Understanding Kiev Living

I may soon be moving to Kiev. How well can a family of three live in Kiev with an income of $30,000.00 per year, U.S.? My apartment would be furnished and provided with utilities paid also. I would be working and living in the Pechersk area. Any feedback would be welcome.

Good morning dkr1995 and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope other members will share some info with you soon!

Best of luck :)

Francesca

If you do not have to pay for the apartment then it is a quite nice money. Although I assume that a third person who lives with you is a kid who needs to visit a kindergarder, school or be with a nany. These are additional expenses. I would say 1000 USD net per month is not bad money for an adult who do not need to pay for apartment, return loans etc. In other words it is enough for decent food, clothes and going out on weekends.

I will have no financial obligations other than food and transportation, and maybe Internet. Everything else will be covered as far as the basics of living. I will not need a car but at some point I'm sure I will want to purchase one.

dkr1995 wrote:

I will have no financial obligations other than food and transportation, and maybe Internet. Everything else will be covered as far as the basics of living. I will not need a car but at some point I'm sure I will want to purchase one.

I am not sure whether it is enough for saving on a car. But everything depends on you. In general this is not bad.

dkr1995 with that kind of income you will be feeling very well ))

To give you an idea:

drink @ a local club - $10
pizza+ delivery - $12
meal  - ~$5-10
internet - $15/month
cab  - ~$7 (pechersk to say downtown kreschatyk)
barber  - $25
masseuse - $ $20
dental work exam - ~$ 30

GreyKyiv wrote:
dkr1995 wrote:

I am not sure whether it is enough for saving on a car. But everything depends on you. In general this is not bad.

It is not just "not bad", but using the phrase I once heard in the States - that kind of income in Kiev would be "fantabilous"

I mean the average salary for the city is only about $550 / month. So you will be more than OK.

Thank you for your response. Very helpful.

L1sa wrote:

To give you an idea:

pizza+ delivery - $12
meal  - ~$5-10
internet - $15/month
barber  - $25
masseuse - $ $20
dental work exam - ~$ 30

much more expensive from Egypt! but according to Europe it is equal

don moe wrote:
L1sa wrote:

To give you an idea:

pizza+ delivery - $12
meal  - ~$5-10
internet - $15/month
barber  - $25
masseuse - $ $20
dental work exam - ~$ 30

much more expensive from Egypt! but according to Europe it is equal

...AND THAT IS THE POINT

@oleggy - Can you please lower caps lock when writing? ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi,

Living in Kiev is quite economical if your accommodation is taken care by your company. $2500 a month = 20000 UAH which is quite decent amount to go with. Area where you will be living is quite good there are some residential like Rebalkaya, Gosovyska and near pecharska metro are very nice to live having nice restaurants around with almost all Ukranian big banks and even departmental stores.
Let me give you approx breakup of cost of living :
$1 = 8 UAH
1) Metro : 2 UAH (from any where to any where till the time u are not getting out from metro)
2) ~500 UAH / week (Food Including Wine and other beverage)
3) ~35 UAH (4.5$) from your place to city center (if you book it on phone).
  ~50 - 70 UAH (If took it on-road for English speaking people :( )
4) ~1000 $ for 14 days Holidays in Croatia / Turky / Serbia
   ~1500 $ for 14 days Holidays in western Eu.

This is just a brief info if you need any more details do let me know. Over all Ukrainian people are very friendly and helpful in nature, only thing is that we should know to whole whom we should be close and with whom not.

I m here since last 3 years also working in US company Oracle, living right in the city center. What ever I have herd about Ukraine was all -ve, but when only I came here I got to know how good it is in real.

[Moderated]