Renting a long term place whilst visa request in process

Hello,

currently waiting for the occupation permit as employer submitted all documents - but I understand it takes much longer than it used to (is that right?), and wondering whether I can go for a long term rental. Am now in a short-term apartment but will have to move out and looking to have a bigger and more "permanent" house for me and family.

Would anyone know if I can sign a rental agreement and rent without a resident visa or occupation permit? Thanks

@BretonneMaurice

Hello Bretonne,

As far as I'm aware it is illegal for foreign nationals to rent a property without a current employment or residency permit, according to legislation. It is forbidden to rent property in Mauritius without these papers.

I'd be careful going into any rental agreement based on Mauritian law but you can also double check with a lawyer 🙂

If all else fails, get a Premium Visa in the meantime - it's Free, you apply online, and i'ts  valid for 12 months  (renewable)

https://business.edbmauritius.org/

(currently renting in Beau Vallon / Mahébourg area for 4 months wothout a problem, although I know ”long term” here refers to a 12 month or longer rental term).

@savanvida

thank you very much.

@Ceresiet thank you very much

You're welcome Bretton  🙂