Does anyone work for Al Khaleej Training and Education???

Hey all!!!

I am hoping to find more information about Al Khaleej Training and Education. I am due to arrive in Riyadh tomorrow to teach English (employed through AKTE), but I don't know as much about this company as I would like to. Does anyone have any experience with them, or have heard stories about this company??

Thanks!

Welcome on Board !! :)

Hello there,

Where will you be teaching? In what branch ? Riyadh?

Don't have any details yet. I just know that the adventure begins in Riyadh.

You have no details?? No contract?? You should have already known your workplace...

Yes I have a contract, and I arrive in Riyadh to work, but they didn't tell me specifically what university I will be placed at.

Keep that contract, a document that is needed.  I guess, to the best of my knowledge , if you will be teaching in Riyadh, you will be placed in Princess Noura University, unless they have another contracts with other girls uni.

Did they decide on your accommodation? You will be happy in Riyadh and I wish you all the best in your endeavour. Is that the first time you teach abroad??

Yes, this my first time teaching abroad. I'm really excited, but nervous because I've heard such mixed stories about this company. I'm very optimistic though, and make the best of everything, so I think I'll be okay. I would love to teach at Princess Noura, which is where I think I'll be placed, I'm just not 100% sure. I also hope I can meet people from other compounds and attend social events at the Embassy so I can meet as many people as possible.

Ashly, the place is what you make of it. I'm also an ESL instructor and have been teaching in this blessed country for 4 years now. I had 6 native speakers co-workers and they were happy. One of them was a young man (25 years) and he is still working in Riyadh. He was able to familiarise himself with people and he is just living the way he used to in the states.

He is living in a compound and made a lot of friends. He will be a good helper and facilitator for you when you come to Riyadh. They have many tours around the city and arrange too many social gatherings.. You will feel like home..

At all events, consider this year as a holiday for you , and if you do not like it , simply quit..

Thanks for your advice! It is much appreciated. Who is your friend living in Riyadh? Could I contact him?

Hi Ashley,
I have read your profile and welcome to Riyadh. I know its off topic but just intrested to know how mnay years of experience you have in teaching and whats your education?
Hope you having good time in Riyadh...

AGirlWithKaleidoscopeEyes wrote:

Yes, this my first time teaching abroad. I'm really excited, but nervous because I've heard such mixed stories about this company. I'm very optimistic though, and make the best of everything, so I think I'll be okay. I would love to teach at Princess Noura, which is where I think I'll be placed, I'm just not 100% sure. I also hope I can meet people from other compounds and attend social events at the Embassy so I can meet as many people as possible.

I won't comment on AETG; go to Dave's ESL Cafe's country-specific job discussion forums (click here) for info related to TEFLing in the Kingdom.  But rest assured, wherever you're placed, your neighbors will be other female EFL teachers; they'll help you get settled in and acclimated to your new environment.

Its one of the best training compamies in ksa not just riyadh welcom and im sure u will enjoy working there,  :top:

AGirlWithKaleidoscopeEyes wrote:

Thanks for your advice! It is much appreciated. Who is your friend living in Riyadh? Could I contact him?

Yes of course you can contact him. Just take a day to relax and then start your adventure in the enchanted city of Riyadh. Were my guessings right regarding your workplace?

My friend's name is Mack from salisbury in the USA. and when you decide to contact him, just tell me and I will refer you to him . He is also an ESL teacher in Riyadh..

Hope your first day is ok so far..

Regards,

I taught for a year after college to young adults (ages 16-25) at a place called "Job Corps". In the US, Job Corps is a government funded program for troubled youth; it helps them get their High School Diploma or GED (many students never completed high school), and while their attain their education, they also work for a trade, such as plumbing, nursing, construction, and computer sciences. It was very rewarding to teach students who had failed in the public school system. Many were homeless, abused, or part of gangs. Some just needed a second chance.

I taught reading and the TABE test (TABE=test for Adult Basic Education. while working there I also taught the ESL students. Most of my students were from Africa or Haiti, but some were from Burma, and Japan.

I have a bachelor arts degree in English Adolescence Education ( English Language Arts - different from ESL), and I am certified to teach grades 7-12.

Check your facebook account, I sent you the contact details..

Regards,

hello...just wondering what people think of Al-Kahleej as an employer. I may be offered work by them.

Hi, AGirlWithKaleidoscopeEyes (or anyone else who has been employed via AKTE) I take it you are in KSA now?

I too got an offer and then visa documents (medical, all that) with still no direct and precise answers (let alone an actual contract) regarding placement, position,salary, etc.

I would never accept a job--let alone go though and pay for all the medical/background/visa fees here (Canada)--without a contract, let alone in another country.

I would really like to speak to someone who has gone through this process before I proceed. When did you get a contract? Or even learn where you were going or what you will be exactly doing?

(My teaching background at the college level--English literature, advanced. Education: ABD PhD in English Literature [also MFA, BA]. I read various languages, speak fewer. I have travelled quite a bit, but never to KSA.)

Thank you!
Hannah

Hello

I am also lined up to start with AKTE in a few weeks' time - things have just got delayed in South Africa because the cultural attache wants qualifications to jump through a whole lot of impossible hoops. I have a contract but don't know where I'll be going. Any feedback at all on AKTE would be appreciated. I am hoping to go to either Tabouk or Khobar. Good luck with your own situation and stay in touch!

Hello,

I will be starting work in Saudi Arabia for the first time in a few days and I was just wondering what to bring (or otherwise? For example when I was about to leave for South Korea, I had to pack some cosmetics I could not find there.

I am also curious about Al Khaleej's Training and Education working conditions and about one's general experience about living and working in Saudi for the first time.

Thank you, I will greatly appreciate everyone's input :).

SA-SK-KSA

I started working for Al-Khaleej on May 3.  That's the day the company flew me into Riyadh.

It was a Thursday, the beginning of the weekend.  After a couple days of sitting in a hotel without any contact from the company, I realized Al Khaleej was not as organized or concerned about me as an individual as I had hoped.

And that is my toughest criticism of the company-- it is not particularly concerned about you as a person.

But this should not be a great surprise.  Al Khaleej is massive.  It is bringing in native speakers from three or four different countries every couple of weeks.    With so many teachers and surprisingly few employees committed to those teachers' adjustment (indeed there is not one employee at Al-Khaleej whose job could be called "teacher support") Al-Khaleej simply cannot hold anyone's hand.

But the company's shortcomings may not affect your experience.  Your experience will be determined by your placement.

After as little as two days or as much as two weeks in Riyadh you will be placed at either a university project or a Direct English institute in Riyadh or elsewhere.  You could be working in the north near Jordan, or the east near Bahrain, or in the center of Riyadh.  You could live on a compound.  Or (like me) you could live in an apartment you found on your own.  Your manager and colleagues could be great.  Or they could be intolerable. 

There are so many factors that it's tough to tell you what it will be like for you.

Still, if you have questions, feel free to email me.

[email protected]

Hi davidsummers,

Thank you for your response to my email.

The information you provided makes sense. I definitely have couple of questions to ask you.

I am a bit worried now about the lack of teacher support on arrival.

Thanks again,
SA-SK-KSA

Thanks David will do so if I ever get there! Have they taken your passport yet?

A friend told me a story similar to David's, about a new Russian teacher who was taken to an apartment with no water and left alone all weekend.  Apparently she was on a business visa because after 3 days with no contact, she went to the airport and booked a flight home.

It may be a record for the shortest period of time a teacher spent here!

If I were you I wouldn't worry about it.

I just felt a little let down when I arrived because I had high expectations that weren't met. 

But these expectations were made high by employees of Skyline and not employees of Al-Khaleej. 

When you get into Riyadh, Al-Khaleej will put you in a hotel (Al Sulimaniya).  There's a great (American) guy who works for Al-Khaleej who will likely be there.  His name is Bill and his title is Academic Supervisor.  He's taken it upon himself to welcome new teachers to the company.  Go get dinner with him and let him tell you 'how it is'.  He's a straight talker and will answer any question you have honestly.  He will leave for holiday however on July 3.  So if you arrive after that date you may feel a little alone. 

So, in short, prepare for a week of uncertainty upon your arrival.  It shouldn't bother you.  Honestly, if someone had given me the head's up I'm giving you, I wouldn't have batted an eye at the sudden boredom I felt my first few days here. 

And, again, if you've got questions, ask away.

To Alliecat's post:

Al-Khaleej will not do anything nearly that shocking to its employees. 

I swear I can sense you all recoil at the idea of coming here now.  I can literally feel you all thinking, "Oh, shit what I have done?!"

Stop that.  You needn't.

You will be taken care of.  You just won't be coddled. 

There is difference.  A significant difference.

On your first full business day in KSA, you will visit Al-Khaleej's main office.

There you will hand in your passport so that your iqama can begin to be processed. 

In place of your passport you will be given a letter that identifies Al-Khaleej as your sponsor.  This letter will satisfy any authority who may (for whatever reason) want to see identification.

davidmsummers wrote:

To Alliecat's post:

Al-Khaleej will not do anything nearly that shocking to its employees. 

I swear I can sense you all recoil at the idea of coming here now.  I can literally feel you all thinking, "Oh, shit what I have done?!"

Stop that.  You needn't.

You will be taken care of.  You just won't be coddled. 

There is difference.  A significant difference.

That was the only story I ever heard like that--somebody *really* dropped the ball!

All I can say to teachers thinking about coming to KSA is 1.  all recruiters aren't created equal so do your homework; and 2. it's an adventure, you've nothing to lose and you'll make some $$ to pay off debt back home.

Some people don't adjust and leave at end of contract while others quite like it here and remain a while.  You'll never unless you try it :)

SA-SK-KSA wrote:

I will be starting work in Saudi Arabia for the first time in a few days....

I am also curious about Al Khaleej's Training and Education working conditions and about one's general experience about living and working in Saudi for the first time.

Seriously?  You're leaving in a few days and are just now asking these important questions? :blink:

I won't comment on Al Khaleej, but suggest you quickly read up on Saudi culture and gender segregation, especially on the adjustments you'll need to make as a woman.  More importantly, come to the Kingdom with very low expectations, a lot of patience, an open mind, and a sense of humor.  Seriously.

smurfette wrote:

come to the Kingdom with very low expectations, a lot of patience, an open mind, and a sense of humor.  Seriously.

:one

smurfette,

I have been reading and talking to others for months about life in Saudi for expats prior my post to this blog. I do not take moving there lightyly.

I have had experience working in South Korea for 3 years, so I am open minded about coming out there :).I know SK and Saudi are two different countries with totally different cultures. However, I am hopeful that I will pull through.

Thank you for your input :).

SA-SK-KSA

smurfette:

your final recommendations are spot-on.

I've just had an offer from AL KAHLEEJ Training and Education of employment in Saudi Arabia: Does anyone have any recent expoerience of working for them? 

Also any information on the accomodation provided would be helpful.
Is anyone familiar with the AL KAREEM compound in Tabouk  and indeed Tabouk(Tabuk) itself ?

Suggestions for items to bring which are unavailable in the Kingdom ?

HI
Al Khaleej sent me a teacher's manual that includes a short description of the Al-Kareem compound and Tabuk. Send me an email address and I can forward it to you if you haven't got it.

Hi Heidi,

I already have the Teachers Manual unfortuntely it doesn't give much info on Tabuk or the accomodation or indeed the town itself .

Where will you be working ? Do you know yet ?

Maybe we don't have the same teacher's manual? :)No, I don't know where I'll be going and I almost didn't go after a drawn-out confusion on this side about the new regulations for South Africans. I hope I'll know soon! It would be good to go to tabuk to be able to escape to jordan every once in a while!

I got the same manual and photos of a compound. Note this is outdated and also just an example.

You will not know where you will be until you get there.

Currently, the standard employment teaching contract (from what I have seen and been told) just gives you a a few hundred USD monthly housing allowance (even if e-mails, offer letter, etc. say that western-style housing in a compound will be provided). It says nothing about airfare.

I also have had difficulty contacting AKTE directly (regarding the above and clear copies of official documents required for my visa).

I don't work for them, but know about them.  They are very big and well known. Just know that this culture is very different from other places (Arab World included).

The big cities are nice in a big city way, but the smaller places have more character and are usually better for saving money. Anywhere in Saudi Arabia you may get the feeling that you are a lesser being because you are not Saudi. It is not intentional, most cultures feel that they are God's chosen people and everyone is lower.

People may lie to you about things that don't make sense to lie about. Get any agreements in writing because if it isn't written it didn't happen and that is one of the lies to deal with.

Generally Saudi people are friendly and warm if you are the same with them. I have made some close friends who i trust. This is like any other country except your employer won't be worried about making you feel at home. You are like any other imported labor. You are the hired help and the sooner you get comfortable with that, the better you will enjoy your stay here.

I would say: of course it's intentional to make you think that you're a lesser being because you're not a Saudi. And as a student of culture, I can confidently assert that most cultures actually do NOT think they're God's chosen people.
That aside, as working for them and sitting in Riyadh right now, possibly for another two months before I start working: BE VERY VERY CAREFUL.Do not believe what seems to be too good to be true: it is.

No hard feelings 'this-guy'. I agree with Heidi, I have worked in South Korea and everyone there tried their best to make me feel at home and was not treated like a 'servant'.

My current personal experience with Al Khaleej is not good at all. 1) Major delay: I have been given the run around by them about my contract resulting to a delayed visa process. When I inquire I get different stories about everything. That alone has proven how much they do not care about us as individuals and professionals. A part of me is thankful that I have not come out there as it will give me even more time to look for other opportunities elsewhere. I have also experienced very poor communication during the recruitment process.