I do not understand why are the xpats not worried about Ikamet

I posted a bit in the topic before, very few reactions, nobody seems to worry (I think this is or not good or all of the expats are millioinaires, for us what we have is in Turkey, it is all, we savings, property all. If we were to be refused it is a serious topic,

People speak about this or that, but what is important are you allowed to live?

Stiill I think Turkey is clever in a way, we can increase our TAPU value (financially good for Turkey), getting rich pensioners ...

In Mahmutlar many, many buildings are made and no way most of the appartment will be sold for USD 200 K

So in conjunction with renting decrees, most of the complexes will loose of value (quite a bit)

Sad for me, but I live still comfortably (in 2 tears time??)

Many concerns and I really do not understand why Ikamet is a non-issue.

https://www.yenialanya.com/haber/172234 … mayacaklar

It is indeed worrying since the low cost of living and high quality of life offered by Turkey comes at a fairly steep price up front.  My understanding is that the new law will not impact current expats as they are grandfathered in.  From Turkeys perspective, it is likely a good move in that it will curtail the migration of people of less financial means.  I worry about whether Turkey will impose more requirements for expats in the future.   However, as I have stated before, I intend to be an expat regardless since life in the U.S. has become less than desirable in the past few years. 

I am sure you already follow, nevertheless, I think the link belows give good info. (even if Alanya is not of interest, also impacted by national rule)

Indeed conceptually we (me and my wife) should not be impacted, BUT ...

https://www.yenialanya.com/

https://www.dailysabah.com/

@cdw057

It's extremely worrying, at least for me.

I went last week to Mersin (not a closed area like Mahmutlar), to apply for Ikamet extension.

They told me I can have an extension for 6 months, if I provide a bank statement that I have 103.000 lira (about $4000), and it has to stay on the account UNTOUCHED for 6 months. So for me and my husband, $8000, not to touch it for 6 months. Even though, the document he (the official in the office) gave us doesn't mention that amount, just 6 months of stable income (to prove we don't earn in Turkey), which we brought with us, our contracts that are completely valid.

There is no way I can do this and I told them this, they said that I will be rejected then and I will not be allowed to sumbit a new application for Ikamet in another 6 months, even after I leave the country and come back.

All of this doesn't make any sense to me, and what happens with the money I paied for the insurance and the taxes, for 2 years?

@eddie2806

That is troubling to hear.  In scoping the web to find out the hard facts on the new residency laws, I have never come across any requirements stating that a sum of money must be held in a bank account, though another member of this site did mention that in order to apply for residency/ikamet, a sum of $200,000 would need to be deposited into a Turkish bank, in addition to purchasing a property and being taxed at a minimum value of $200,000 on the deed.  His comment was sourced from a Turkish real estate agent.  In your case, you are applying for an extension which may have different requirements.  I'm still scouring the internet for more hard facts and if I come across solid information, I will post my findings.  Regardless, it sounds like you may need legal consultation.   Good luck.

I have to say you are well informed, compliments!

@eddie2806Hello, it seems like there is a miscommunication at the immigration directorate of your location. I recommend you to work with a reputable immigration lawyer, not just any lawyer. First of all, in marriages 102.000 TL bank statement includes all the members of the family, it is not for each applicant. In some circumstances, the property owner applicants do not have to show that bank statement, but use a different method called "written statement self-providing" If the immigration clerk rejects receiving your files, a lawyer should object since they have no right to refuse to accept your documents, and if the result comes as "your application is concluded negatively" you will have a chance to appeal. Rejection of submitting the documents would not give you the chance of appeal, which is against the law. Be persistent, if possible ask for their supervisor. If you do not wish to work with a lawyer and they insist on denying your application files before evaluation, contact one of those inspectors (You may google for their contact details) and send them a "Turkish" email regarding the issue arising by the people working at the directorate of immigration.https://www.icisleri.gov.tr/mulkiyeteftis/ankara-grubu-mufettisleri

@Expat Solutions

There was no miscommunication, trust me. The man spoke English and told me this many, many times.

The money, the money, don't touch the money.

I told them, that is a huge sum. It makes no sense. Our marriage is not valid in Turkey, so we would have to have the money on separate accounts.

After I received the documents, it stated that I didn't provide the proof of income, which is not true, I did, they just told me about that money. I was very confused, so I told them ok, I have a month to give those documents, so I need to some research, because it makes no sense what they are asking of me.

I am not buying land, I just want an extension, I'm in Turkey for 2 years, I have all the necessary documents, I paid for everything, I have notarized documents. I am very concerned about this situation. I rented and furnished a whole house, thinking I won't have any problems and now they tell me this.

@Gino_C

I've heard that now the property needs to be worth $200.000 to get the Ikamet based on it.

I've never heard this, that I need $4000 dollars to get Ikamet. It sounds ridiculous, honestly.

@eddie2806 I have lived in many, many countries, and under normal circumstances the initial property tax is 4%. in Turkey taxes are often based on TAPU value (in any case in the past). We live here for a few years and if it is needed to increase the TAPU value it is fine to me (it is normal), I might not like it, but the TAPU practice so far is depriving the Turkish ecomomy from a lot of cash.

When moving to Turkey I counted for 4% on purchase value (on the initial, not annual) and I reserved this.

As for taxes, if you have no income, it is VERY, VERY minimal.

@eddie2806 I have to say a special case, your marriage is not recognized? (what country are you from?, in my view Turkey is flexible, OK bureaucracy, but with a marriage certificate (possible with Apostille should be fine).

Yes renting can be a challenge, but if you want to enjoy life in Turkey you need some cash (honestly what is USD 4 K or even 8 K stalled on a seperate account).

From how you write you are not a refugee, but all countries want to make sure you have assets in any case to take care of yourself (and ideally make a financial contribution to the economy).

We went to our interview yesterday and I think it was smooth and 80 or 90% I think for extention.

We had all of our documents (including (important) a marrige certificate with Apostille, the arranging office was impressed and in the immigration office we were there for a few minutes.

For Dutch people (like us) the process is easy just send ANYBODY to court with the international version and it dealt with. As I understand for example Russians have to go back to the City where they married (true or not true, but I can imagine being married in Vladivostok). I also for Germany I heard horror stories (I do not know if I have to believe, I think in EU rules should be alligned)

Anyhow, I think people from EU (especially Western part) have a good chance (in general they can spend some money). Renting for poor pensioners is diffiicult (impossible). Buying is also challenging (USD 200 K)

But for those expats who already live here with ownership, I think it is fine (for now)

What did we bring, passport, Ikamet, marrige certificate, TAPU, taxes paid, health insurance for 2 years (we are with Allianz, but they do not do 2 year contract so we took the cheapest for 2 years (accidents etc.) But we definitely extend the Allianz insurance (good service, some hospitals contracted (in Alanyam unfortunately a 30 min drive)). Unfortunatley I was there quite often over the last weeks, but re-imbursement is great.

@cdw057

I'm glad that to you $4000/$8000 is nothing, but to me, to put it all at once is a huge amount and I can't afford it. Honestly, I've lived in Turkey for 2 years, I earn more than average and I leave all that money in Turkey. If I did it up until now and continue doing it and I have a proof of earning, I don't understand why do I have to show that I have $4000 on my bank account. Since I spend much more than that, in Turkey, for the period of 6 months. The money is not an issue, my rent is pretty high, I just don't have that bulk of money to show, at once.

Good for you, good luck with your IKAMET, hope you got it

@Gino_C I like your posts, no doubt about it, but i have to say (even if single) living below EUR 1500 pm (with own property) is not lavish. (life is expensive (everywhere))

@cdw057

Hi of course it's a big issue I visited turkey last year with my family i stayed at hotel for about 10 days then I rented an appartment I hired a company named MGC legal for ikamet I paid 600 dollar for my 5 family members approx 3000 usd or 2800 usd for property purchasing after ikamet 

I made extra expenses on notary, paid security deposit of 12000 lira to property agent

Submitted my heavy bank statement

But they refused my application

I lost my 3000 usd + 2800 usd total 5800 usd

And 12000 lira security deposit

I lost my half money in Turkey and returned to my home country

You don't need to have $4000 in your bank account upfront or not touched. You can demonstrate your financial capacity through a regular monthly income, such as a pension, salary or work contract. The requirement is to show a monthly income of at least 17,100 Turkish Lira. This doesn't mean you need to have large savings; income sources like credit card statements, pensions, investments, affiliate earnings, PayPal, or Upwork are also acceptable (there is a process). The key is that this income should eventually be deposited into your Turkish bank account. Living comfortably in Turkey is feasible with around US$600-1000 per month, (low-end) as many people manage on even less. For context, I run two Turkish companies and cover my lifestyle expenses, health, including rent, utilities for both the companies and my home 2+2, and accounting services, all within a total necessities budget of US$1500-2000.

The main issue arises when expats rely solely on their credit cards and bank accounts from their home countries, including those linked to Revolut or Wise. The Turkish government faces challenges in verifying foreign financial documents continuously, as its costly process to notarized, translate, which is why they've made it easier and tightened income validation rules. This change primarily aims to address the influx of people moving to Turkey for its cost-effective lifestyle and then working under the table, often earning around 10,000 Turkish Lira a month. This practice not only undermines local employment but also skirts financial regulations and loss of jobs for locals.

To comply with these regulations, transferring funds from the US to a Turkish bank account, even as little as US$600 per month, can demonstrate financial self-sufficiency. The government requires six months of signed and stamped bank statements for residency renewal. If you maintain this, there's no need to show a lump sum like $4000 in your account. A combination is good 👍.

Many people find themselves unprepared for these regulations, especially if they don't have a Turkish bank account. In such cases, some migration departments in Turkey might ask for a deposit in a newly opened account. The key is to show consistent replenishment of this account, in line with the monthly minimum income requirements regarding requirements.

It's important to note that income verification isn't a new concept; it's a standard practice worldwide. However, in Turkey, there's been a lax approach to enforcing this in the past few years, which is now changing. This shift isn't sudden but part of an ongoing effort to regulate the financial aspects of expatriates living in Turkey. It removes undesireabkes who can't support themselves which reduces crime.

Your lifestyle choices will indeed dictate your expenses, but if you're savvy about it, living costs can be quite manageable. Shopping at local markets is a major saver, akin to having a backyard garden — the prices are that low. For instance, you won't believe how affordable mobile plans are here; you can get a contract for less than $5 to $10 a month with almost unlimited everything. As for utilities, 50 MB internet is around 300 Turkish Lira, water bills are about 100 Turkish Lira, and electricity ranges from 600 to 900 Turkish Lira, varying with the season. Rent, of course, depends on the neighborhood and quality of the apartment, ranging from 5000 to 15,000 Turkish Lira per month. Although rents have risen in the last couple of years, they are starting to stabilize. There are some unique costs to consider, like a one-time registration fee of 20,000 Turkish Lira for a foreign mobile phone and a similar amount for a Turkish driver's license starting next January. Despite these, the overall quality of life here is excellent and financially accessible.

In most countries, the standard process is to apply for residency before moving. Turkey, however, handles this quite differently, which can lead to unforeseen costs and potential financial losses for newcomers. If Turkey were to adopt a system where individuals could apply for residency online before arriving in the country, it would allow for a more streamlined process and reduce the financial uncertainties associated with relocation.

In majority of countries like Indonesia, Malaysia, or Dubai, the norm is to secure your residency or visa online beforehand. This approach provides a sense of security and confidence, as you arrive knowing that your legal status is already settled. You can then comfortably move with your family, having passed the necessary background checks and financial assessments.

Turkey has become a popular destination partly because it historically lacked stringent entry and residency requirements. However, as you've noted, this is changing. Turkey is now aligning more with global standards, implementing tighter checks and requirements. This shift is important for potential residents to consider, as the process for establishing residency in Turkey may now more closely resemble that of other countries, with increased scrutiny and regulation. I think Turkey is going about it better but lots of uncertainty for many mainly about finances due previously lenient policies, is now evolving to align with global standards by introducing more rigorous checks and regulations.

Turkey is increasingly positioning itself as a desirable destination for medical tourism, retirement, and selective immigration. However, if it aims to align with European Union standards and potentially seek EU adoption, significant changes in its current policies and practices will be essential. This strategic shift is crucial for Turkey to enhance its global appeal and meet the rigorous criteria set by the EU.

Certainly! Here's a concise closing paragraph for your article:

"For first-time residency applicants in Turkey, thorough preparation is essential due to the complex and stringent application process currently in place. It's vital to understand the detailed requirements and to have a well-thought-out Plan B, especially considering the brief 10-day period allowed for addressing any issues or appeals. Such readiness is key to successfully navigating the residency application landscape in Turkey. It's disheartening to witness people facing rejection due to a lack of clarity in their applications.”

Have a great weekend 😃

The article's that was shared claims about residency applications in Turkey is misleading. It's still possible to obtain residency by purchasing property, with varying requirements depending on the region. For properties bought between April 26, 2022, and October 16, 2023, the value must be at least 50,000 in smaller regions and 75,000 in metropolitan areas. Key documents include a valuation report and a notarized or registered sales contract. You can still obtain residency by investment. Before April 26, 2022, obtaining residency by investment in Turkey didn't involve financial requirements, but the aforementioned documentation was still necessary for the application.

Purchasing a home in Turkey after October 16, 2023, for less than US$200,000 still allows for residency, but with a key difference. Instead of obtaining a real estate investment residency permit, buyers will be eligible for a touristic residence permit. However, this approach carries certain risks due to the potential for misinterpretation of the law. Additionally, there's a humorous aspect within the expat community regarding how Turkish migration officers are perceived to communicate unofficial 'secret laws' through informal channels like WhatsApp. This joke highlights the sometimes ambiguous and informal nature of legal interpretations in the residency process in Turkey.

The new regulations show that the government is saying enough, enough for realtors and developers to potentially mislead foreign buyers in real estate transactions, posing risks to both the buyers and the government. This issue warrants a separate, in-depth discussion. I suspect these new regulations are due to tax collection and to prevent further investment scam

However, the real estate industry in Turkey poses challenges due to unregistered transactions and the prevalence of unlicensed realtors, a situation heavily regulated since 2000. This lack of regulation and the practice of 'black money' sales put foreign buyers at risk, especially if the property wasn't properly registered at the time of purchase. The issue of overcrowding in certain neighborhoods by expatriates, driven by factors such as an influx of foreign investors paying premium prices, has led to significant changes in residency policies. These changes include the introduction of a 25% district or neighborhood restriction to promote integration and prevent displacement of locals by foreign investors.

Overall, these developments reflect Turkey's evolving approach to managing foreign investment and residency, aiming to balance economic benefits with social integration and stability.

We had a good meeting with the immigration office for extension of Ikamet. we printed many documents proving our financial situation one of them (but not needed we are Dutch). What is important for them was the marrigage certificate (with Apostille) as I understand between Turkey and Netherlands not needed (as per my research), still useful.

Everything was there and we feel comfortable (but in a way it is a shame they did not check on us paying taxes, bank balances, ,,, (nothing).

GOOD post

@d4zt7bsj By the way we spend EUR 3 K per month not working (should be good I think)

I wanted to talk the part about the government‘s new rule, and why they possibly could've implemented this

I've been closely observing Turkey's real estate market and noticed a critical issue. Often, foreigners buy properties for a significant amount, but the official property deed (tapu) shows a much lower value. This discrepancy is a tactic by developers and realtors to dodge high capital gains taxes, or commissions, which can reach up to 35%.

The government's new rule, setting a US$200,000 minimum for real estate investments for residenxy, is a move to tackle this. It mandates that the bank transfer should match this value, aiming to reduce under-declared property values. This benefits the government in securing tax revenues while somewhat allowing for unreported transactions.

For foreigners, this means being cautious. An undervalued tapu can cause huge capital gains taxes later or jeopardize your citizenship residency application, as it might not meet the investment threshold.

My advice? Ensure the declared value of the property aligns with your investment. Get a competent lawyer for due diligence, especially as many realtors might not be licensed and could suggest under-declaring the value. Remember, it's crucial to match or exceed the minimum threshold for residency. And don't take every article at face value – some don't capture the complexity of these issues like the article that was shared as Turkish propaganda.

@cdw057 This is great! Smaller officers have better relationships with foreigners, and each case is unique.

@d4zt7bsj You are really good in your feedbacks!!

@d4zt7bsj I find the greatest obstacle in Türkiye for a foreigner is the language barrier. You as a foreigner have to depend almost completely on an interpreter, and that makes it frustrating when you are dealing with legal matters.   Also, before you jump into buying or renting, get some consultation from reputable agencies.  I got into so much trouble and waste of money and time, because I jumped into things without seeking any consultation.  We get in trouble when we assume things work the same way where we came from. Last but not least, if you want to live in Türkiye, you better learn the language. 

Of course a language is important, but I lived in Netherlands, UK, Luxembourg, Hungary and now in Turkey.

In my view speaking Dutch, Englich German (an my wife also Russian) is more than sufficient. Of course one pays more, but that is fine. I a, 60+ and I do not intend to learn another language (and neither is my wife).

To me language is no barrier at all.

@cdw057 With bureaucracy you can buy support, easy does it

Languages are important, but it's equally important to understand that language barriers shouldn't prevent you from living somewhere. Knowing the local language does make things easier, but it's not a necessity. In Turkey, for instance, interpreters are often mandatory for legal documents when you're signing in front of a notary. However, you may only need to visit the notary once or twice a year. If you have a Turkish driver's license, (80-90%) of the processes won't be needed.

Moreover, most retirement communities for foreigners have a large Dutch-German-Russian-Arab-English-speaking population, and many Turkish people in those communities speak those languages as well. However, it's important to note that not all shops speak or understand English. Knowing the basics like 'yes', 'no', 'water', 'chicken', 'beef', 'good morning', 'good evening', etc., can make your life easier.

It is important to keep in mind that certain communities have a high concentration of people from specific ethnic groups. For example, Antalya has a significant population of Russians. In Alanya, you will find many Dutch-Germans, while the English tend to live on the Aegean or Mediterranean coasts. Any major city has a balance of languages.

Bargaining is another skill that can help you get by without speaking the local language. In the end, you will find little niche markets and areas where English is spoken, especially if you live in a community. Build a network of contacts and collect phone numbers for interpreters when you do meet them.

Have fun 🎢 and don't let language determine your life abroad. 😃👍

Sometimes, when I struggle to express myself well in languages foreign to me, I often joke that if I take more than a few seconds to say something, I will immediately resort to asking my friend, D Google, or even better, Deepl. While using translation apps can be helpful, it is important to keep your sentences short and include some humor to break the ice. I highly recommend using deepl.com and downloading their mobile app, especially when dealing with languages from Eastern Europe or Asia. It's mainly a developer app used by Fortune 500 companies to translate websites, similar to Google Translate. It works the same with 98% accuracy.

Find yourself in trouble say Türkçe, Türkçe, let me grab my friend Google. 😂

@cdw057 Thank you! I aim to remain impartial, but I have noticed that there are individuals who are considering moving to Turkey. Therefore, my posts tend to be lengthy, including many details. As you already know, Turkey is a remarkably beautiful place to reside ❤️ and untouched with abundant opportunities.

@eddie2806

This is not a new rule, it just hasn't been enforced in the past

A bank statement or certificate proves income. showing a regular income of at least $675 per (TL 12,750) person per month or a  minimum account balance for a residence permit for a year will be $8,000.

All they want to do is ensure you are able to support yourself for the duration of your Ikamet.

You can start using the money in the account once the Ikamet has been issued as it's there for your expenses not as proof of how much money you can put/keep in your account.

If you apply for a 2 year permit, you would need 16000USD

I think the actual issue is that you are renting a house, which is something the Turkiye Government isn't keen on (because foreigners are willing to pay more than locals, hence locals are priced out of the market).

Once you purchase a property, they do not seem to be as bothered about proof of income or bank balance.

@cdw057

Hi there,

Here I am try to engage.  I just got my Ikamet, and I want to ask you if by ”extended” you mean renewed.  Can you also tell approximately how much it costs to renew it?  Thanks.

@azmarina91

Hello,

Please note that I have transferred your post to this thread of the Turkey forum as it better fits your search.

Regards

Bhavna

@d4zt7bsj Dear @d4zt7bsj I have read from many sources that you need x amount of dollars per month of stay when applying for a short term ikamet. Are you sure it is sufficient to simply have a permanent monthly income I have a good permanent income per month and I would like to move as soon as possible. Do you have any source you can point me in the direction of. Best regards Elyar

@d4zt7bsj Dear d4zt7bsj Are you sure it is sufficient to demonstrate a good monthly income. I have read from many sources that you need an x amount of money per month of stay when applying for a short term visa. Are there any sources you can point me in the direction of. I want to move as soon as possible and therefore I would be happy to confirm that you simply need a good permanent monthly income- which I have. Thank you in advance Elyar

@azmarina91 We probably overpaid, support, taxes.. TRY 20.000 (not too bad I have to say)

@elyarmohajer The GOC department has two options available - savings and regular income. Savings are provided in the form of a lump sum based on a set of minimum criteria. On the other hand, regular income is a recurring payment/transfer that includes salary, pensions, rental income, and investment income, which is deposited into your Turkish bank account every month. The monthly amount for a single adult is currently TL25,503. This is clearly listed in the missing document list from GOC, which states the minimum salary times the 1.5 migration factor.

Turkish monthly salary from January 1st, 2024, to July 1st, 2024, is 17,002 TL. When multiplied by 1.5, it becomes 25,503 TL. However, this amount may vary for couples and those with children. Numerous online articles are available on this subject.

Even if a family is permitted to live in Turkey with a Turkish spouse, they must show proof of financial ability. This includes having a monthly income of at least 1/3 of the minimum salary, which is 17,002/3 or 5,667.3 Turkish Lira. If a married couple has one child, this means they must have a monthly income of 17,002 + 5,667 + 5,667 or a total of 28,336 Turkish Lira per month.

The law is applied uniformly for everyone, however, different officers may interpret it differently. To avoid any complications, it is recommended that you transfer the required amount or more into your Turkish bank account monthly. This rule also applies to homeowners. Even if one officer says it's required and another says it's not, it's always better to be safe than sorry. It's advisable to have the necessary documents ready and present them during the interview, so the officer can make a decision accordingly.

When requesting 6 months of bank statements from your Turkish bank, remember that the process is free, and they will be signed and stamped on each page.

Remember, salaries in Turkey changed on January 1 and July 1 for these years due to the economy and inflation.

This is for residency purposes in Turkey, not for travel visas. To apply for a travel visa, $50 per month is required on visa.gov.tr.

@elyarmohajer Are you currently thinking about renting or buying a home? Getting a tourist permit has been challenging since December 2022. If you plan on residing in Turkey for a long time, it is advisable to invest in a home in an expat-friendly area. There is no official notice about the income requirements, but reputable agencies in Turkey have shared the details, which are consistent with the findings from interviews with people.

@d4zt7bsj

Dear d4zt7bsj

I am hoping to get a tourist residence permit. Are you able to give me more informations as to the new stringent requirements for tourist ikamet. thank you

Hiya,

I've noticed a few people complaining of how much money they have lost due to their Ikamet

application being refused, so I thought I would point out that any fees you have paid for the actual application (i.e. not agents fees, or notary, translation etc) are fully refundable if your application is rejected.

You simply take the rejection letter to the tax office (or wherever you paid) and they will issue a refund to your Turkish bank account. It has to be to a Turkish bank account in your (i.e. the applicant's) name.

The refund application has to be made within a certain short time limit (possibly 7 days.......not sure)

Hope someone finds this useful.