Working remote before transfer

Hello, I work for a remote company in the US and my wife lives in the Netherlands. I applied for the Spousal visa and was granted the right to work.

My company is global and has an entity within the NLs. I am going to transfer to it and be paid in Euros and work in that timezone. This could take some months for HR to setup and I miss my wife. Can I move to the NL and work remotely for a few months before I'm officially transfered to the Dutch branch?

I'm using the residency permit as my right to work (it was included with the visa). I'm scheduled to get my BSN in June. I'm not going to be getting a high skilled visa from my company. And I'm registered at our permanent residence in Holland.

What's the law about this? I don't know how long until I'm signed with the dutch entity, and would prefer to be working remotely in NL with my spouse as I wait, rather than overseas.

Thank you

Just want to add that even though this is a US company, I currently work out of the UK. So I'm still in Europe, just not the EU

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

First of all, I'm not a finance or tax adviser, so anything I say is based on experience and what others have told us on the Forum.

Assuming you have the correct visa that allows you to work in the Netherlands, then assuming that what you do is legal, then there is no real restriction on who you work for.

Your forum link tells me you're a US citizen, so your tax affairs are even more complicated as you still have to file an annual return with the IRS and maybe your home state.  When you eventually get a Dutch work contract/CAO then everything you do in Holland will be linked to your BSN; you'll just have to watch out for any US-based income - there is a Tax Treaty in place between the US and NL, the IRS website has information on this treaty and this link will take you straight to it.

The issue is one of residency and as far as the Dutch are concerned if you move to the Netherlands, then you are deemed as being tax resident from that date, the thing to watch out for is that they will assess you on your worldwide income for that whole tax year and may apply Dutch social taxes to that income if you are resident there for more than 183 days when they assess you.

If you don't have much money to tax, then no big deal, but if you have complicated tax affairs (and yours appears to fall in that description) then it's best to speak to a Dutch tax adviser, your wife or her family may already have one, if not then our Forum has a register of those that have registered with us; this link will take you to it.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Cynic Thank you for the thorough answer. I don't know why it says I'm a US citizen, I'm a UK citizen. The only other country I hold residency in still is Canada. 

I'm going to work for my same company as I work for now. Which is in England where I currently work and live.

What I'm curious about is how long I can work in the Netherlands remotely before I'm officially transfered there with my company. 

I don't know how long it will take for the transfer to happen. Perhaps not before July. But can I legally work remotely from home in the Netherlands in the meantime? 

I will get my BSN in June, but I don't think that matters at the moment, because I won't be using my BSN until Juli when my transfer is done, right?

Thank you @Cynic

Hi again.

So, ignore the US bit.

Nobody is going to know you are working from home unless you tell them. My advice is that you say you have the visa including the right to work, so you're not going to have the KMar knocking on your door, so do whatever it is you do, then just let the Belastingdienst know that you have income from the UK for whatever period once you have your BSN and DigiD, the issue will be it is giving them an in to look at all your worldwide income if your assessment is past the 183 days. The Dutch tax year runs from Jan to Dec; it gets even more complicated when you consider that the UK tax year runs from Apr to Mar. I moved there in December, so they assessed me for social taxes for practically the whole previous year, which was a bit of a surprise; 13,000 guilders later, the guy smiled and told me that nobody likes paying taxes, but they make it easier in Holland; I almost punched him.

Hello everyone,

just to inform you that I have changed the nationality. American must have been selected by error upon registration.

Regards

Bhavna