Ikamet Turkey

I do not know, my message was gone for whatever reason this morning.

For the forum, why is there no any post on Ikamet for foreigners, we have support and of course even having own property, we still have concerns.

We have enough funds, we have a health insurance, we have a valid Ikamet, we have our own property, we have paid taxes and even mandatory earth quake insurance, we have no fights with our direct neighbours (GOOD).

I think we some support an extention of Ikamet should not be a problem (HOWEVER at the time of buying the TUPA value was TRY 255 K (more than USD 75 K) at the time. We have done what we should (perhaps more then others), just that the TAPU value is lower than USD 75 K (at current rates) is worrying me a little bit.

This is an expat forum so at least some of you should worry on Ikamet I would think, but nothing on the topic.

My wife and me can take care of ourself and we have sources. Still WHY does not seem to be worried.

People who rent (and have no job) have something to worry about. Even owners with TAPU value under USD 75 K have something to worry (in my view)

The forum does not mention this at all, strange?

Cdw, my situation is same as your's. I bought my place back in 2020, the TAPU value was less than 75k,  probably it has doubled by now. I don't see a problem getting a renewal. Just remember to provide all supporting documents at the time of renewal.

I have no real concerns (yet), still good to follow developments, Turkey clear needs Tourits and being too agressive might create issues. Haing said that even within EU  (Portugal/Spain) things are arising (Turkey has more right to challenge I think (just thinking, too early, ony concerns end of the year, but if Ikamet is refused it is a problem (selling our house with a massive discount??)

Still I do not think Turkey is stupid (even if many expats have issues).

For Turkey (even poor Germans) get an inflow (not too much, but still)

Difficult to find the balance between Turkish employees (and excessive rent) and being practical.

@cdw057 Cash/remunaration is no problem

I do not know, my message was gone for whatever reason this morning.
For the forum, why is there no any post on Ikamet for foreigners, we have support and of course even having own property, we still have concerns.
We have enough funds, we have a health insurance, we have a valid Ikamet, we have our own property, we have paid taxes and even mandatory earth quake insurance, we have no fights with our direct neighbours (GOOD).
I think we some support an extention of Ikamet should not be a problem (HOWEVER at the time of buying the TUPA value was TRY 255 K (more than USD 75 K) at the time. We have done what we should (perhaps more then others), just that the TAPU value is lower than USD 75 K (at current rates) is worrying me a little bit.

This is an expat forum so at least some of you should worry on Ikamet I would think, but nothing on the topic.
My wife and me can take care of ourself and we have sources. Still WHY does not seem to be worried.
People who rent (and have no job) have something to worry about. Even owners with TAPU value under USD 75 K have something to worry (in my view)

The forum does not mention this at all, strange?
-@cdw057

There used to be alot of posts on Ikamet there is barley anymore for one simple reason.

Most foreigners have been leaving Turkey in droves.

1. The rules have become too complicated to get an ikhamet and are yearly changing of where you can live, or you can't live, and districts, and cities of where you can settle down and get an ikhamet are always changing. Through this complicated process most people are choosing to retire in other countries that are as cheap or almost as cheap as Turkey, and don't have such a complicated settlement process.
  2. The Turkish economy is getting worse, and worse. Since I have left Turkey when the turkish liara was 18 TL = 1 USD. It is now 23.66 TL to 1 USD and getting worse. That means most people have either packed up their businesses and left. Or have left their jobs since their salaries have dropped even more to go seek jobs in other countries or back in their home countries.
  3. The nationalists have taken over and has been making Turkey more and more unpleasant for foreigners to live here. Turkey has proven that their economic investment program is no longer stable with nationalists doing almost monthly calls to revoke the citizenships of foreigners who have received it through the Turkish economic investment program.
  4. Because of Turkeys political stance recently and making multiple European countries angry most have opted to leave and no longer support turkey.
  5. The value of properties keep going down, and becoming more and more worthless, and people are trying to sell off all of their properties before the Turkish liara crash even more, and cash out their money, and to go invest in other countries.

Which leaves a small pool of people going to Turkey which can be broken down into:

1. Someone with a turkish spouse or turkish ancestry. Which means the Ikhamet process is straight forward for them.
  2. Someone getting a good job offer in Turkey that pays well. Which is very hard to find in Turkey now days. Which means the employer will be handling most of the ikhamet process and helping them.
  3. Someone who is willing to go to Turkey and illegally work under the table for money which leaves people coming from countries which are worse off economically then Turkey such as Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, and African countries. Which means they won't be applying for ikhamets.
  4. Someone who wants to do business in Turkey which is only a very small amount of people since now there is many other countries to invest in and do business in that offer better benefits, and a more simple process.

This is why you do not see many posts about Ikhamets anymore because many people left Turkey, or no longer want to go to Turkey.

@cdw057 We all get nervous before our renewal dates. There are nearly 100 k foreigners owning homes ,living under the same status as us, so please remain optimistic, I see no reason to worry about this issue.. please chill as I would tell my friends

@Randomguy2000 Good extensive reply, indeed many people leave, especially those wo rent and some who own. We came to Turkey to die (in good comfort), but are things are they are, this even requirement might be difficult to achieve (Ikamet).

We bought our appartment, but demand is plummeting so we have accepted we will stay here for some years to come.

Big question for my wife and me is are we allowed to, we do what we can, but there is no guarantee (Than what a nice appartment, but we do not want to rent out, selling is also difficult)

Lets see how things develop (changes are fast, very fast, some in a good direction, others not).

Having said that Turkey needs foreign spending (The spending of Russia will probably go down, West European owners are running away (even as tourists they still come, but Turkey is getting an expensive flair).

Good for Turkey as an economy (export) TRY is plummeting, but for locals it is not good.

Of course Erodgan has to stick to his promises so for now salaries/pensions etc are increasing (I do not know about October)

Also good for Turkey it will have its own gas (not for free, but much cheaper than buying abroad and it will also give quite some employment)

Apologies, my posts are chaotic as usual (and apologies for future posts in advance).

One might say I am old, smoking, drunk or Dutch (fair, but comments are coming from my heart)

I understand your concerns. Since a few months I have been thinking of going over to Albania to have a look, whether I could keep as plan B for myself.

@Zill Good consideration, but if you are an owner, it might be too late already. Good if Turkey comes to is senses (and I think they will, (question is when)). Selling now is a challenge (we can say as we try).

@cdw057 may I ask which city is your apartment

@Zill I'm from Pakistan  karachi