What Book Are You Reading?

I've just finished 'The Things They Carried' by Tim O'Brian.  It's a very intense depiction of a man's memories of Vietbnam.

Excellent book.  I highly recommend it.  Almost impossible to put down.

Sudden idea:  maybe we could arrange a 'book swap' one of these days.  We could meet in the public area of the Diplomatic Quarters so there would be no fear of 'being caught' lol

I am going to Start today : Cisco ASA All in one

by Jazib Frahim, Omar Santos

I just re-read Isaac Asimov's Foundation series.

I have a tendency to read for escapism when I live in a place like KSA.

I will begin "How to build a web page for free", as I have a current project at work that is a bit beyond me at the moment.

I would recommend everyone to read "Im OK Youre OK" by Dr M D Harris. Read it first in 1979 and still rings in my head and has given me plenty of poer in human relationships across the years. Its a small paperback and available at Jarir Boosktore in Riyadh.
There are also two other books that came after, "Games People Play" and "Staying OK" which are also brilliant.

I'm reading Free Emotional Techinque by Gary Craig
& BTW you can get it free from

http://www.emofree.com/Newcomer.htm

Enjoy:)

Wow Alliecat, how weird, I JUST finished that book maybe a week ago. Agreed, it was very intense but I loved it. Read it on a whim and couldn't put it down. Highly recomended if into stories of human nature/Vietnam/ war stories. Very moving.

I am sooo into with"Eclipse" by STEPHENIE MEYER.i have completed 50% of it.Completely in love with the whole Series.Its the third part after "twilight"and "New moon".I thought its for Teenagers only but i was wrong,it takes u to another world.It makes u fall in love and to be loved madly by someone so strong and yeah,it may arise the desire to be immortal.:cool: The movie was good and no wonder the novels are superb too.

so plz do read......:):):)

I'm reading "The Help" by Kathryn stockett
Check the reviews at this page, it will give you an idea about how good is the bookhttp://www.amazon.com/Help-Kathryn-Stockett/dp/0399155341

shenry, this is quite a coincidence, esp. considering it's not a new book that's currently being promoted (it was published in 1990).

Seems O'Brien's written about a half-dozen books, all dealing with his Vietnam experiences.  I think I'll pick up a few of them when I'm in the States.

More mind candy...

Dean Koontz's "False Memory".

MisterStretch, are you a fan of Koontz? I've only read one of his book's "Icebound" but I thought it was good, very suspenceful.

I'm big into this guy Greg Iles, anyone read anything from him?

^ For me, Koontz is mind candy.  His earlier works were by far his best and his later writing has become a bit formulaic to be truly suspenseful.

I read a wide variety of authors; from Asimov to Michener, McAffrey to Jimmy Buffett.

I thought I would stumble into a Danielle Steele discussion, thankfully most of you are more sensible than that. I say most, respectfully :P

Dean Koontz is one of my favorites, another favorite is Charles Bukowski. Then you have the cult-classics such as "The Kite Runner" "Catcher in the Rye".

Right now I'm reading Capote's "In Cold Blood."

Brilliant book NS. enjoy

I would also recommend the following books which I read when I was a teen:-

1. GRAPES OF WRATH - John Steinbeck
2. OF HUMAN BONDAGE - Somerset Maugham

They are TWO of the best ever books I have ever read in all my life

Have read them both.  Classics.

Since so many of you like sci-fi, I'm wondering if you've read another classic, Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World'?

I am often reminded of that book here.  It must be because the fondness for uniforms in KSA--there seems to be a dress code for everything.  Where I work, the low level workers wear different colored overalls to indicate their department.  Everybody tends to look the same, as though they've been cloned for a particular job.

Oh..

and I liked 'Razor's Edge' by Somerset Maugham even more than 'Of Human Bondage.'  Have you read it, musicman?

yes, Allie, Ive read all of Maughams collection. Human Bondage was my first and it touched me tremendously. Read Grapes of Wrath after that and its THE best book that IU have ever read in all my life.

I also read Huxleys, Brave New World, sometime in the 70s, during the flower power era, and followed it up with Carlos Castaneda's, "The Teachings of Don Juan" which was fascinating. I then went on to read  "A Search in Secret India" and "The Secret Path" by Paul Brunton in the late 70's whiuch gave me some great insight into the world of mysticism and theophysical stuff. Simply awesome...

I was young the, remember?

You guys should join http://www.shelfari.com where you can actually archive all the books you have read throughout your life. Once you do we can add each other and check out each others books and reading and even discuss them openly in forums with others. Ive been in there for ages now and all the nooks I have read in my life are contained in it.

Okay, you know  how I said I was going to be picking up more of O'Brien's books in the US?

Well, I was going to order them on Amazon but instead did some scouting around and found www.betterworldbooks.com

I ended up ordering 8 books I've been wanting to read--and no postage charge in the USA.  Total cost was $35 !! 

Now I did check what it would have cost to have them shipped here to Riyadh and the total cost was $65, which I didn't think was bad at all!

One other cool thing about Better World books is that they make a donation to literacy organizations with every purchase (you can actually see who will get the donation from each book you purchase).

Anyway, just thought any of you who order books might be interested in an alternative to Amazon.

Hoping to travel to London from Mar 11 to Mar 18 to attend my daughters convocation at the University of London on Mar 15. She graduated with a 2nd Class in English language.

Anyone wanna piece of the Queen?

Rather have a piece of Prince William :D

hmmm, interesting indeed.
it may be rather dicey for me to approach him...
but the Queen, shes my gal

Reminds mer of the little ditty the Beatrles had at the end oif their Abbey Road Album (my favorite of all their Albums), that went,

"Her Mejsty's a pretty nice gal but she doesn't have a lot to say,
Her Majesty's a pretty nice gal but she change from day to day,
I wanna tell her that I love her so but I got myself a bellyful wine,
Her majesty's a pretty nice girl
Someday I'm gionna make her mine, Oh yeah,
Someday I'm gionna mnake her mine"

And yet they were awarded the MBA's......
Brilliant musicians, all four

"Tout est sous contrôle" Hugh LAURIE

will try and bring you back a pic of me crossing Abbey Road

Just finished re-reading Hemingway's classic 'Old Man & the Sea' and am currently reading another Tim O'Brien novel, 'Going After Caciato.'

Anybody read it??