Registration/BSN/Verification against EU law

Hello,

I am French, moving to the Netherlands with my husband that is South African. He currently has a French spouse visa.

In order to receive a BSN and be able to start working, I need to apply for verification against EU law. My husband needs to start working as soon as possible and we are super stressed…

My questions are the following :

• What is the difference between registering at gemeente and going to the BSN appointment?
  • Do I absolutely need a BSN to apply for my husband or do I just need to register at the city where I'll be living?
  • We have a rental contract starting in the 1st of march, will I be able to get anything done before that?

Thank you !

First of all you are going to the bsn meeting since you need a BSN number which is tranlated your citizen service number and you going to pay your tax with this number.

2nd you are not allowed to work without this number and if you do you have the risk to get a large fine and criminal charge because you undermining to pay your tax.

if you would apply for the BSN number you are still able to work under certain conditions and for a rental contract is not a BSN number required only a valued ID.

Hope this is helping you a little more and do not be so stressed because things only get worse from there.

Some additional information.

You will receive a BSN Number when you register at the municipality (or 'gemeente' in Dutch) . Everyone who moves to the Netherlands and plans to stay longer than four months is required to register themselves at the municipality within the first 5 days after arrival.

@juliafumey

It is NOT the EU law but Dutch law you have to apply to my dear.

Do not let yourself fool by the factt what websites write there it is misleading for sure.

Good luck

Hello,
I am French, moving to the Netherlands with my husband that is South African. He currently has a French spouse visa.

In order to receive a BSN and be able to start working, I need to apply for verification against EU law. My husband needs to start working as soon as possible and we are super stressed…

My questions are the following :
What is the difference between registering at gemeente and going to the BSN appointment?
Do I absolutely need a BSN to apply for my husband or do I just need to register at the city where I'll be living?
We have a rental contract starting in the 1st of march, will I be able to get anything done before that?

Thank you !

-@juliafumey

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

To answer your questions:

• There is no difference; your BSN (and DigiD) will be issued to you once you have completed registration at the Gemeente.  You are required to make the appointment to Register within 5 days of arriving in the Netherlands; there is more information on the Dutch Government website; this link will take you straight to it.
  • Your husband needs to register just as you do; everybody has to register.
  • Your rental contract is one of the pieces of paper you need to bring with you to show the Gemeente.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team