SGK application

We lived in Turkey now for a year here and we intend to apply for SGK, any experiences?

Obsiously I do not want to end up in a hospital, but that is applicable for other countries I think.

@cdw057 When I first came to Turkey to retire, I also had no Insurance and did not need it as I am older than 65. I too just applied and got the SGK insurance after being here for a year. I had an experience in the Public hospital before I was an SGK insurance holder which might be helpful to you. Even though I did not have the benefit of SGK at that time, I got a discount on the cost as I had a residency card. And the cost was incredibly low compared to the cost if I went through the same process in the USA. My experience in the hospital was not a pleasant experience as no one there spoke any English. So if you are not fluent in Turkish I suggest you have a Turkish-speaking friend with you.

My stay there in the hospital included being catheterized, one night stay in the hospital, an ultrasound, some prescription meds, and follow-up work. It was a daunting task to get through. The doctors spent the least time with you as possible and their bedside manner was pretty non-exsistanant. I will have to say that the treatment plan and the exams were very professional and my condition improved and did not re-occur. I assume the experience will be pretty much the same even though I have the SGK plan now. The only difference is there should not be any out-of-pocket money. I really can't blame the staff and the doctor's attitudes as they are paid a very low salary for their level of education and all requests to the government to allow them a suitable salary have been rejected. Doesn't look like it will get any better for them any time soon.

You have to be super patient when you are trying to get any kind of procedure done in the public hospital system. I was shuffled around numerous times from one floor to another from one dept to another, and there were many there who have no idea how to perform their duties. It is my understanding that you can get private doctors' help in private hospitals and clinics while holding the SGK insurance and in some instances get re-reimbursed by SGK for some of the procedures. A very confusing system as it is hard to clarification on this subject I guess until you actually go thru it,

So other than the everyday type of sickness or health issue you might have, I think you can use the public hospital and the SGK insurance plan, but I would have to re-think that for any critical health issue I might run into. I am lucky to have a Turkish friend that will be there for me anytime I need her and in times of emergency, I can count on her to always makes the best decisions for me. Hope you have the same.

Not sure if all this is helpful to you. I hope it opened your eyes a little bit so you don't expect the same kind f treatment you received in your home country. That is not to say that in the end, you will have professional help From the top people. There just a little rough around the edges when it comes to their bedside manners.

Dennis

@dncole4156 Thank you very much for your reply, much appreciated. Honestly if I am diagnosed with cancer or Alzheimer (not speaking Turkish at all) I would seriously consider to return to The Netherlands. Happpy now (comfort in Mahmutlar, everything is close (I do not even have a car for the first time in my life), food is good, life is cheap). Just juggling private health insurance or SGK, anyhow like in Hungary for healthcare extras will be appreciated. I hope I will not needing some serious help (just had my cataract operation (might be need a post treatment (apparently easy though)), cholesterol pills (but like paracetemol) very cheap.

I am married with a good wife and if either of us get dementia/Alzheimer one of us will arrange to go back, I do not know what to do in Turkey (nursing care is an option though)

How did you actually apply for SGK (with the assistance of a translator?)

By the way, I appreciate your posts so far in general.