Retirement Visa Application (50+) for my Wife (dependent?)

I have completed the application form on the ECB portal for myself, but not submitted it. However, there is no option to enter my wife's details.

My questions are:

(a) Should my wife make her own application on the portal? OR

(b) Do I wait for my Visa approval and then somehow append my wife to it? OR

(c) Does she get appended to the application at the interview stage?

I would just like to know how this works for a 'dependent'.

Thanks.

Hi Karibi, the info and checklist for dependents is in the EDB guide doc 6.8, page 19. The dependent application is made to Passport and Immigration office once you have your permit. The fee is 400 US$

Thank you, I missed the bit about the Passport office.

Chris

The entire process from the initial application took exactly 3 months. 2 weeks for Approval in principle and 2 weeks from our arrival in Mauritius for medical and EDB appointment.

It was quicker here because I managed to open an account with Absa from SA so there was no delay. All of this amidst 2 cyclones with government office closures!

I booked a 4 week stay so was a bit nervous that we would run out of time, but the EDB is incredibly efficient and helpful.

@karibi

Hi Chris, I also missed it initially. I got my info from this forum as well. 1f60a.svg

Thanks Ross.

I have already got the medical certificate as I did it when I was last in Mauritius. So according to the website assuming all the documentation is in order then they claim I can get the visa the same day. Is that realistic? I was hoping to only stay for a week.

I have already started opening a bank account with AfriAsia bank.

In South Africa where I am presently the 'equivalent' of the EDB is Home Affairs. They must be one of the most inefficient organisations in the world. It took me 5 years to get a response on my permit applications and that was only after taking the minister to the High Court. The EDB can only be an improvement.

There is absolutely no comparison between EDB and SA home affairs. They couldn't be more different!

Once you have the EDB appointment and they are happy with original docs, you get the permit the same day. The only thing is you can only get the card from the passport office in Port Louis after 10 days. So I think a week is a bit tight. But if you pay the 1000 US$ fee from SA once you have approval in principle and you have everything else to upload, you could wait for the appointment before you leave SA.

Dawn

Sorry Dawn, to show my ignorance but what is the 'card'. I had assumed you just got a stamp in your passport.  Is it some sort of ID card? Do you know if I have to collect the card in person or can I authorise somebody else to do it for me?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

I'm not sure. I was not aware of the card till yesterday - I also assume it's some sort of ID card. The permit is printed on paper. No stamp in passport. I don't know about collection rules, I just hope ours is available before we leave.

Dawn

Thanks Dawn. Please educate me when you collect your card. I have just submitted my application today so hopefully, I will get some form of response in about two weeks.

Thank you for all the help with this.

My next challenge is swapping out my UK driving license for a Mauritius one.

Chris

@Mahjong I applied for a Wealth International Account on the Absa Mauritius website. I was sent a list of documents required that included proof of address (in SA), proof of funds, passport, etc. Some of these had to be certified and couriered to Mauritius. The min starting deposit is 10000 US$ and there is a monthly fee. Having the account was really useful in expediting the final process. I am exploring the fixed deposit option to at least earn some interest.

I wouldn't worry about the ID card, I was told you do not need it travel only the paper document - Like SA the ID book is irrelevant you need your Permanent Resident Document to travel.  The "card" is only a laminated bit of cardboard and very few places accept it.  They would rather have a photo of your passport on you phone.  Don't stress about the card and collect it next time you are in Mauritius.  The actual paper permit is available the next day after your interview.

This piece of laminated cardboard  has your Mauritius id number on it. This does not appear on the permit. You need this number if you want to live in Mauritius.

@longbb8 we'll all shut up as you know more than anyone else.

I think what yo mean by the 'card' is your documentation of your Mauritian ID, or the Non-citizen ID. This is a laminated card (size of credit card) which you could carry around in your wallet and helps when you need to purchase certain items and sim cards for example. It is not a travel document. Mauritian citizens get a better ID card when they turn 18.

@GuestPoster578

Thank you for the information. We'll be collecting the card next week before heading back to SA. Sounds like a useful card to have. I'm a bit surprised that it takes 10 days to prepare a laminated cardboard card...