Healthcare Bill?

Hi,

My wife went to the emergency department at Mater Dei 2 weeks ago. We are both working and of course paying social security contributions and have 5 years residency/ID cards.

The questions is, why a bill has been sent to her?

Regards,

were you asked to prove that you pay tax and SSC  - they usually do  - thats all you need to do prove that to them and they will cancel your bill  if my memory serves me right

chrisc58 wrote:

Hi,
My wife went to the emergency department at Mater Dei 2 weeks ago. We are both working and of course paying social security contributions and have 5 years residency/ID cards.
The questions is, why a bill has been sent to her?
Regards,

Sorry but I don't know how anyone here could answer that. Why not phone or visit and ask them?
I suspect that sometimes many just assume anyone not Maltese is a visitor.
It would be interesting to know the explanation and outcome though for future reference.

Redmik  - anyone who has been through it can answer it. But saying that there may be other criteria not made clear here as to why  - but bottom line first port of call should be the hospital

Toon, I was thinking ( I know that can be weird at times) that people can answer why they went through their case but not why it happened in this particular case; only the authorities can answer that. So, yes, contact those responsible.

its dangerous this thinking business.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

its dangerous this thinking business.

:lol: Not wrong, especially for me.

Hi toon,

your memory does serve you right -)))

Both NI number and ID /e-residency card do not prove that you are up-to-date with the actual NI payments. Many are not !

Take your payslip which shows the deduction of NI to Mater Dei and the bill will be cancelled.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi toon,

your memory does serve you right -)))

Both NI number and ID /e-residency card do not prove that you are up-to-date with the actual NI payments. Many are not !

Take your payslip which shows the deduction of NI to Mater Dei and the bill will be cancelled.

Cheers
Ricky

exactly but many people who now live in Malta (and spookily the same is happening in Cyprus too lol) permanently are still using their ehics for treatment... hence the required checks on entitlement

Unless you are a permanent resident ;)

coxf0001 wrote:

Unless you are a permanent resident ;)

Show off  :D

Hi,

An update for the benefit of all.

My wife was gonna do this eventually. She called the hospital and explained and they said she would not have to pay. Seems like an automatic thing they do when someone foreign comes to the hospital. They advised to send payslip and bill to them via email and the bill will be cancelled. "Do not have to pay it." was the confirmation over the phone.

Also, we found out that someone we know who has been here for 10 years said they paid their hospital bill. The're not aware of our situation and what we have done nor do we intend to tell them. So it goes to show, don't ask you don't get!

Seems like they try it on or it is just an automatic thing but in basic terms if you are living and working here you do not need to pay as long as you are paying tax and NI. Of course, always investigate as your situation may be different.

Regards,

why not tell them after all if we didnt tell you - you would nt have known would you?

toonarmy9752 wrote:

why not tell them after all if we didnt tell you - you would nt have known would you?

Quite right, it's what we're here for.
A bit hard if you don't.
I can understand they may become a bit upset having paid their bill but they may also be able to claim it back. (Perhaps, possibly, conceivably, perchance.)