Male Spouse Visa

Hello all,

My wife is mauritian and I'm trying to get my spouse visa sorted out. I'm currently on a tourist visa. When I look through the application requirements, every box of the requirements is ticked but the income they ask for in the documents is well... vague.

Documentary evidence of latest financial means for the upkeep of oneself and that of his family (a recent personal or joint bank statement from a bank in Mauritius or payslip from Mauritius for the last three months).

So how much is considered enough? I'm guessing they want to see money in a mauritian bank account for say 3 months of living expenses for myself, wife and 3 children? If so, does any one have any idea on how much would be considered enough?

All of my income comes from Australia and goes into australian bank accounts. A long time ago, I used to transfer that to a mauritian bank account but no matter how you do it you lose about 4% in real terms to fees/exchange rates every time. I now just use a wise/revolut card and it costs me 0.5% but from the last time I tried to get this visa they didn't seem interested in documentation of anything other than a mauritian bank account...

Any advice on what the safest amount to transfer to ensure the visa is fine would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

@Kangadodo

Check the rate if you use the Visa Direct method of sending money to a Visa Debit Card (16 numbers as the identifier) which is associated to a Mauritian bank account. Because a debit card cannot store credit the amount sent is immediately deposited into the underlying bank account.

It was an attractive option. I used a Bank to Card method (using online banking) which felt secure. Being that MUR is a notoriously difficult currency to operate in, it was a breeze and a tiny charge (under $2).

From their website:

Fast Transfers is a service that helps pay for services, loans and transfer money easily and quickly to Visa cardholders wherever they are. To transfer money, it is enough to know the recipient's 16-digit Visa card number. You can send money through an ATM, using a mobile phone, over the Internet or through a terminal.

@Kangadodo:

Are you asking about the residence permit application as a Male spouse of Mauritian Citizen?

it's around 15000MUR minimum in a Mauritian bank account. It's better that you have around 45k balance in the Mauritius bank.

@Tutor For All

Yes that's the permit I need. Thank you for the info - I was expecting it to be much higher so this is great news! I saw somehwere that it appeared lower for a woman than a man. Can you confirm if this amount is ok for a male spouse? Hard to find information here - The first time I tried to get an mcb account as a foreigner they told me I would need to wire USD$50,000 in order to get a bank account! The next person said i needed $0 and did the application that day!

@Mahjong

Thank you - great information. I will try this soon

@Kangadodo

Female spouse do not need any financial documentary evidence.

Yes that's correct, you don't need any money to open a bank account if you have the marriage certificate. Some bank can refuse to open it without a resident permit.