Garbage collection question

How is the garbage collection situation in Tripoli on these very hot days of Ramadan?
For almost a year, I was being told that roads had piles of garbage (so much so that the cars cannot make their usual illegitimate u-turns because of the garbage piled up at the center lane (especially on Gurcu road)
The Q. palace and the Chech beach were also being used as garbage dumpster, is that right?

ARe there proper municipal public services now?

thanks
fk

we had a problem some time ago, now it is fine and the service is back to normal (and even better with the new Bengali hard workers who seem to do very good), the problem was in the dumpster access as the locals around the dumpster blocked dumping garbage in the dumpster for a while, but the problem was solved many weeks ago.

I'm just back from spending three weeks in Tripoli ,Libya and i can honestly say i have never seen a place so strewn with rubbish in my life. There was rubbish everywhere ,it got to a point where i actually closed my eyes at some points so as not to see the rubbish heaps. I understand that Libya has just been through a bloody revolution and the scars of which are very evident throughout the city,from buildings bombed by Nato to bullet holes in the high rise apartments in Abu Salim. I know the rubbish situation isn't an immediate issue for the interim government right now but it is dire. You can see the neglect of the past 42 years on every building ,every public park on people's faces.The libyan people are extremely nice and  respectful and they  definitely deserve better.Personally ,i going to wait two more years before i return there.

it sure is a sad sight....you are lucky you didnt have to drive to other cities....i went to Benghazi a couple of months back about 4 hours drive from my place and it was horrible!!

every little town or village's begining and end has trash spread across hundres of meters without any proper disposal arrangements or allocations of waste collection pits or something!!

hope it will get better with time when the govt starts to work along creating awareness about proper trash disposal...!!

cheers!

amazinguniverse wrote:

I'm just back from spending three weeks in Tripoli ,Libya and i can honestly say i have never seen a place so strewn with rubbish in my life. There was rubbish everywhere ,it got to a point where i actually closed my eyes at some points so as not to see the rubbish heaps. I understand that Libya has just been through a bloody revolution and the scars of which are very evident throughout the city,from buildings bombed by Nato to bullet holes in the high rise apartments in Abu Salim. I know the rubbish situation isn't an immediate issue for the interim government right now but it is dire. You can see the neglect of the past 42 years on every building ,every public park on people's faces.The libyan people are extremely nice and  respectful and they  definitely deserve better.Personally ,i going to wait two more years before i return there.

I think it has gotten better over the past year. On main roads in Tripoli, garbage is picked up regularly; otherwise it can lie there for some time. Still lots of work to be done.