Where to buy shortcrust pastry?

Does anyone know a supermarket which sells shortcrust pastry (porhanyós tészta in Hungarian), the type you use for making meat pies, tarts, etc?

This was something I could not find when living in Germany, had to always stock up in the UK. But Hungarian cooking seems to me more geared towards pastry dishes, so I was thinking they had to have it here, only I have not had any luck so far...

[Please don't tell me: make your own!]

Sumarokov wrote:

Does anyone know a supermarket which sells shortcrust pastry (porhanyós tészta in Hungarian), the type you use for making meat pies, tarts, etc?

This is a really tough one.  The only type we've been able to find is the layered kind "leveles tészta".  We're thinking of it these days as an opportunity to create variants on typical UK dishes using local ingredients.

If anyone knows where to buy Schwarz Madras curry powder or UK diet (zero sugar) Ginger Beer, that'd be nice to hear about.

In Hungary people don't bother much with convenience foods and shortcrust pastry is so easy to make that they would just buy the flour, marj etc and do it themselves.

Sumarokov wrote:

:lol:

Its so easy to make by yourself, it cost you less effort than try to find any in the stores. And most of all: it tastes better and you know what you use. Make several batters in one time and put the rest in the freezer for your own convenience.

You can find at Interspar a product called blatterteig (in German, and leveles tészta in Hungarian) that should work for meat pies. It comes in a long thin box, like plastic wrap or aluminium foil, and like plastic wrap you just unroll it and place it into your pie pan.

klsallee wrote:

You can find at Interspar a product called blatterteig (in German, and leveles tészta in Hungarian) that should work for meat pies. It comes in a long thin box, like plastic wrap or aluminium foil, and like plastic wrap you just unroll it and place it into your pie pan.

That's more for cakes isn't  it?   Not really for savoury things. Shortcrust could be for both.

fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:

That's more for cakes isn't  it?   Not really for savoury things. Shortcrust could be for both.

My wife will often cut this dough into strips, and add grated cheese, spices and salt on top. Works fine for us for non-sweet dishes. But different palates may differ in that opinion.

But it is the only "ready made" dough of this type here that I know of myself. So either that, or make your own (which was specifically requested as a non-answer).

klsallee wrote:

....my wife will often cut this dough into strips, and add grated cheese, spices and salt on top. Works fine for us for non-sweet dishes. But different palates may differ in that opinion.

But it is the only "ready made" dough of this type here that I know of myself. So either that, or make your own (which was specifically requested as a non-answer).

We also use it for semi-savoury things.  It makes rather nice cinnamon, apple and raisin tartlets.  I think shortcrust pastry is really easy to make so it hardly seems a major difficulty.  It's only flour, fat (of some description) and salt.  Maybe the flour could be the issue as some of it here doesn't quite seem the same as from the UK.

There is one for sweets and one for making pizza. The pizza one may work for you. I personally would rather go without than make my own. I have used both quite successfully in a variety of ways other than their intended purposes.

The mix is available at www.thebritishpantry.hu

fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:

Blatterteig in Geman, puff pastry in English, can used for sweet and and savoury purposes, not for cakes.
This kind of pastry will rise and then you see the different layers.