Cost of living in Ukraine

Hello you all,  happy new year, I am planning on spend two months in ukraine as a fellowship in a hospital, I don't know yet in which city should I stay, my question is the cost of living in ukraine (an average city), I have found some posts in this forum, but they are old, could someone please post about food, accomodations, transport, communications...

Thank you all!

Hi dr.davidleon,

In order to give more light to your questions, i created a new discussion with your post on the Ukraine forum. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Hello dr.DavidLeon.

I'm sorry for my late answer.
I'll tell you my experience in two cities.
1st. Kiev which I live and work.nice city and people.
metro cost two Grven.
buses, trolley bus and trams cost 1,50 grven
It's good and cheap transportation in Kiev and all Ukraine cities.
accommodation is expensive in Kiev, start from 400$ pre month, May be little Pit cheaper if you'll stay in room with Family or grandma.
I can provide you with some information about rent if you'll choose the city.
food in Kiev restaurant is normal .
I guess starts from 150 Grven can make you live a day normal.
PS: 1$ = 8,18 Grven
Internet here is fast and cheap almost 120 Grven in month I pay.
but I don't know about hospitals and you filed :( there is many medical institutions and hospitals but I haven't been there for any reason (thanks Lord)

The other city is Lviv.
its in the.west of.Ukraine at the borders with Poland, very nice city like European cities.

Food was cheaper there accommodations too.
was cheaper than Kiev.
I went there only two weeks and it was nice.

that's all what I remember, and I'm glad to.answer any question.

Have good day

There is another city called Kharkov.
I have friends at work they tell it much more cheaper than Kiev specially accommodation.

You're wellcome. I live in Cherkassy that is 200 km from Kyiv and I can tell you the cost of living in an average Ukrainian city with the population of about 280.000 people. The rent for the flat consisting of a room, a kitchen, a bathroom is 1200-1500 gryvnas. Food is about 1000 gryvnas if you cook yourself. For example pizza costs 40 gryvnas, coffee is approximately 10 gryvnas. Transport is cheap maximum 250-300 gryvnas. 1 euro costs 11,5 gryvnas, 1 US dollar costs 8, 3 gryvnas. Kyiv is much more expensive with housing.

Hi all,

Please note that some off topic posts have been moved from the thread.
I would advise members to stick to the subject please.

Thanks
Armand
Expat.com Team

Hello Armand,
I am an American. I have lived in most major cities in Ukraine over the past 5-6 years. I am currently in Chernovsti.
Cost of living will vary depending on city and your level of comfort. Kiev is probably the most expensive and most cosmopolitan of cities, although Odessa is almost equal. Odessa is probably my favorite large city. If you want to live as an average Ukraine citizen in the city, you could live on $600-800 USD per month. If you want to live as a foreigner with better accomodations and eating in restaurants, maybe double that. Transportatioin overall is almost free if you use bus system.
In the past few years, I have seen an increase in cost of living. Food and clothing costs are close or above US prices. Apartments vary from $300 to 2000 per month furnished, depending on time of year and length of rental. Booze is cheap with some excellant vodka and wines for $3-4 USD per half liter.
All of the above is no great revelation. I will give you the single most important piece of advice I can think of. Learn as much Russian language as you can!!! The people are great in Ukraine but if you can't communicate, you are handicapped and will have problems. You can;'t count on interpreters or translators and they are overly expensive. Many people speak some english but many don't. If you have to deal with older people especially in government, most will speak no english.
Good luck and enjoy. It is a great country with great people.

Hello akguide,

Thank you for your nice posting and for all the information you shared with us here.  :top:

Note : Armand is a member of the Expat.com team.

Have a nice day,

Priscilla
Expat.com team