Following-up doctor appointments and vacation leave

Hello everyone!

I am not familiar with Maltese Employment Law and worker rights, I would be very grateful if you could enlighten me with regard to the following:
3 months ago, my partner was diagnosed an illness which requires following-up doctor visits at Mater Dei twice per month in the first months of treatment and then one monthly visit. I am just wondering if each of these laboral absences to visit his doctor suppose to be considered as a vacation leave and consequently deducted from his annual holidays or as a sick leave presenting a medical certificate.

Many thanks in advance.
Cheers

It might be worth contacting his employer and finding out how much sickness entitlement he has.  The girls I work with use their two weeks sickness leave allocation for hospital appointments, when the kids are sick and such like but I would expect each employer may be different.

Many thanks for your reply Chardor.
I agree that contacting his employer seems to be the way to go. Really appreciate the extra info that you provide about how others deal with similar situations. Thanks for sharing.

You are more than welcome, happy to share a positive way forward! 

Keep us I formed of how you get on .. X