Situation and Safety in Tripoli?

Hi,

Will be travelling to Tripoli in March on a business trip of just one week. Have heard different views on Tripoli some say its safe other's not.

What is the situation really like at the moment? i.e is it safe or you hear gunfire 24/7? can you go out just for a dinner in the evening from the hotel to a restaurant and back to hotel? or it is even very risky to travel by day?

Thankyou!

The situation in Tripoli keeps changing so it's difficult to say what it'll be like when you come in March. I believe the problems in Tripoli are isolated incidents however more than nation wide upheavals so no you won't hear gunfire 24/7. As for moving around you should be fine during the day and i would recommend sticking to city centre areas in the night though, avoid isolated places.

I suggest you ask again closer to the time of your trip for a real-time opinion of the situation.

Thanks Jameela30.

Unfortunately, I've just read on news that Libya declared a state of emergency and that Tripoli center hospital was attacked last night! so I am concerned more than ever now! According to the news seems that situation in Libya is deteriorating day by day ...

If other people are living in Tripoli right now would love to have your views guys!

elesml

don't listen too much at what the news say, most of the time they get things wrong. What i mean is ask people on the ground and remember the situation here is always kinda unstable but not necessarily dangerous. Coming for one week on business should be OK. If this business is important to you then go ahead
I hope you manage to make your decision

As a matter of fact, we cannot predict the situation in Tripoli. Yes Tripoli Central Hospital was attacked last night but this kind of incidents happens once in a blue moon. But still it is suggested to take good care of yourself and be at home before 8-9 pm.

I agree, just because something happen doesn't mean it happens all the time. Just be careful when you come, common sense precautions and you'll be fine

Thank you both of you :)  I Feel better now and more reassured!

Well, a lot of countries are facing this kind of situation now days. Libya is much better than those countries, specially Tripoli. We go around the city every day and rarely face any problem. So I always encourage people to come here and try to enjoy. :)

i'm Libyan and i live in Tripoli ,  don't listen to anyone ! it's safety more than New yourk !!  just come man u will feel happy hear and people are most friendly than anywhere you think !! come come

I is true than security here in libya is unstable but not worst as the media or other say you can do your normal thing here

My advice to you on your visit to Tripoli would be try not to go out alone, take a taxi only from a recommended source, go out by all means for dinner but do stay close to your hotel and when leaving the hotel tell the receptionist where you are planning on going.  Be safe use the same common sense you would at home.  Enjoy your trip

Hi,

How is the situation in Tripoli now days. I have an offer with me from Tripoli which I has accepted with positive attitude but recent news and evens are giving me cold feet and I am rethinking on my decision. Is the situation really bad or media is exaggerating it. I have a very positive view about Libyan peoples and am confident that they will come out  of these crisis.
I need your opinion should I move ahead on this offer or not, I need to join in next 15 days at my new company.

Looks like I will be returning after hasty exit in February 2011................liked Libya very much as a Brit and looking forward to it but not sure about safety and security. Safe to live  in an Appatment as a single man?? Restaurants, shops, taxis etc

Does coffee shop next to Clock Tower still exit??? Medina still the same?? And the superb gardens near Radisson Blu???

Looking forward to it, provided its not a big risk

Hi,
I came out to Libya in January from England.
It's very much up and down here at the moment. You will have heard of the recent fighting in Benghazi - we hear rumours of these sorts of things every day. I live near the city centre - 15 minutes walk from Martyr's Square and i can often hear gunfire from my window - though I would say 90% of the time it is celebratory - weddings etc.
I am an English teacher so we live in a flat provided by the school and I live with other teachers, so I can't really comment on living alone etc. Again my only experience is post revolution, but there are plenty of shops - Marks and Spencers, Debenhams, plus all the other brands in Gergarish. Restaurants are great and cheap. Taxis - depends on who you talk to. I have taken taxis in Tripoli with no problem at all. However, I also heard of someone traveling 40 mins by tax who was taken off onto a side road and robbed (believe it or not, the taxi driver then finished his journey with him and even asked for the tax fare!!).
Yes, Cafe Casa is still next to the clock tower. It doesn't appear to me as though the medina has changed - though again I can't compare to pre-revolution. The gardens are still by the Radisson Blu - though looking a bit dry at the moment.
Any other questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to help.
Pete

Thanks Peter. will keep in touch

Robert

Robbed and then asked for the fare?
Did the man or woman then say "I would pay you but I've just recently been robbed and have no money."
That would be funny if it weren't true.

howdy im hanan frm libya id lyk to help at anything heres ma fb name is Hanna Johnny