Non-EU Spouse allowed to work?

Hi

I am an EU citizen (German) living in Germany and me and my non-EU spouse (USA) would like to move to the Netherlands in September. He is the main earner, meaning we can't move unless he has a job offer, which he now has.

I know we have to fill in the application for verification against EU law, but it states it takes up to 6 months to get the result.

We can't live in the Netherlands for 6 months without his income. So how does this work? Can he start work while the application is being processed? As far as I understand, we have to be in the Netherlands to apply for this, or can we apply for this from abroad?

What are our options?

THANKS!

Im interesting

How a apply

Im interesting
-@dammikahemantha

Interested in what?

Hi
I am an EU citizen (German) living in Germany and me and my non-EU spouse (USA) would like to move to the Netherlands in September. He is the main earner, meaning we can't move unless he has a job offer, which he now has.
I know we have to fill in the application for verification against EU law, but it states it takes up to 6 months to get the result.
We can't live in the Netherlands for 6 months without his income. So how does this work? Can he start work while the application is being processed? As far as I understand, we have to be in the Netherlands to apply for this, or can we apply for this from abroad?
What are our options?
THANKS!
-@Wachtel

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

There is perhaps a different way to do this.  You as an EU citizen have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU, that includes the Netherlands.  Perhaps your spouse should speak to his new Employer and ask if they are willing to sponsor him so he can apply for a Residency Permit in his own right,  If they have not already done it before, it may be a bit more work for them, but it will get him there very quickly (days/weeks instead of months) and you can just accompany him.  Details for these residency permits can be found on the IND website and this link will take you straight to them.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Cynic

Thank you for your reply! It seems crazy to go the sponsored route, when he technically has the right to move with me and just needs it confirmed. But maybe that's the way to go.

I will look into this.

@Cynic
Thank you for your reply! It seems crazy to go the sponsored route, when he technically has the right to move with me and just needs it confirmed. But maybe that's the way to go.
I will look into this.
-@Wachtel

Hi again.

You asked for options; the benefit of going the skilled migrant route is that he may be available for the 30% tax break.

Hope it helped.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Wachtel after you apply for verification against eu law you recieve a letter stating non eu citizen can live and work until the application is finalized, so it shouldnt be a problem

@sevimhasanova Thank you! So this letter should arrive within a few weeks of sending the application?