Dental care for children

Hi,

We are moving to Malta in 3 weeks, with our 3 children, the company we work for is relocating us from Spain where we have been based for over 10 years, I have a question regarding dental care for kids that I hope someone can help with.
How do I go about seeing a dentist for my kids in Malta, the reason I ask is that I took my 15year old to my dentist yesterday and he informed me that my son needs some milk teeth extracting and will also need braces, the teeth need to come out soonish to allow his other teeth to come through, but the dentist here wouldn't do this as he said it really needs to be done by one dentist and ongoing treatment will be needed so I should get this all done in Malta.
I'm aware that there is public dentistry available for school age kids in Malta and wondered how we go about getting this, I would just go private but I'm pretty sure this is going to cost a small fortune, and I have 2 younger ones that will also likely need braces in the coming years!!!
If anyone can give me any advice it would be much appreciated.

Hi,
Yes, all school age children are entitled to free dental care and orthodontics at the hospital. (As your husband will be paying NI contributions.) Your main problem will be the waiting time. There is currently an 18 month waiting list for a check up! Once in the system though, the waiting time is not so long.

It may be possible to shorten that time with your 15 year old, by going to a private dentist and getting a referral straight to the ortho department at the hospital but I am not 100% sure if that reduces the time.

Privately,  an initial orthodontic appointment will be in the region of 70 euro plus. Don't forget, that orthodontic treatment is done over a couple of years and payment is spread every 6-8 weeks, (around 30 ish a visit, after initial fees for the actual braces and extractions,) not all in one go.

There is also the teaching clinic, (at the hospital) where dentists are doing thier masters in orthodontics, again, I am not sure if you can get a referral straight there or via the hospital, maybe you could phone them directly.

Also, in the meantime (while waiting for check ups at the hospital,) you could go privately. A child's check up, no treatment will be about 10 euro. This will not effect your appointment at the hospital.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks , thinks will try find a private one for my son, my  daughter will also need braces but she is not urgent both me and my husband are working here and will paying NI so will have try get her an appointment ......just as soon as I get school finalized , my tax number, residence and the other million things I currently need to sort out!!

Just go to the Camilleri dental practice in Regent House, Bisazza Street, Sliema.
Excellent children's dentist there. Orthodontal care as well. No waiting time, just pay as you go private practice. Not too expensive either.