Hi

my family and i are heading over to teach in al ain in sept can yatell me an things i should know about the culture. where is a must to visit. thanks

Al Ain is a relatively quiet town, and is part of the Abudhabi Emirate.  Al Ain, Abudhabi city and Dubai form a sort of a triange, each apart by 140-160 km from each other.  Al Ain itself has its own parks, springs, Jebel Hafit and a decent zoo.  All major retailers have presence in one of the few malls there.  The town is full of roundabouts, so driving within is a bit of pain.  The local market area is quite congested, and looks busy in the evenings, especially week-ends.  There are a couple of 5-star hotels too.

Apart from the local places, you could visit Dubai or Abudhabi, or even to the east coast of UAE when you have a long weekend or a holiday.  There are quite some interesting places and beaches to visit.  In addition, Al Ain is pretty close to the Oman border, so one could drive down to Oman too.

Overall Al Ain is a somewhat conservative Islamic type town, but has modern amenities, including a hospital.  Not an exciting city life, but moderate small town life.