Jobs in PNG

Hi there,

I am currently living in Far North Quensland Australia with my family, after moving here from Scotland last year.  I am a carpenter by trade and was wondering what the jobs were like in PNG.  I have heard they do fly in fly out jobs from Cairns but is this just in oil and mining?  What would it be like if I was to bring the family and would wages be worth it?

Infact any info on the whole situation would be gratefully recieved
Cheers
Gary

Hi Gary,
To work in PNG you need work permit and visa, this is normally sponsored by the company employing you. Also the partner is not allowed to work if you're working. School fees are high and better facilities are available in Cairns state schools than Port Moresby private schools. people with families would be advised to FIFO between cairns and Port Moresby, but is a strain on many relationships. Also to get job there would be better you jump on a flight and go there spend some time in the local bars (weigh inn) and meet others there who can guide you or inform about work available.  Entry visa can be got upon arrival $50
Best of luck.

I am a recently qualified Chartered Certified Accountant, a full member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, membership ID 1301291. I also hold a BSc (Honours) in Applied Accounting from Oxford Brookes University, United Kingdom. My course was focused on finance, management accounting, financial accounting, taxation, auditing, corporate governance and ethics and business analysis.

International experience for professional accountants is becoming more and more important hence I hope to become acquainted with a new country culture. In addition to the experience I will get, I have chosen to come to your country also to learn more about the people, practise my English and travel.

Working at BDO Chartered Accountants in the last 3 years as an Audit Senior, I have developed excellent analytic skills, eexcellent computer skills, alertness and quick response to problems, strong communication and interpersonal skills, being a team leader, liaison at senior management/director level. My experience gave me exposure in finance, management accounting, financial accounting, taxation, auditing, corporate governance and ethics and business analysis. I have also worked in the following industries, banking, financial Institutions, manufacturing, transport, hospitality, agriculture, non governmental organizations, retail, mining and insurance. My education and passion has convinced me that auditing, finance, management accounting, financial accounting, taxation, corporate governance and ethics and business analysis are the areas I would want to explore.

In detail, my objectives for this position are:

•    To gain professional competence in professional accountancy.
•    To gain leadership skills for future leadership roles.
•    To acquire in-depth knowledge of bring out business solutions.
•    Improve my communication and client relationship skills.

I certainly believe that this working experience will be an outstanding contribution to an international-orientated future career.

Lol @ pbento.  You have all those qualifications and yet you seem to be applying for a position in a forum that is not an employment site?  Comprehension skills?

Might I suggest you look at something like www.seek.com.au and filter for Pacific Islands and PNG if you are looking for jobs.  It is pretty unlikely that prospective employers would be randomly looking in this forum.

Hi Pbento,

Can you please post your advert in the Jobs in Papua New Guinea section?

Thank you,
Christine
Expat.com