Furniture removals from UK to Egypt

Hello,

When I move to Egypt I will want to bring all the belongings, furniture etc from house here.
Will this be possible? Is there a shipping company that deals
with this sort of thing?

Regards :cool:

Hi vkblue1986 !

Maybe you could enquire with our partner here: https://www.expat.com/en/movers/africa/egypt/cairo/

Good luck
Armand

Expect to pay a lot of custom taxes (as if all your stuff is new) in Egypt!

Hi vkblue,

If you check the following web address - www.crownrelo.com - they do have an Edinburgh office - they operate worldwide and are very professional, they will be able to provide you with a quote and  advise on all aspects including customs charges.

Good luck with the move.

Do you have more information now, vkblue1986 ? Maybe you can share that, so other users can benefit from it?

I wouldn't recommend it. A friend of mine did this before and ended up paying an arm and a leg for customs and taxes.

Another friend had some items stolen by customs officers.

Yes they are mostly low-lives with no ethics whatsoever.

Also they mishandle your items ....etc.

My advice ..... The money you will pay for shipping (twice, to take things back with you when you are done in Egypt) + customs + possible damages to items in transit, is much more than money you can spend for cheap-but-practical furniture in Egypt.

You can also look for expats moving out and selling their used furniture in Egypt at dirt cheap prices.

if you are moving for good, however, I believe it's a rather different story

really not worth it - you pay alot in import taxes!!

hi, When I moved from UK to Egypt in 2000 I also shipped my whole household items.  I used a UK  removal company, they came and then transferred it all into a shipping container, which took 6 weeks and arrived in Alexandria.I had asked first about import duty and was told that as it was used furniture and it was not for resale I would not have to pay. WRONG. it cost me an arm and a leg especially if you bring white goods, I could have furnished a home here with the money I paid for the shipping and the duty I had to pay, plus they confiscated my printer, said I couldnt have it as it was a printer/fax/scanner in one machine and in those days it appears only a company could have this type of printer, now of course they sell them here. There was quite a lot of damage caused by customs in Alex. In 2005 I returned to UK and shipped much of it back, it was OK doing it that way, hardly any damage, but in 2007, once again I came back to Egypt and yes I did it again, this time I didnt bring any white goods and I shipped it freight but this meant I had to arrange onward transport from Alex to Cairo, it was better this time. If i was you I would crate all the things you can't leave behind, ie keepsakes, books, clothing etc and bring as little as possible, certainly NOT furniture or white goods.Good luck

what do you mean by white goods?

washing machine, fridge etc... they are usually white..
The opposite is: brown goods, examples of brown goods are: television and wireless sets; microwave ovens; coffee makers; and personal computers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_appliance

Lots of shipping company which are move furniture to Egypt.but you shoud pay a lot of custom taxes.in my opening you can buy furniture from  Egypt.

Hi I am new here and just coming here and found a useful discussion.

My friend had their whole container stolen!

Dear Yasmeen-Hosni
could you please call me or send me text to my number so i can call you because .
it seams like you have good experience with Egyptian customs.
as im moving some of my furniture to Egypt and i know how can bee very tough and difficult with costumes  my number is 07767227739 if you please send me your number so i can call you to get more information that will be will appreciated.
thank you very much.
Ahmed..

To Egypt? You sure you wanna live there? This country is not as freindly as you think...

Greetings / [link moderated]

Hi ketorpon,
Are you living in Egypt?

@ ketorpon and missmash > Just to inform you that this thread is very old (2012).

If actually you have some questions and are seeking for some information, i invite you to create a new thread in the Egypt forum.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers: