Dependent eligibility to work in Mauritius

I am in the process of applying for a retirement visa. My 10 year old son will accompany me, and will complete his schooling in Mauritius. Will he be allowed to follow a career in Mauritius once he has completed his studies?

Check this with the relevant authorities in Mauritius as I'm not totally sure it is the same situation for children, but it is my understanding that once you have been resident in Mauritius for 7 years (or 5 years if from a Commonwealth country), and provided you have been in the country more than the minimum stipulated time for each of those years, you can apply to become a Mauritian National/dual citizen along with country of origin, and follow a career as any other Mauritian would. It's probably possible to follow a career without doing this too, but I don't know the details of that.

@W1lliam123

Hello there,

Once your son attains the age of majority, if he wants to work in Mauritius, he needs his own permit. Investor, Self-employed or Occupation Permit (professional) depending on the professional status/activity.

Feel free to contact the EDB for official info : https://edbmauritius.org/

Regards

Bhavna

I just noticed you are from South Africa, therefore a Commonwealth Country. I think this may be relevant for you:

REGISTRATION OF COMMONWEALTH CITIZENS

Under section 5 of the Mauritius Citizenship Act a Commonwealth citizen may be registered as a citizen of Mauritius, if he has resided in Mauritius for a continuous period of 5 years or such shorter period (not being less than 12 months ) as the Minister may in the special circumstances of any particular case accept, immediately preceding the date of his application.

Application for registration under section 5 of the Mauritius Citizenship Act, shall be submitted to the Secretary for Home Affairs in the form set out below. The application shall be subscribed in Mauritius, in the presence of a Judge or the Master and Registrar of the Supreme Court or a District Magistrate.

This is from the Mauritius Govt website here https://dha.govmu.org/Pages/Services/Citizenship.aspx

@andrew9799

Hello, this is rarely given (one can try of course). The person needs to prove that he has contributed meaningfully to the Mauritian economy. The Prime Minister might approve only if he is satisfied that it is of public interest.