Please give me all the details. I will be in the Guayaquil area for most of November to finalize my volunteer visa and set up living and working arangements with the NGO I plan on working with. I will also start the ball rolling for the Pensionado.

Thanks in advance for any new information.

X

Hi I'm here in Ecuador my wife is not coming till after the first of the year and she will bring our pet parrot at that time.  We are planning on shipping a 40 foot container that will have her two large parrot cage is enclosed. The airlines that we have found that will allow you to travel with a pet bird is on Delta but the only fly into Quito and LAN which allows you to bring parrot as a carry-on. American airlines do not consider a parrot a pet they will allow dogs and cats to be carry-on.  The bird need to be cleared by bat in the United States within 10 days of the time it arrives at the airport.  The person who we're dealing with here in Ecuador is Giovana, they require a bill of sales from where you purchased the bird as well as the supporting document  as health clearance her email is [email protected] she is with the Ecuadorian customs.  This is the information that we have as of now and we would hope that everything would come together when the time comes to move the bird after the first of the year. If you're going to move your bird in before the first of year I would love to hear how this works out for you.  I am living in Portillo pass which is about four hours Northwest of Guayaquil.  Hope this helps I should also add that I let them know that this was an African gray parrot it was raised in captivity and is not in anyway endangered in the wild.

Hi, Sorry for the delay in saying thanks for your last reply. I intended to spend the month of November in Ecuador as a volunteer at an animal rescue operation at a farm about 45 minutes west of Guayaquil. Unfortunately I had a hernia develop while there and had to return to the US for surgery (scheduled for Wed.). The condition appears to be the result of heavy lifting while remodeling my house in preparation for sale. I guess I have to face the fact that I am getting older.

I hope you are settling in well at your new home. I can't wait to get back to Ecuador. Please keep me informed of the of the hoops you had to jump through to get your parrot to Ecuador. I still am running into roadblocks on finding an airline that will allow international shipping.

X

Any up-date on the hopefully successful relocation of your African Grey to Ecuador? Any details will be appreciated. I hope you are now safely relocated to your new home

X

Avian flu in US stopped the movement of our parrot. We had everything done had final vet check and faxed all completed paper work to state and Feds for their review for completeness.  They called me back and told me that Ecuador had just ban the importing of our parrot.  The people we were dealing with in Ecuador assured us when the ban is lifted they will allow the parrot to enter the country.
United is the only airlines that allows you to fly with your bird.  You will have to fly into Quito as that is where the parrot will be accepted.   Save your money and time and wait for US to get problem corrected before thinking of shipping your parrot .

Since your blog was written several months ago, I'm hoping to hear that you've been able to bring you parrot to Ecuador and that he's now happily living with you.  My husband and I want to relocate to Ecuador in the near future, and we have 8 parrots.  I realize that we are allowed to bring only four (two each).  How difficult was it?  We would be bringing a Solomn Islands eclectus, a Goffin's cockatoo, either a Meyer's parrot or a cockatiel and a quaker (or sometimes called a monk) parakeet.  It's the quaker that I'm most concerned about since they originate in S. America and none of the others do.  However, I can't find out if they are native to Ecuador.  All the information I've found says that they are native to S. America, ranging from central Bolivia to southern Brazil, Uruguay, and southern and central Argentina, saying nothing about Ecuador.  She is my baby and I have to take her!  I've had her for 8 yrs. since she was a chick.  I dread the thought of traveling with 4 of them as we could only keep 2 in the cabin since their carriers have to fit under our seats.  They are never locked up at home either, so they are not going to be happy, but the thought of leaving without them is unthinkable.  Do you know if the ban from the bird flu has been lifted?  Any and all info you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated!  Thank you in advance.

Just noticed you post. It has been a busy weekend and I have been very involved with repairs and upgrades to my cabin for the past few months. I want to winterize it before mid November so I can spend the winter in Ecuador with peace of mind that the house is in the best shape possible.

No good news on the birds I am afraid. I finally gave up on finding an airline that would fly large birds to South America. My birds were too large to fly in the cabin and most airlines refuse ti fly them at all. The last straw was a notice online from the government of Ecuador stating that no birds could enter Ecuador from the US due to the advent of the Avian Virus (noted in a previous post on this site as well). I found a good local home for my Military Macaw and my Umbrella Cockatoo. It was tough to give them up as I had one for 17 years and one for 16 years.

In a way I got lucky because I posted only one notice in a pet store I had never been in prior to that time. Soon after the posting a lady who had 2 rescue birds called. We visited each others birds and I saw the care she had given her flock and she saw my birds were treated as family members so she now is the foster mom to my feathered children. It was a very difficult decision but I probably would never be able to move to Ecuador without making the decision. She also lived only 25 miles away. 

Not sure about the Quaker. An online search indicates that they are not native to Ecuador but the information is somewhat inconclusive. I left my book on birds of Ecuador in Ecuador on the last visit. I have been taking some items with me each visit as shipping is too expensive to be considered. If the Quaker is native to Ecuador you will not be able to take it from my understanding. Special permits are necessary to own native wildlife in most countries. These are usually available to zoos, captive breeding programs, rehabilitation centers and the like. It would probably be impossible for an individual to obtain said permits even though the birds were hatched and raised in the US. Quakers are considered as pests in many areas so you may have to research to determine if that is a consideration in Ecuador. 

No harm in trying however. Be certain, if you find a way to move the birds, that you get the necessary paperwork from the USDA and CITES as well as a veterinarian certificate all falling within the specified time limits. There may be other certification required but I can't think of anything else at the moment other than making certain that the bird embargo has been lifted by the government of Ecuador.

Good luck! I am leaving mid November and plan on staying for at least 6 months. If my house were to sell I would probably proceed with the pensioner's visa. 

X

Thank you, Examiner.  I am so sorry that you had to give up your precious birds.  Our birds are our family and we love them so much that I don't think that we could move unless they are allowed to move with us.  My little girl, Goffin's cockatoo, had to be euthanized this past Monday due to her self-mutilation and pain.  It just broke my heart, but now we have one less to bring.  I've tried researching quakers, but as yet haven't found anything.  We are coming to Ecuador on Nov. 8th and  taking the "Crash Course in Ecuador" tour.  Perhaps we will be able to find out more on bring our birds with us and what species are allowed.  What area are you looking to move to?  Thanks again.