Questions about getting marriage and living in the Netherlands

I am 20 years old and my fiance is 21 years old. I live in California and he lives in the Netherlands. We have been in a relationship for five years and this Christmas, he proposed to me. In the five years we been together, he has came to visit me in California two times and I have traveled to the Netherlands many times to visit him. I try to visit him as much a possible which usually is two times a year since we miss each other dearly. The distance and time zone difference is difficult, but we are willing to wait to be with each other. We love each other deeply and always talk about starting our life together. While I'm in my last semester of college, my fiance has already finished college and has a good computer job at Itera. I really enjoy traveling to the Netherlands since it is a beautiful country and I love seeing the different culture. I would love to live in the Netherlands in the future since I believe it has more benefits than America and is much safer for when we decide to have children. Of course there is more reasons, but I won't go into that since that isn't my main question. Me and my fiance have been considering getting married in one or two years. I have been searching for the requirements to move to the Netherlands and how long the process takes. It is difficult to find out where I need to begin since each website says different things. I have been using the IND website too see which conditions apply and I got to this page:

http://english.ind.nl/residencewizard/v … =1&lang=en

To live in the Netherlands with my fiance it says our marriage must be registered, we must apply for a temporary residence permit to conclude a marriage, you are not a danger to public order (which I'm not), you are 21 or older (which I will be at the time), you will live with your (future) spouse or (future) registered partner as soon as you arrive in the Netherlands, you are intending to run a joint household with your (future) spouse or (future) registered partner,you are going to register yourself at the same address as your (future) spouse or (future) registered partner.

The requirements for my fiance are that he is 21 or older, he enjoys sufficient income in the Netherlands, and he is Dutch. My fiance meets all the requirements that are listed from the IND.

One thing I am confused on is the civic integration examination. I know the civic integration examination is a test designed to assess basic knowledge of the Dutch language and Dutch society. However, IND says "you are exempted from taking the civil integration test if you have the American nationality." Then I was reading about the Regular Provisional Residence Permit(MVV) and it says this "Foreign nationals with a nationality for which no MVV obligation applies: the United States of America." Does that mean I will not have to take the civic integration examination or obtain a MVV since I am American? I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly since it seems like it would be too easy to not have to take the exam or get a MVV. If it is true, then what will I need to do in order to gain citizenship to the Netherlands?

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me out by telling me what forms we need to fill out in order to get married and for me to become a citizen. I know we need to fill out a form in order to get married, but I don't know much information about it or what we need to do. I also would appreciate if you say how long the process takes so I know when we should start filling out the forms and beginning the process.

My last question is if anyone knows if a associate degree in Social and Behavioral Science would be accepted in the Netherlands. I know associate degrees equal about a MBO 4, but I'm not sure if associate degrees are recognized there since the Netherlands doesn't have associate degrees.

I apologize for creating such a long thread and asking so many questions. I'm just so confused at what we need to do and would appreciate some advise since I don't even know where to begin or what to do.

Hi Jenniator,

First of all: welcome on board on this site.

You have indeed many questions, which is allright.

About the MVV: you saw on the website of the IND that they have information about the MVV and you are confused about it.
The IND is THE organisation who knows everything about this subject. So, I will strongly advise you to contact them about your request. You can do this by email or  let your fiance call them.

About the acceptance of foreign degrees and diploma's: I know there is an organisation who can tell you which diploma's are eccepted.
Unfortionally for you on this moment I don't know.
This sounds maybe stupid but you can ask the Embassy of America in the Netherlands or the IBG Group in Groningen.

Your fiance can go to the cityhall of his current city and ask at the Burgerzaken for the information about the marriage.
I think this will be a good start and they can tell him what and where he must be to get all the paperwork.

I wish you all the best and good luck.

I once spoke to an American and she also told me all of this, she did not have to do the exam. My husband too he is from Morocco, but because Iam British he also did not need to do the exam. Both she and he were able to apply for the residency permit as soon as they entered NL, my husband got his within a couple of weeks. As soon as you arrive here get your husband to make an appointment right away at the gemeente te register you are here and then call the IND to make an appointment.

Thank you Primadonna. Thank you for welcoming me to the site! All of these questions have been on my mind lately. It is wonderful to know there is an organization that can tell me which diploma's are accepted. It is a shame you can't remember the name, but it is nice to know there is one. We will need to go to city hall or the Embassy since they are the people that are knowledgeable about this situation. It is difficult though since I'm in America. It is also difficult for my fiance since he has been very busy with work and everything. Thank you for the best wishes!

Thank you very much Andrea! It is very shocking to hear that you spoke to an American and she didn't have to take the exam nor did your husband. It is wonderful news to me since I have been struggling with dutch since it is a difficult language. I've been practicing and improving each time I visit, but it still is very tough for me. Before I move to the Netherlands, I will be sure to contact city hall and the Embassy to make sure I have the legal documents. I also want to see what I need to do before I arrive so I am prepared.