Soon moving to Cairo / Giza

I am pretty excited to move to Egypt in the month of October / November this year. This forum has indeed given me a fair insight to what the life will be in Cairo / Giza. My work place will be in Smart Village & I have tried to look for 1bedroom flat near to work - however it seems the online market place is not very active in Egypt (compared to India / USA/ China) or maybe I was not able to find ample options.
I was looking for advise on the following:
1) The initial plan is to stay in Egypt for 3 years - is it advisable to rent a 1Bedroom flat or is it worth investing to buy the same? How much will a 1 BHK flat cost in that area - can be outskirts of the town as well?
2) Though I don't plan to move my kids as of now - I would like to know how has been the experiance of those who have sent their kids to school (class 9th)? Is education good & does it hold perspective later i.e. preparing for medical / engineering collages? Are english speaking schools of good standard?
3) Is it advisable to buy a used car / scooter? Is two wheeler a socially excepted mode if transport? (some countries it is not!).

Hello drsachinks

Hope soon enough somebody out there will be able to help you out.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

drsachinks wrote:

1) The initial plan is to stay in Egypt for 3 years - is it advisable to rent a 1Bedroom flat or is it worth investing to buy the same? How much will a 1 BHK flat cost in that area - can be outskirts of the town as well?

it would be hard to find 1 bedroom flat because in Egypt even the 100 m have 2 bedrooms , and as I see you think that you might get your kids here so try from the beginning to get 2bedrooms flat. if you want to buy one it would be much more expensive but when you are going to sell it after the three years it would get you more for sure because in Egypt everything get more expensive by the time. "outskirts " not advisable .

drsachinks wrote:

2) Though I don't plan to move my kids as of now - I would like to know how has been the experiance of those who have sent their kids to school (class 9th)? Is education good & does it hold perspective later i.e. preparing for medical / engineering collages? Are english speaking schools of good standard?

in general you would get them into private school because the government school is too bad or if you want you can get them into international schools we have Dutch,French and American schools in Egypt but "very expensive" can be 60,000 L.E = 9,000 $ per year , for me I studied in private school and now in college of engineering and it's good for me but I hadn't study in another country to compare

drsachinks wrote:

3) Is it advisable to buy a used car / scooter? Is two wheeler a socially excepted mode if transport? (some countries it is not!)

if you mean by  "two wheeler" Motorcycle then it's yes and if you mean bicycle also yes but the bicycle isn't helpful as the distance are really big so car is preferred and try to buy a used once in a good condition just 2 years old modle can save you 20~40 thousand LE = 2000~4000 euro 
If you need anything I would happy to help :)

Hi Omar,
First of all - Thank you for taking out time to respond to my queries.

How much will the private school (English medium school) with medium of communication as English would cost for a Class 10th & a class 1 student? Will you be able to suggest some schools which are decent & not very expensive?

Will you also be able to share any websites which are popular in terms of finding used cars / motorcycles & where I can find classifieds for property to rent / buy.

Best Regards,

Sachin

Hi ,
first of all as we say in Egypt  "no thanks for a duty" :D I am here to help . for the schools unfortunately I can't be useful for you  as I am not from Cairo I moved there when I started the college last year so I don't know about schools I know only about universities so maybe other member would be useful.
as for the website you can use this one " https://egypt.dubizzle.com/en " you would find cars \ motorcycles \ flats and villas but I prefer that you come to Egypt first for a week and stay at a hotel and start search in the ground for property  that suit you because the pic never like the reality and also to see the place around it
If you want anything else it would always be a pleasure to help :)

Hi. We are the owner of one bedroom studio in mohandseen area for 3000 le per month.you will not pay any excess fees .if interested send me . Thanks

P.S in general when yo go to on the ground away from the internet you would find that a 2 bedrooms flat will cost 2000~3000 LE \month and you might even find 3 bedrooms with that range depends on the place you might stay into and it's very advisable to have an Egyptian friend to help you especially at your first months and especially in the flat stuff because they might rise the price as you are foreign so  you don't know the prices
-------------------
have a nice time