Leave China with Z visa

Hello everyone

I'm in a bit of a messy situation. I came to China 14 days ago with a Z visa. This should be transferred to a work/ residence permit asap.

but unfortunately my future employer suddenly changed some aspects of the contract (such as salary).

i tried to negotiate a better deal with them but with no success.

under these circumstances I won't stay here.

so my question is: can I simply leave within the 30 days after arrival? Or will there be questions about residence permit?

Thanks for your help

@OliWild go to the public security visa office and ask them for advice on your options.

@OliWild

Your visa is valid for 30 days before being converted into a Residence and Work Visa. Before your visa expires, you are free to leave.

The other option is to wait, have it converted into a residence / work permit and THEN find another job?

Did you sign a contract before coming over? This sounds like one of these unscrupulous language schools / training centres.

@OliWild As far as I remember, unless it has been changed by China, the work permit is good for the place that gave it to you. If you wait and it converts to a work permit then you will probably have more trouble with the system because you don't want to work for the people who gave you the work permit. If you want to leave do it ASAP.

@acoop thank you. I asked a friend to go there with me today. they should be able to give me a clear answer I assume.

@Mark Dixey thanks for your reply. What confuses me is that the Z Visa says Duration of stay (000) - it has to be converted into a residence permit within 30 days of entering China.

The 000 days duration are causing my worries.

It‘s not a language centre. It's in the music industry.

i came here for a 1 month freelance gig with the option of turning it into something permanent starting in summer. So I still have a job in Germany waiting for me. That's why I'd rather just go back instead of staying here and trying to find another job later.

@OliWild What was your experience like entering China? Did you give them an antigen test? Where there any other requirements?

@johnmetoo entering China was actually pretty easy. I had to do a PCr test within 48h of my departure. The test result has to be printed out - electronic versions are not acceptable. And I filled in the arrival form in WeChat.

At the airport the airline staff checked my visa, antigen test and reminded about the WeChat form. Masks were mandatory during the whole duration of the flight.

After landing in China all customs WeChat QR codes got scanned and we proceeded to normal immigration (fingerprints etc). The covid test has not been checked again.

Thank you for that I wish you a safe journey home