Controls of residency

I read quite a lot of police checking if people declaring are actually living there (Ikamet) and not renting out illegally. We took notice of this but were not connfronted drectly or even indirectly.

We also do not worry as we have nothing to hide and we actually live here permanently.

The policeman was very friendly and forthcoming and all was fine, apart from the fact that a child was registered on our address (we do not even have children), I suppose they will correct that.

I have to say rarely I have seen such a friendly approach.

We also lived in Luxembourg which was perhaps even more friendly when checking we are really living there, but bottom line very very good approach and well documented.

Looking forward to your experience (if at all (yet))

@cdw057 By the way personally I think it is good to challenge residency especially if not true. Those who rent things out without taxes or declaration should be caught.

I love Turkey but it's no longer a safe country in certain parts due to terrorism. Such a shame, but I have out off wanting to live there for a while

@CarolanneO     Apologies  but in Turkey I would feel safe much more than I would in Western Europe, I lived in many countries and honestly Turkey and Hungary were the most safest. Terrorism is of course a special topic, but feeling free and not bothered in day-to-day life is also important.

@CarolanneO Teror meaning is fear , so if you think like here is not safe they achieved their goal.

If I wanted to live under a dictatorship that controlled every single action, I did then I would go live in China. I put alot of money into the economy, and help create jobs, etc because I like living in that country and relaxing. Not having to worry if the police are going to show up to my door if I live there or not.

There is many countries in the world, and turkey has been heading downhill, and making it more and more impossible for foreigners to live there. Time to leave Turkey and find another country where I can spend my money, and run my business, and employ local people there, and create jobs there. And atleast not live under an increasing police state government.

@cdw057 Do the policemen comes without a notice about checking if you are living there or not? Maybe the time they are coming we are not home if they don't give a message before about time and date.
-@Amjad Barzinje

No they show up randomly. They never give you a notice in advance This is their way of getting rid of people they don't want in their country even if they are there legally. They will randomly show up at your home, and if no one is there then ask you to come into the office.

This is a stupid policy especially if you own multiple homes or apartments, and you are not going to be at one or the other. Or you travel alot, and are not going to spend much time at your apartment or at your home.

@Amjad Barzinje They do not come with a notice (understandably I have to say), of course there are occassions that my wife and me are at home, but I would say in 80% of the time either us will be there. Perhaps on the occassion will be both not there we might be requested to report ona police station or somewhere else.

I personally happy that they actually came when we were at home.

Getting those claiming to be permanent residents and are not is a good thing, even if inconvenient for some.

I suspect many, many rent out apartments without paying taxes this is not good and should be clamped down upon.

Years ago, I have friends who had police come randomly and search their home and even electronic devices with no warning. However, the only interaction from the police with me after a year and a half in Bursa was a phone call to verify my address.

@Randomguy2000 Thanks for the prompt answer, So approximately how many days they usually do the visit after apply to the residency (ikamet), to prepare to be home more also, usually what time they will come mornings? thanks in advance.
-@Amjad Barzinje

Out of my almost two years in Turkey I have never had them come to my address once or call me to verify who I was or anything else. It is a policy directed at people from unwanted nationalities. For example, if you are an American, Canadian, European more than likely they will never come bother you.

But if your arab, pakistani, etc you run the risk of them randomly showing up.

They may show up after a week, or they may never show up. It all depends on what their policy is, and who they want to check. They usually don't show up during the Ikamet process. They usually show up after you already have your Ikhamet so if they find you lying then they can revoke it from you.

But keep in mind after you apply for the ikhmet they have rules of how long before you can leave the country doing the process, and how long you can stay out of the country during the process. Also once you have your Ikhamet you can only spend so long out of the country before they would revoke it. You should study these rules, and policies since the Turkish government is always changing them.

@Randomguy2000 As a note, me and my wife are Dutch and our Ikamet is valid until end of next year.

@CarolanneO I believe Turkey is the safest country! I feel very safe, I find Turkish people are nice and the most hospitable and that makes me feel extra safe! I don't know where you are from, but many European countries and American cities are the most dangerous.

What is your nationality

Hello Kanchana,

To whom is your question addressed please ?

Regards,

Bhavna