Will I have to repay tax credits?

Hello,

I work a part-time job earning less less than €20,000 annually.  My first two paychecks stated little to no money t taken out for taxes, I think this is because my income does not meet the minimum to be taxed.  However, my partner earns a salary that, when combined with my income, is equal to more than twice that minimum.  When we file our taxes for 2023, will we be expected to repay any of those taxes that have not been taken out of my check?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm not a tax advisor.  My advice in such matters is always to speak to a Dutch tax advisor.

My opinion is that taxes are assessed individually; what your partner earns is a matter for him/her only and should not impinge on your tax liability.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hello Cynic,

Thank you for the welcome and your input, it is helpful and greatly appreciated!

Jordan

@jordanstalsworth

You can also make an appointment with the Belastingdienst (Tax Office) in your city and have a  preliminary tax assessment or a voorlopige aanslag done for you.

https://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/wcm/ … /home/home

Basically, they do your taxes for you in advance (they are not filed of course) and tell you how much money you will have to pay (or get back) when you file your real taxes. Typically, this is used when you own a house because the tax office gives you money back every year based on how much Interest you pay on your mortgage each month.

Most people would rather receive that money EVERY MONTH and in advance so it offsets your monthly mortgage. For example, I used to pay 1850.00 on my mortgage every month, but I received about 485.00 a month back from the tax office each month. So you see it makes a big difference in your monthly income and expenses.

But in any case, you bring all your papers with you to the office, and they will step you through your tax filing so that you will know what you will owe next year.

Once you make an appointment for your voorlopige aanslag they will send you a long email telling you all the papers you must provide.

The best part about it is .. it's free. :)

@Becka A. Thank you so much for this information, I will look into it!

@Becka A. Thanks you so much 💗