Virsli

I just looked up in my Angol / Magyar dictionary and it translates Virsli as Frankfurter. I've always regarded a Frankfurter as a kind of sausage but it seems that in Hungary the word sausage (kolbász) does not encompass everything cylindrical, containing meat. I've bought plenty of Virsli so I know what they taste like but something I've never been sure about is whether they are sold cooked or raw. I've always cooked them but sometimes I've cut them up to put in stew or other dishes and noticed that they look cooked. Can anyone clarify this? Kolbász are sold in both raw and cooked forms but the cooked ones have a wrinkled appearance.

Sausage is a traditional method of preserving meat, and in any country it is the same: it is normally cured with salts then smoked (cooked) or dried (requires additional special processing of the meat to kill such pathogens as trichinosis) for later consumption. If prepared correctly, you do not have to cook such sausage. This includes both kolbász and Frankfurters (but why anyone would eat Frankfurters cold is a good question). But you may re-cook any sausage as an additional step if you want.

The exception to the above is fresh sausages (such as hurka in Hungarian), which contains uncured raw meat, and must be cooked and eaten right away. Those are usually displayed next to the other raw meats in a butcher shop. Of course, some cured and smoked sausages are also displayed there, but they look different.

Most cheap "Virsli" is completely artificially produced from industrial byproducts. Cooking should not make much difference. It has very little to do with meat... Same goes for "parizsi", which is essentially the same substance in a different shape and flavoring, and is eaten raw.