Legalisation of documents when applying for dutch passport

Hi

I am just gathering my documents for my application for becoming a Dutch national through the Options Route before booking my appointment at the Dutch Embassy, London.

I understand that solicitors in the Uk can't legalise documents but that I need to go through the Foreign, Common Wealth and Development Office for this.  Is this correct?  I also believe that you have to go in person and can't use the cheaper Oppostille services offered online?  Does anyone have experience of going through this process that can comment on this please?

Thanks

Jo

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Apostille is a Government certifying that a document that has been issued in their name is the same as a record that they hold, they apply to things like birth, wedding, death, health certificates, and divorce papers.  It follows that only a Department of the national government can do this.

Legalise is what a solicitor gets involved with and is normally more in the qualification diplomas and business papers area.  This link will take you to a website of such a solicitor firm offering these services; I've never used them, so have no idea if they are good, bad or indifferent, so buyer beware.

There are other things to be aware of if you work in a regulated field (medicine, engineering etc)

You're a UK citizen, so the information you need is on the UK Gov website; this link will take you to their website which has the details you need.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team