Living in the NL with my girlfriend

me and my girlfriend are looking ways to get a residence permit for me to live in the NL. We see the procedure but some questions are bothering me. How certain it is that i will get a permit to live with my girlfriend? Looks like she can apply online for me but i dont know which documents i need. May someone throughly explain me this process please? i am confused by all the information

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

A slight play on your words here.  If he/she is your girlfriend, then you won't get a residence permit based on that.  If she is your partner, then that is different and provided you meet certain conditions, you may be given a permit.  I suggest you follow this link and follow it through, at the end, you will have an answer to your question.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks! Guess you were right. We are not married but we are in an exclusive relationship. We will live in the same house. a small questions too, since i am turkish, do i need to get civic examination? Accoeding to the website, i dont have to. Also, according to website do i have to have sort of income? Because there is a form that states my partner can sponsor for me. i feel like i read different information everywhere

Does this mean that the girlfriend is dutch?

Hi again.

If you follow the process through the link on the IND website, but make sure you look at it as if you were your partner filling it in.  It is your partner who will be applying using her BSN and DigiD references to log into the Dutch Government system.

Turkish nationals do not have to take the Integration Exam (Inburgeringsexamen).

The income part is relevant because if she sponsors you, she has to be able to support you.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

You have been great help as always Cynic. All the fog has been cleared. We will go through with the process now. Thank you!

yes, she is.

Veli Furkan TURKOGLU wrote:

You have been great help as always Cynic. All the fog has been cleared. We will go through with the process now. Thank you!

Then I wish you both the best of luck with your move to the Netherlands and your life together.

Ok, so it makes somewhat difference because your Turkish. I was asking because I am currently in the Netherlands visiting my bf. And we were looking for ways for me to stay but it's very difficult cause there is no other way than to learn the language and do the exam.

I think, I dont have to take that exam at all if civic integration exam is the language exam. I hope you can figure it out though. It looks somewhat similar to English. I have been learning it for couple of months now.

Cynic, I  appreciate your good wishes. I have one last question if you allow me. On the website, I read something like this "MVV sometimes can supply work permit along with residence permit." Is this statement true? If I can get MVV, will I be able to work as well?

It's not a Dutch thing, all across the EU, Turkish citizens do not have to integrate.

Cynic, I  appreciate your good wishes. I have one last question if you allow me. On the website, I read something like this "MVV sometimes can supply work permit along with residence permit." Is this statement true? If I can get MVV, will I be able to work as well?

MVV is a joint residence and work permit; so yes, you can work.  The only people I can think of who can't work are TCN students because Dutch Law forbids any student from working for more than 16 hours p/week; effectively blocking them from the labour market.

Great news, also it is great that I dont have to take the exam! Made my day. Appreciate it!

Cynic wrote:

MVV is a joint residence and work permit; so yes, you can work.  The only people I can think of who can't work are TCN students because Dutch Law forbids any student from working for more than 16 hours p/week; effectively blocking them from the labour market.

According to my partner, what she has read so far MVV is not residence and work permit. Is there a link that i can see MVV is a joint permit?

Hi again.

This page from the IND website explains the MVV visa (link).

Cynic wrote:

Hi again.

This page from the IND website explains the MVV visa (link).

Thank you, but I cannot see anything regarding "work permit" in this page.

The MVV is the long-stay work visa in the Netherlands.  It depends how you apply, so if you are sponsored, it is a family visa; if you are a skilled migrant, it is another sort, all generally MVV, but as you have a sponsor, who will be financially responsible for you, they don't worry too much about you being able to work.  If you were applying in your own right, then another government department would scrutinise your application and say whether you had any chance of finding work in Holland.  If you were applying as a religious reader, again a different sort of long-stay visa, same as sportspeople, musicians, they all get a long-stay visa to do their specific thing.  As I said earlier, the only group that cannot freely work are students, but that's not a visa restriction, ALL students in the Netherlands have the same limit, the thought is you are there to study, not work.

but you said this, at which part I am able to freely work in the Netherlands?

I hit send too early, go back to the post, I've added some more and will probably add some more later as I find some other bits.

but you said this, at which part I am able to freely work in the Netherlands?

You will be able to work from the moment you are registered at the Gemeente and have your BSN/DigiD.

The only thing to consider is if your work is regulated (Medical, Engineer, Scientist etc), whether your diplomas are accepted in the Netherlands.  Many of these skilled jobs require that you speak Dutch to a native level for your diplomas to be recognised, this is nothing to do with immigration, but a requirement of Dutch law.

So, when I get my MVV and Residence permit, I will be registered with my partner in her house which means I will be registered at a Gemente right?

Also I found this "
If your partner is a Dutch citizen, whether, by birth or acquisition, the back of your residence permit should state the words ‘arbeid vrij toegestaan. TWV niet vereist', which means “work freely allowed. TWV not required”. TWV stands for ‘tewerkstellingsvergunning', which means work permit."

how reliable is this information?

So, when I get my MVV and Residence permit, I will be registered with my partner in her house which means I will be registered at a Gemente right?

Not quite, you will be registered at your partners address when you have registered with the Gemeente and received your BSN (Burgerservicenummer) and DigiD.  You are given 5 days from the date of arrival to make an appointment at the Gemeentehuis, the actual appointment may take longer than that (Covid has many Civil Servants working from home).  A tip, when you have your appointment, ask the person interviewing you to tell you your BSN number from the screen in front of her, otherwise you will be waiting for the postman.  Most employers will start you just knowing your BSN

Also I found this "
If your partner is a Dutch citizen, whether, by birth or acquisition, the back of your residence permit should state the words ‘arbeid vrij toegestaan. TWV niet vereist', which means “work freely allowed. TWV not required”. TWV stands for ‘tewerkstellingsvergunning', which means work permit.

how reliable is this information?

That quote is from the Immigration Lawyers London website, they are reputable; it pretty much reflects what I have on the back of my card, albeit mine is much older and uses other words (when I did this, the BSN was called your SOFI number).  The TWV is a work permit issued to foreign nationals who come to work, but don't intend to stay in the Netherlands (so less than 90 days), there is another called the GVVA; these are generally being replaced by what they call Schengen visas, which can be used for both holiday and business.

Hope this helps.

So, how can I get work permit if I want to stay more than 90 days with my partner

EDIT: I think I got it right, when I become a resident, I wont require the TWV which I will be able to work freely otherwise, why would I be a resident? Just to nosepick at home, right?

Because the MVV is your work and residence permit; the requirement to register at the Gemeentehuis is something that everybody has to do; it's only a hassle the first time you do it because, until that first time, you can't register at the doctor, can't buy/register a car, can't pay taxes, can't get health insurance - there's more.  After that, if you move, you have to go back to the Gemeente and de-register and then re-register at the Gemeente where you have moved to, but you keep your same BSN and DigiD, so not so much hassle.

So, how can I get work permit if I want to stay more than 90 days with my partner

EDIT: I think I got it right, when I become a resident, I wont require the TWV which I will be able to work freely otherwise, why would I be a resident? Just to nosepick at home, right?

The TWV, for example, you are a salesman and want to go to Holland to sell whatever it is your company makes, so you are going to Holland to work, but have no intention to stay, you're covered by your own work contract and national health insurance - but you still need a Visa, so TWV or more recently the Schengen visa will permit you to stay in any EU country for up to 90 days in a 180 day period.  I mention Schengen as it is an EU thing and it's more flexible for business if that same businessman can travel to (for example) the Netherlands, then Germany, then Belgium, then back home to France, all on the same visa.  In fact, it's more and less than just the EU (confused); what I mean is not all the EU have signed up to it and some non-EU countries have signed up.

Thanks for all the clarification Cynic. I truly appreciate it.
In the checklist, I have this "​The fully completed and signed appendix Antecedents certificate (in this statement your partner declares whether they have a criminal record, and if so, for which offences)"

Should I still present my criminal records in Dutch with apositle or is this document going to be enough?

Hi again.

I guess you're referring to the 2 questions "are currently being prosecuted, or have been prosecuted"?  I don't think it's a document that can be apostilled, these being documents issued by Government public departments i.e. birth certificates.  The form doesn't stipulate an apostille, so I wouldn't ask questions about it, just answer the questions truthfully.

I will answer them truthfully. It is just strange that they dont want me to present any documents from my country to prove that I have not committed any crimes

LOL - do you know how difficult it is to prove that you didn't do something?  The apostille system in general only refers to things that can be proven by Government records, i.e. that you were born, that you got married, that you died, that you are divorced; the notary signing it is saying that what you have declared is backed up by the public record, which is why a criminal records check will only reveal things you have done, not that you haven't committed a crime.  You may have been convicted in another country than your home nation knows about.  They are really fishing types of questions, they have international police links that they can use to follow up on any answer you may give.

They may come back and ask you further questions if they have any doubts.

Allright haha. You are right. Never thought it that way. Thanks a lot.

I am just being overly picky and trying to get everything as correct as possible...