Moving to Melbourne with wife and children, from Singapore

Guys, need your honest opinion here.

I got my Australian PR recently and currently actively looking for an IT job thru seek.com.au

Would you call me crazy if I were to move to Melbourne without securing a job first?  I mean move the whole family over, get a place to stay, then find a job. 

Also, is it easier to get a job if you have 'immediate job availability', instead of staying in Singapore and with availability of at least 2 months due to my company's notice period requirement.

Appreciate any thoughts.

AhBeng,

I just arrived in Melbourne coming from Sydney to vacation. This was in addition to the requirement of having to enter Australia as part of the PR visa. I had a meeting with one of the many recruitment agencies to talk about my job prospects. The two HR reps told me that the likelihood of finding a job while I have not yet moved to Australia is small although I have heard of people getting a job without coming to Australia yet. But one of the HR reps told me that it is usually for people that are experts in their field.

Not really sure why it would matter considering we have all this technology with conference calling, webcam, skype,etc. Some companies in the US already do webcam interviews without having to fly out the candidates.

For myself, I would not be making a move to Australia without first securing a job. There is no guarantee that a new job will be found considering I do have financial commitments where I currently live. It's a risk especially if you still have a job where you are currently located.

I am not sure if you have checked out the expenses here in Australia but it's not that cheap. If you want to move to Australia without first securing a job, I would probably suggest that you just go on your own and leave your family behind. This will at least lower your expenses here in Australia while you look for a job. Once you secure a job, then send your family to join you. I have heard that some people have done it this route.

Good Luck.

Hi jb09, very much appreciate your insights!
I have been thinking about the two options of either bringing the whole family over or going there by myself first.

Yes, it would make financial sense, I think I'd better prep the wife and son for the potential long separation.

I hope you are enjoying your tour of Melbourne.

Thanks again!

I forgot to mention and you probably know that you must enter Australia before a certain day as your official entry. I don't know how that applies to family visas and if your individual entry into Australia can represent your family? What I mean by that is.. you and your individual family members will eventually have to enter Australia before that specific date whether you have secured a job or not. The Australian visa sticker that you are supposed to get for each of your passports should state this information. Have you gotten this yet?

I was given about 8 months after my visa grant date before I needed to enter Australia. I decided to just do it early. If you or your family members do not enter before this initial entry date, I believe you may lose your visa. You PR visa is valid for 5 years year and in order to renew it if you plan to ever travel outside of Australia once you migrate, you must at least reside 2 full years out of the 5 years before that visa expiration. But if you meet the residency requirements, you may instead apply for Australian citizenship and don't need to keep renewing your PR visa in the future.

All this information is available at immi.gov.au and may already know about this? However, I have read in other forums that many people are not aware of this and let their visa lapse. Just passing some information just in case you are not aware. But do check with immi.gov.au for the latest information since at any time, the Australian Immigration has the right to make changes.

Hi Ah Beng,

First, I give you my respect for moving to another country without a job and all the factors facing you.

When I look at you, it reminds me of myself when I move to Thailand without a job, friends, relatives or family.  I thought of living and working for 3 - 4 years but now I am coming to my 16 years in Thailand.

Am I crazy to make that decision, I felt not as I search deep inside myself, what I love most between Singapore and Thailand.  Every place has good and bad since there is no perfect place.

Likewise when one marry, there is no perfect wife.  We all have to make do and adjustments.

If you are a fighter, I believe you will succeed.  Keep peace, love and joy in your heart then you sure make it.

All the best to you
Cheers

Hi all, this is really encouraging to know that there are ppl who have done it/ trying to relocate yourselves to Aus.

AhBeng, have you finally settle down in Melbourne? And what are you doing now jb09?

Hi AhBeng,

I am also from Singapore (Australia PR last year). My wife asked me to move over to Melbourne first, secure a job, settle down, before she and our son move over. My concern is whether I can secure a job in Australia. I have a few years of working experience in the electrical engineering industry.

Any advice from people out there?

Hi Joshua! I'm not sure if my advices are good enough.. But what you can do now is start applying for jobs from Singapore. I did that and received few calls from recruiters and even landed one Skype interview with a big Oz company.

Persevere and keep trying.. Good luck :)

Dear Ah Beng and Joshua Tan,

Congratulations on getting your PR!

Ah Beng,

I hope things are working out for you now. Are you living and working in Australia already?

Joshua Tan,

I agree with many of the posts from the other readers here, especially JB09. I am from Kuala Lumpur and have just moved here to Melbourne recently. I left my job in KL and am now searching for work here. I got my visa sticker a couple of years ago but couldn`t come any sooner. So I decided to come this year as there wasn`t much time left. I still had slightly more than three years to meet the two years residency in Australia, but decided not to leave it too close to the end.

I hear from other friends who have migrated here that it is, in practice, difficult to get a job from overseas. Given a choice, I would try and get a job first before coming over. That would be ideal, because it would eliminate all the risks. However, if one was not able to find a job from overseas after some time (maybe after one or two years - don`t leave it until the last moment as you may risk defaulting on meeting your residency (as JB09 said)), then you may have to risk coming over first in order to increase your chances of getting a job.

Certainly, your wife`s idea is a good one, to have one of you come over first and secure a job before getting the rest of the family to move. This is what most of my friends with families do. But I am not sure about meeting the residency requirements for families (as JB09 mentioned) and you probably want to check on this (I am single, so I don`t know either).

Do keep in touch and let us know what you decide. I`m still learning about the migration process here, but will always be happy to help in any way if I can! Maybe we can meet up one day when you are here :)

Best Wishes,
Hock Siew

Hock Siew,

Good to hear from you.
You are from KL and I am from Singapore.
We are neighbour.

I got the visa, applied on my own. My wife is not able to meet the requirement. So I applied and when I got the PR, my wife automatically got it, as she is my spouse.

Before applying for PR, I did research on how to apply through migration agent. According to them, at least 2 different agents, told me that I could either move to Australia 2 years before the 5th year, or move over to Australia at the end of the 5th year. Either way will not affect my residence status. Therefore, I may be choosing the latter. My visa expire at the mid of 2015, so I ample time to prepare myself.

What job are you looking? I am looking for electrical engineering. Do let me know when you have found a job.

Josh

Dear Josh,

I have the same understanding on fulfilling the residency requirements. It`s just that I thought it might be a bit risky, because you can`t leave Australia once the 5 years have expired, until you complete the 2 years requirement. I`m not sure what will happen if you need to travel out of Australia due to an emergency or for work. Just want to make sure, in case you have any difficulties later on.

I have qualifications in Electronics Engineering; but I have worked many years in the manufacturing sector and am looking for work in that area. Manufacturing is a bit slow at the moment, because of the strength of the Australian dollar and also the current uncertainty in the Western economies.

You can contact me if you come to Australia. I am in Melbourne at the moment, but I don`t know where I`ll end up yet as I`m still looking for work. I`ll let you know how it goes :)

Rgds,
Hock Siew

Hi All,

Hock Siew, Hope u r job search is progressing well.

I feel a lil relived that there are lot us who share the sme dilemma.  I.e. to move to a complete new country and strt all over again by quitting the job @ hand. To me, personally it seems too risky a decision to make rite now. @ the sme time I dont want to lose the PR esp after the efforts i hav taken to get it. Its perfect catch 22 situation and makes me sick ;)
but when i see the ones who hav braved it, givs me a bit of confidence.

I had applied under the category 175 and had visited MEL in June this year. Did meet the regular consultants (Hays / Hudson & the likes) and all of them had the sme thing to say. They were like 'you hav to quit ur job and be present in Australia for the interviews'. It seemed a bit absurd in this day and age and esp in the present economic condition.

Would be nice to knw more from others who are in MEL. Appreciate if u could add me to your network and i am happy to share wat I knw.

Cheers,
aRUN

Dear Arun,

Thanks for your post :)

Whenever I speak to any of my other friends who have migrated here before me, I get the same feedback, that the employers want the candidate to be in the country before they consider him or her. I understand that it is not just because of the interview process. Certainly it is easier to engage someone when he or she is present in a face-to-face meeting. However, I hear that they are also concerned as to whether the candidate will actually move at the end of the day. One of the recruitment agents told me of a case whereby the candidate did not show up at the last moment.

Anyway, if you are able to get a job before coming over, it would be ideal. But, in practice, it is very difficult. All the best to you, whichever way you decide to go!

Rgds,
Hock Siew

Hi all, I've been in Melb, working 4+ years. Employers prefer you to be in the country when shortlisting applicants. So to improve your chances.... In my experience SG have few problems in surviving here if you're willing to work and are not fussy. Msg me for more info; [email protected]

Dear TehTarik, Hock Siew, Arun007, Joshua Tan,Ah Beng,

Hello, My name George from Malaysia, Klang and i just granted PR subclass 176 (Victoria state sponsored) on 1st Sep 2011

My family, my wife and 2 children had made our first visit to Melbourne on 6th November 2011 and we spent a week there.

I plan to migrate to Melbourne this year probably May. I have to make decision any time now as my company requires me to give 3 month's notice....hahaha ridiculous..isnt it?

I m a veterinarian by professional but since vet is not recognised there i applied under agricultural consultant job which i m currently doing now.

I had applied many jobs online but still no news yet. I received one reply from one of the poultry company. However the HR personal advised me to apply when i m living in Australia cos the company's policy requires a 2 stage face to face interview..still the same story...

I plan to use skype to call from Malaysia to Australian recruitment agent ..i have experience using skype pc to pc but not experience buying credit and call to fixed or mobile phone..anybody would like to share the experience with me?

So is true that not easy to get a job in Australia while you are abroad. Maybe tehtarik could share with me how to get job while you still abroad.

So Hock Siew, Arun007, Joshua Tan and Ah Beng, have you settle down in Melbourne and get a job there?

Hope we could still keep in touch and if possible could meet you all when i m in Melbourne later....i could be reached at [email protected]

Happy New Year

regards,
George

Hi All,

We used to live in Melbourne during uni days and wouldn't think twice about settling in Melbourne then. Having left Melbourne for nearly 17 years and have settle down with 2 children, the decision became so much more difficult as there are consideration of schools etc. We are now in Singapore and schools in Singapore are good. We have all the asian conveniences here and friends and relatives too. Yet, we cant seemed to give up the AustPR that we have. We were seriously considering migrating last year, even sold our house etc but after the visit in May, I am having second thoughts cos the cost of living is very high and being down under means less traveling to neighboring countries.  Any where that we plan to go means we have to add 7 hours travelling time out of Australia. 

Anyone out there that share our dilemma?

Hi all, glad to find this forum and noted a few fellow singaporeans and malaysians. 

i am in the midst of applying for the PR and aim to move to Melbourne once we get the PR which should be around early next year.

Did you manage to buy a place to stay in melbourne before moving over or you rented a place first?  How is the property market like in melbourne?  Are you staying in the city or suburbs of melbourne?

Lots of questions......and would be appreciative if you would share your experience.  Thanks!

Hi Sweetpeayeo,

Good luck with your application. You can try checking the website for property prices and rentals which I normally check. realestate.com.au . As in any place, rental in the city is higher. I noticed many migrants from malaysia, singapore and hong kong lives in suburb like Doncaster, Glen Waverley and Box Hill whereas the vietnamese are in Richmond, Springvale etc.

Hi there!!!

I am Eduardo from Mexico, I am about to start the application for PR visa, I am nervous about the decision that I am taking, since I am married and I have one child who is two years old. I read your post and it was really interesting for me to know different opinions about going to Australia, with you opinions my mind has become more clear, I think I will go on my own, because as you said life is quiet expensive in Australia. So with the experience that all of you have (long experience) I would like you guys to advise me about Australia, I mean I am a mechanical engineer with experience in manufacturing area (4 years), do you think it is easy to find a job for a guy with the same situation as me? how much difficult is to find a job there? how much difficult was the get along with Australian culture?, how long does it take to find a job in there? please tell me all your experiences?

Thanks for your help, and I hope that you, who are about to start a new life in Australia, has a nice experience and a prominent future!!!

Hi AustPR, thanks for your sharing.  Are you now staying in Australia?

Hi Sweetpeayeo,

Its like a 'tug of war' situation for me. A big part of us wanted to go yet were afraid of the uncertainties.  We are contemplating to go in earliest Apr or maybe June, in time for the kids to start term 3 school.

It's a comfort to know I'm not the only one having the dilemma of quitting my job first and then risking it all to find a job in Melbourne.

I've already tendered from my job and will be moving to Melbourne at the end of March, so things are already set in motion, but no job at the other end yet :(

Desperately looking for affordable accomodation right now....so if anyone is like me feel free to drop me a msg and maybe between ourselves, we can come up with something(shared rental)

1. This website I find very useful for general and some specific info; www.news.com.au
2. Job market is not good in Melbourne now.
3. Employers prefer applicants to already be in Australia.
4. Rent first. Choose location. Budget.
Migrating is risky, challenging, etc. Prepare yourself.
Good luck.

Hi all! glad to have stumbled upon this site! I was just granted my visa 175 last week. Thinking of locating to Melbourne in 2 years time. Wonder what I have landed myself into. A moment of impulsiveness. I would love to move over the melbourne soon if not for the fact that i just resigned from my current job and landing in another job. Was told the visa application would take 2 years.. but now only 9months have passed. Anyway I am a teacher, wonder if it would be difficult to find job as a teacher in australia.

Anyway I just want to say hi! haa jus need an outlet to pour my worries n joy cos none of my friends would be able to empathise with the situation now.

Hi josh24601,

That is a brave move, and I wish you well when you move from Singapore to Australia. I last wrote to the blog last year. Just want to have a quick update on myself.

Late last year, I have changed job. My current employer is a US MNC, and have jobs in many parts of Australia, particularly in Melbourne and Sydney. However, I need to stay in this company for at least 2 years, before I can make a switch (internal transfer). Thus, I am planning to make a switch after I have fulfilled the 2 years employment period, which finishes by the end of next year.

By the way, josh24601, are you married or moving over alone to Australia. It will be good if we can meet up and share on moving over to Australia. I have actually planning to meet up with all the Singaporeans out there, who have the same plan as me, to move over to Australia.

Josh

(Moderated: please post in the classifieds)

We repatriated to Melbourne (from Singapore) last month and now live in Regional Victoria. About 70 klms west of Melbourne.

Quite nice out of town, close to train station etc. it was just far too expensive for us to live in the city of Melbourne and that is our main reason for living so far out. But we do like it. It is peaceful, plenty of space and fresh air too!!

We have found Australia to be more expensive than Singapore. Especially food. Cars are cheaper as is meat but that's about all. Add the high cost of food to the currency exchange and it is a shock to the system. But overall it's still OK

Once our shipment arrives we will be able to cook good foods again as we do miss the foods of Singapore!!

My email is leonefabre AT gmail DOT com if anyone would like to meet up

Leone and John.

Hi All

I have just moved to Melbourne in March this year and I have found a job as their company accountant in April. At first it was on trial basis for 3 months and after I have worked for 3 weeks they have decided to take me on full time and increase my salary bu A$20K.

At first I also have the dilemma it is unsound to give up my good paying job back home and start fresh here. Therefore landing a job before coming here will be ideal however it is almost impossible to get even an interview offshore.

My suggestion is rather than relying on recuitment agency or online recruitment webiste your chance of securing a job is much higher if you know someone here. If you secure an interview the chance of you getting a job is definitely higher.

Good luck.

Well done, dliew888.

I am also contemplating moving to Australia. Do you get more or less after the tax (I think is 40%)? How you like the working life in Australia as compare to Singapore? Are you in Australia alone or with your family?

Joshua

Hi Joshua

You are right the tax is Australia is significantly compared to Singapore at A$37,001 you are taxed at 37% plus 1.5% of medicare levy. However you will get tax offsets if you have family and dependent spouse. You can visit www.ato.gov.au for more details.

To be honest working in Australia is defintely less stressful compared to back home because you are not required to stay back. I start at 8am and always finish at 4.30pm everyday. Empoyers here rarely ask you to work overtime.

My elder son is here with me but my wife and small boy will join us in September.

Good Luck

Hi dliew888,

I am now in the stage to decide whether to go or not...There are many ??? However, I personally feel that I should go and experience it myself, so that I can determine whether the move is right or wrong.

Joshua

Hi Joshua

My feeling is not about right or wrong but the ultimate deciding point is what you wish to achieve from making this bold move. For me is child education and less stressful life as we are already in our mid forties.

The education system is Malaysia is defintely not up to standard as so many professionals send their kids to either private or international school.

I was facing the same dilemma 3 months ago but now I am fine and gradually settling down in Melbourne. One of bosses used to say to me in order to progress in life you have to take one step back and move two steps forward and every wall that you encountered is just a paper wall and you will only realise when you are there. Remember FEAR stands for False Expectation Appearing Real so dont worry too much on problems that will never occur. Once you have decided "Just DO It".

May the force be with you.

Denny

Dear Denny,

Thank you very much.
This is indeed an encouragement to me.

I am in my mid 30s. To me, similar to you but not exactly the same, education for my child too is one of the main reasons why I choose to move over to Australia. The education system in Singapore is truly very stressful. I do not want to son to go through the unnecessary stress in his next 10-20 years down the road. If there is better opportunity, less stressful environment to study in Australia, question to myself, why not?

Today, I have come out with a better idea for myself, which I would like to share with you. When both my wife and I go to Australia together, either one of us will have to quit his/her job. As a result, one income is down. Thus, I have decided to go ahead alone to Australia first, stayed there for 1-2 years. Say if it really fit in well, I will stay for long term and bring my family over; if not, will come back home. During this 1-2 years, while my wife is working in Singapore, I will keep in touch with her over skype or phone call, and fly back home every quarterly.

Instead of fearing, I have to make the bold step, like you, to move over to Australia and experience the working life there myself.

fyi:
1. As I am working in a global company, which has offices in many parts of Australia, I am planning to ask for internal transfer to Melbourne.
2. I spent 2.5 years studying in Brisbane and graduated with a bachelor of electrical engineering in year 2003.

Do you know how I can send personal email to you over this blog?
I hope to keep in touch with you as a friend, and perhaps even meeting up with you and your family when I go to Melbourne.

I am planning to move over to Melbourne early next year.

Joshua

Joshua,

That sounds like a good plan. Just make sure everyone has visited Australia to validate the visa. Not sure if you stated this in your previous posts.

So any other Singaporeans migrated to Melbourne recently?

dliew888 wrote:

..... at A$37,001 you are taxed at 37% plus 1.5% of medicare levy. However you will get tax offsets if you have family and dependent spouse.......

Recent changes to tax rules; new tax threshold is now $18,000 (I think). So at $37k you'll be taxed on $19k. And not at 37%, a lower figure. Also medicare levy is not payable if you have private health insurance. Best to check with a tax professional for accurate info and for other deductables.

I am a single mom with a teenaged son. I am still thinking if I should make the bold move to Brisbane next year (I have a friend there, so hopefully there's some form of initial support). I'm
an engineer in the waste water industry and have been doing some job searching but it seems that the job & skill requirement is very different from what I do here in Malaysia. I am  worried if I will be able to find a job as I am the sole breadwinner. infact, I do not mind at this stage to find any type of job as long that it can at lleast  sustain our basic cost for rental & living.  I do not know if I will regret giving up my stable job and comfortable life here for something with unknown feedback. I have been to Oz recently to check things out. I feel that living in Oz will perhaps give my son & more importantly myself, a better quality of life (not necessarily in economic sense).
Is it worth trying for the hardship, loneliness and uncertainty? The cost of living is definitely very high.
Would like to hear from anyone who were in similar situation.

Hi Singlemom,

What main decision factor that you have that makes you want to move from KL to Australia?

So you have applied for your PR already?

Hi,
The main reason was for my son's education. After I'd been there recently,  I found the lifestyle could be better for us, (and I do not mean in economic sense)
A lot of people when they migrate tend to go to Melbourne, or Sydney & Perth. I seldom heard of Malaysian or Singaporean migrating to Brisbane.
My main held back is if I could find employment there. Living cost is high, taxes high, etc.  I would like to hear those who had been there and gone thru, to share their experience...
Cheers!

Hi
I have also just migrated to Melbounre in March and very fortunate to secure a job within a month. I started off on trial and was offered full time position after I have proven myself.

Yes things are extremely expensive here compared to KL and my view is for the same amount money you earn in Australia you are likely to live a King in KL. the only consolation is you save on child education but you have to give up a lot.

My advice is before moving prepare well financially because at the initial stage you will incur a lot of cost. What I find here is extremely difficult to save money and your paycheck is only enough to cover living expenses. To get a job you need local experience and your overseas experience is unlikely to be valued by employers in Australia. Do plenty of research before making this bold move. If you know someone here it is easier to get a decent job through introduction.

I hope this helps.

All the best.