Free prescriptions?

Hi all

I apologise if this has already been asked but I can't seem to find the answer. We are looking to relocate to Malta next year, however my husbands mother and my mother intend to follow within 3-6 months. I am trying to find out whether they would be entitled to free prescriptions, this area seems to be a minefield.

They are both in their mid to late 50's and both have chronic conditions (asthma and angina among some others) would they be entitled to free prescriptions and if so would they need a letter from their GP documenting such chronic conditions before they move?

Thanks

Hi Summer,

I actually don't think this question has been asked in this way yet ! It's an interesting topic and full of mine holes , as you say.

I think George is probably better in answering this question concerning British citizens as there are some special agreements with the UK. It will depend on their status (pensioners?) and entitlement to free health care for your mother and mother-in-law.

Residency in Malta does not come with free health care for non-Maltese unless you are entitled to through paying contributions while working, transferring an existing UK entitlement to Malta and so on although there are loopholes for British citezens.

If they are entitled then they will get the same level of health care as Maltese citizens. A letter from their GP in England won't do any harm but might not help!

Cheers and waiting to see what George can comment.
Ricky

Thanks for the response.

If it is any help both mothers will be working as my mum still has 3.5 years before she retires and my husbands mother has 7 years to go. Both are hoping for part time work, don't know if that makes a difference or not.

As long as they work and pay contributions there won't be a problem. They can probably even register  with the ETC as looking for a job but would have to take what is offered. And I think if they have been paying contributions in the UK they have an entitlement for a certain period here in Malta.

One problem might be that not all UK asthma drugs are available and on stock in Malta !THey might have to change their therapy but that would be decided by the health centre wherever you reside.

You can check those things out on the NHS site in the UK.

Cheers
Ricky

I'll PM you a link to the following - see 6.1

covers

1. An EU citizens legal rights - residency, working, students
2. what sort of residency is available ?
3. what do I need to apply for if I want to reside in Malta ?
4. do I need to apply for residency before coming to live in Malta ?
5. do I need an accountant to apply for residency ?
6. do I need health insurance ?
6.1 Do I qualify for public health cover, and if I do, what cover do I have ? Are prescriptions free ?
7. can I work in Malta ?
7.1 How much is income tax ?
7.2 How much are social security contributions ?
8. where do I apply for my residency permit ?
9. where can I get the OR application form ?
10. where do I apply for my ID card ?
11. what documents do I need to apply for OR ?
12. can I vote in Malta ?
13. buying a property FAQ
14. renting a property FAQ
15. Importing a vehicle FAQ
16. What's the procedure for importing/exporting a pet ?
17. Can I use my driving licence in Malta ?
18. Long term residency permit

Thanks for the link but for some reason I can't seem to see the list of conditions covered, maybe my browse isn't working properly.

Can I just confirm that pensioners receive free prescriptions?

"Can I just confirm that pensioners receive free prescriptions?" - no they don't, or atleast not because they are pensioners - free medicine is either

1. means tested - v difficult for a foreigner to get
2. chronic/life threatening disease

Thanks, so is there a standard prescription charge in Malta or does it depend on the medicine you need. I am hoping that some of the conditions are covered, but for those that aren't, I need to find out approximately how much they would need to factor in to their monthly outgoings.

Am going to try and see if that link works now.

Okay this is what I get from following the link, I have tried clicking on several bits but I still can't find where the conditions covered by the yellow card are, am I missing something?

Home
Divisions 
Health Care Services
Public Health Regulation
Resources & Support
Strategy & Sustainability

Departments 
Elderly Care
E.U. Healthcare Entitlement Unit
Environmental Health
Government Health Procurement Services
Health Care Services Standards
Health Information & Research
Health Promotion & Disease Prevention
Nursing Services Standards
Pharmaceutical Policy and Monitoring
Policy Development and EU Affairs
Primary Health Care
Programme Implementation Monitoring 
Other Units

Regulatory Councils 
Library 
Circulars

Healthcare Entities 
Hospitals General Information
Health Centres
Government Dispensaries
Mater Dei Hospital Purchasing Dept.
Non Governmental Organisations

E-Health Services 
European Health Insurance Card
Pharmacy Roster
Public Health Complaint
Sexual & Reproductive Health
GU Clinic Testing

Links 
Hosted Sites

The list of conditions covered appears in Schedule V of the Social Security Act.  If you click on the first link in the main text on this page - https://ehealth.gov.mt/HealthPortal/str … ule_v.aspx - you will get a pdf of the Social Security Act.  The list of conditions is on pp 122-123 of that pdf.

The list does not cover every chronic condition.  For example, I understand medications to treat Alzheimer's Disease are not included.

There isn't a standard prescription charge.  If you are entitled to free medications, you will indeed get them free.  If you're not, you have to pay for them privately at a pharmacy at the going rate for the medication concerned.  There are frequent complaints that the prices charged for medications in Malta are seen as high.  Some people use online pharmacies outside Malta, though there are debates about the merits of doing that.

Thanks for that I have found it now.

So it seems that chronic asthma is covered, but it doesn't seem that angina isn't covered. Several cardiovascular conditions are but this isn't one of them. My mother does have to take a few medications per day for this condition, less since she had her triple bypass. Strange really as I thought this condition would be there. I might have to look at online pharmacies then as I have heard that certain medications can be very expensive in Malta.

As a guide, the last two prescriptions I paid for:

Tablet form antibiotic 20 euros (antibiotic over the counter in Spain 2.50 - 6 euros)

Ear drops 6.66 euros

It is entirely dependant on the meds.

Soluble ibuprofen - 10 euro per box, in Spain I paid 3.25 for the same stuff.  I have it brought or stock up on visits now, including for my fellow migraine suffering Maltese friend.

xx

Hi Summer,

Ischaemic heart disease generally includes what is referred to as 'angina' .

So your mother and in-law might qualify for free medicine but be prepared for a long hassle to get there. So bring stocks of whatever prescription drugs they are taking ie for 3 or more months.

I assume they both have a recent history of NI contributions in the UK ( something like the last three years) so that they can shift their entitlement to Malta (for up to 2 1/2 years) otherwise it will be difficult.

And please be aware that they might not be eligble for free health in the UK anymore once they register in Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky

Yes they both have NI entitlements here. I am a bit confused about your mention of switching and being entitled to 2.5 years. I haven't read that far yet,  what do you mean?

As ever thanks for helping me out.

Hi Summer,

from my understanding of the UK (and of any other health care system in the EU) your entitlement to (free) health care is based on paying into the system of your home country.

Once you leave your country and move elsewhere you are not paying contributions in your home country anymore and so do not qualify for (free) health care anymore.

In the case of the UK they do offer you the entitlement in your new country of residence and pay for the cost of treatment if it is in the EU for up to 2 1/2 years if you do not qualify for health care through the health system of the new country ie if you do not pay contributions in your new country of residence.

As a UK  pensioner that entitlement will step back in again.

'Being entitled' means they have both been paying contributions to NI in the UK? I know that free health care in the UK is based on residency and not necessarily paying contributions. So it might mean having a record of paying contributions for at least a certain period of time. You will need to check that out.

For example you would not be covered at all if you were to move to the US.

Sounds complicated and it can be too-)))

Cheers
Ricky

Ugh my head is spinning with all that. Let's see if I understand you...

Right, both my mum and his mum have paid NI contributions and both are in the process of contacting the Pensions Dept to find out exactly how much they have paid to date. This will come in letter form, so I assume this will show a record of paying contributions. So as this is the case and from what you are saying they should be entitled for the next 2.5 years to care in Malta, regardless on whether or not they have employment? For the record both mothers intend to work in Malta, albeit part time. I assume though that they need to be working a certain number of hours to be paying Maltese NI contributions?

We intend to apply for OR either once the 90 days are up or when we have a job, whichever comes sooner. The plan was to get private/travel health insurance until then and once the OR took over then we no longer needed our own health insurance, please correct me if I am wrong? As I said I haven't delved into the ins and outs of this part yet but I was hoping I was on the right track.

If both mothers work in Malta and do earn enough to make NI contributions to the Maltese government, I take it they will never be able to pay enough to get a Maltese pension as they are both in their mid to late 50's, so I am assuming that they will have to continue to make UK NI contributions from Malta to entitle them to the full UK pension if they haven't made enough contributions to date?

Okay, I think my head exploded... :lol:

Hi Summer,

yes, sounds just about right-)))

Once your mothers work in Malta they will be entitled to free health care in Malta through paying contributions. Then the entitlement through the UK will cease but also at the latest after 2 1/2 years if they do not find work.

Applying and getting residency in Malta does not give you free health care like in the UK. It is based solely on contributions or alternate entitlement like from the UK.

Once you declare your residency in Malta for example by getting an ID card then travel insurance will not cover you anymore. So you should get health things sorted out fast as your mothers don't sound like having best health!

Private health insurance in Malta will not cover any pre-existing conditions and are probably not the best option for this reason.

Pension contributions are not very high and would not be paid long enough to get a state pension here in Malta.

Hope you didn't explode -))) but this area is one of the more complicated ones!

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you

So can I confirm that if the mothers work part time they will be entitled to free healthcare, up until that point the uk will cover them.  Both of them intend to get a job within a couple of months. Both mothers health is actually ok,  it's just they are both on medications here. That might change however when they move to Malta!

Do you have a link to an online pharmacy that is reputable?

Thanks again :)

Hi Summer,

it doesn't matter if they are part-time or full- time employed. It goes by your status and income. If you are employed and earn up to 152 €/week you pay 6,62 €/week and your employer pays the same per week.

If you are self-employed and earn at least 1005 € and up to 7683/year you pay 22,16 € . For other income ranges other figures apply.

The contributions are handled through the Inland Revenue Department.

If they don't find work they would have to use the UK option of entitlement for up to 2 1/2 years.

As has been said before getting free medication here will be a long hassle and might not include their present medications. It would depend what the Maltese system and doc would permit. And then it would have to be available too so stock up if the drugs are important and/or life-saving.

There have been posts about online pharmacies. You should find links there. I have no experience with that topic.

Cheers
Ricky

SummerRaine wrote:

Do you have a link to an online pharmacy that is reputable?

We used an online Pharmacy to obtain an Asthma drug (the generic version of Singulair) for our son:

pharmstore.com

I can vouch that the company is reputable based on the dealings we had with them. They DO require a valid prescription sent to them and confirmation from your Dr., as they are a legitimate operation and not some dodgy business as far as I can tell - they are a "Certified Canadian International Pharmacy" and verified by pharmacychecker.com.
However, as was pointed out in another thread on this forum, you should do your own research about the potential risks in using drugs obtained from such a source.

1st order in early 2010: We ordered a 3 month supply of the generic version of Singulair, which our son takes for Asthma - it came to $66 which was less than the cost of 1 month's supply of Singular, about €50 if I recall correctly. They were very helpful and answered emails efficiently, they even held the order at our request for a few days while we did some research into Customs, and then when they did ship it was from Frankfurt and so was super quick....literally the next day.

2nd order in early 2011: A repeat prescription of the first. However, this time there was quite a delay as the medication this time came from New Zealand! The price was the same and there were no Customs problems despite it coming from outside the EU, but I suppose there might have been - may have been below some costs threshold or because of the way they described it on the Customs invoice...not sure, I just know there was no Customs hold-up or payments, though it did take a couple of weeks to arrive from NZ.

Tim

Hi Tim,

nice to see you back on the forum and thanks for replying to the post.

How are things in the UK ? I guess the weather might not be as nice as here.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi Tim,

nice to see you back on the forum and thanks for replying to the post.

How are things in the UK ? I guess the weather might not be as nice as here.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

That all depends on your definition of "nice". tbh we're loving the coolness. Don't want to go off topic though, so I'll send you an email later.

tim

i stayed in malta for 18 weeks i run out of may medication i had to pay full price total £250.75.can i clam back.

joe apap wrote:

i stayed in malta for 18 weeks i run out of may medication i had to pay full price total £250.75.can i clam back.

Did you have health or travel insurance?  Were you here as a tourist?  Are you an EU citizen?

Hi Joe,

if you were travelling with the EHIC card you are entitled to the same treatment as Maltese citizens. And generally speaking , they pay !

If you took out travel insurance they might pay , depends on the conditions. But 18 weeks probably oversteps the coverage as after 12 weeks you don't count as a tourist ! You should have applied for residency .

Who do you want to claim back from ?

Cheers
Ricky

Finding this thread has raised some serious concerns for me. Both Lynnder and I have to take some medication for pre existing chronic conditions.
We are arranging for our medical records to be copied to bring with us.
We have both contributed to NI in UK for about 40 years each.
I will be 60 when I arrive, Lynnder will be 57.
We are informed that an 'S' Leaflet will only be valid for any one period Jan - Jan so we will have 5 months to run on ours when we arrive.
We intend to apply for OR on the basis of self maintenance asap after we arrive.
We have looked at private medical insurance and the quotes we have had are in the order of €6K each per annum!!!!!
Can anyone tell us exactly what our position will be regarding any entitlement (or not) of the medication we must have?
Sorry but I am really concerned and I can't quite grasp what has been previously written, I need a numpty guide.:/

Do you mean an S1?

Would a Maltese person get free medication for your conditions?

S1

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcare … broad.aspx

If you move to an EEA country to live but not work and don't receive a UK benefit, you may be eligible for up to two-and-a-half years of state healthcare, paid for by the UK.

You will need to apply for form S1 (or form E106 if you are moving to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland) with the Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle). You also need to prove that you have worked in the UK and paid National Insurance contributions up to three years before your departure.

For further advice, contact the Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle):

Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle)
Room TC001
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1BA

Phone 0191 218 1999 (Monday to Friday 8am-5pm).

The S1 (or E106) will entitle you to treatment on the same basis as a resident of the country you are moving to. This may mean that you have to make a patient contribution toward the cost of your care.

When the cover on the S1 (or E106) expires, you cannot get any further medical cover from the UK until you receive a UK state pension. It is up to the country's authorities to decided whether you are eligible to join their healthcare scheme.

You will also be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC, allowing you to visit other EEA countries besides the one you are a resident with.

Thanks George but I have seen that and been told the S1 runs Jan - Jan only in any one 12 month period.
In UK I am entitled to free prescriptions at age 60, yet the 'retirement' age in UK, i.e. when one qualifies for a State Pension, as one can retire at any time as we have done, varies with age and date of birth.
So, I'm looking for what actually happens in Malta.

OK, just seen another thread on the same subject which shows how complicated this is to some of us. Me especially being a numpty on this subject.

redmik wrote:

I have seen that and been told the S1 runs Jan - Jan only in any one 12 month period.

the form may only be usable for that, but once submitted its valid for up to 2 1/2 years

you should also look at whether you would get the medication provided using the RHA

however, your first step is to find out if a Maltese person would get it free - if the answer is no, then you won't

Sorry.............RHA?

reciprocal health agreement UK/Malta
https://ehealth.gov.mt/HealthPortal/chi … ltauk.aspx

Are your conditions on the approved list for free medication in Malta ?

Thanks, I haven't had breakfast yet a bit slow.
This subject I think is one for me to research when out there soon.
If only I could find health cover at a reasonable cost.
I'll drop this for now and discuss over the next few weeks with the authorities out there.

Pensioners as such don't receive free prescriptions.

You can either qualify for a Pink card if you have limited 'means' or for the Yellow card if you have one of the listed chronic conditions. This is independent of age or income. There are 79 listed conditions in Schedule V covering most of the common chronic diseases.

You will have to check if you qualify and if your disorder is listed and then you might not receive exactly the same medicine as in the UK.

Cheers
Ricky

free prescriptions - the Government supplies medicines free of charge to in-patients in Government hospitals, and for three days after discharge - you can also apply for a pink or yellow card giving you free prescriptions. Your application will be considered under the same terms as a Maltese citizen, and is NOT automatic
Pink card - means tested
Yellow card - your Doctor must complete a Form stating that the medicines you take are for treatment of a condition from the official list

Don't know why this worries me so much but I think I've cracked it as if I am correct:

Use S1 upon applying for Residence.
From then we get 2 1/2 years cover under RHA
Then get private health care and I've just had an internet chat with a company in Malta and been given affordable quote.
Only problem is that that particular company only offers to initiate plans for under 60yrs of age so we need to get out and about, visit companies face to face and discuss with them.
I'll try to drop this for now and thank everyone for their patience with me on this issue.