RH Bill

Do you support RH Bill? Why?

Hi seeker of truth!

Sorry but what is it about?

Regards
Armand

boss Armand, here is the overview of the RH Bill seeker of truth talks about...

RH bill means Reproductive Health bill. It is a Philippine bill aiming to guarantee universal access to methods and information on birth control and maternal care. The bill has become the center of a contentious national debate. There are presently two bills with the same goals: House Bill No. 96 or the Reproductive Health Act and Population and Development Act of 2010 introduced by Albay 1st district representative Edcel Lagman, and Senate Bill No. 2378 or the Reproductive Health Act introduced by Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago.

The bill is highly controversial, with experts, academics, religious institutions, and major political figures both supporting and opposing it, often criticizing the government and each other in the process. The issue is so divisive that at one point, the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines threatened to excommunicate the President, Benigno Aquino III if he supported the bill.

Hello boss funkydelicguy :)

Thank you very much for sharing the information and making me feel a little less silly :D

In a few words a very sensible subject that can turn this into a never-ending thread :whistle:

Regards
Armand

As expats, our opinions should have no basis on political/religous issues in the Philippines. Its a good way to be a person no grata and expelled.

Its not really an expatriate issue my dear.

Hi seeker of truth :)

That should be a personal decision not a national issue.

These government officials should be focusing on reducing the corruption to address poverty.

So why not they pass a bill of Death Penalty for guilty Corrupt government officials! :D

I guess only few will be left....

female_expat wrote:

I agree

Hmmnn.. blamed the Spaniards for bringing Catholic Faith during colonization era.

Brazil, Mexico and Italy are catholics majority but has divorce law, reproductive health laws and so on...

I'd say blame it on American midwest media that spread fear mongering tactics.

Not that I dont disagree with right wind media spreading of disinformation (Fox News), but what does the US media have to do with RH bill in RP?

Did you not know that those nutty right wingers in PH get their ideas on how to be creative in their debates, from the US midwest media ?

I thought it was from the Pope.

lol ok guys..lets can back to the topic.. regardless of your race, government, etc. As a human being, Do you support what RH Bill advocates?

dhnindc wrote:

I thought it was from the Pope.

the Pope strongly condemns this!!! :dumbom:

I support the RH Bill. We are given free will. Might as well use it! The Catholics need to chill

angelstirera wrote:

I support the RH Bill. We are given free will. Might as well use it! The Catholics need to chill

Why do you say "Catholics need to chill"? Most Catholics support this bill. Even more progressive priests support this bill.  Please do not generalize or be stereotypical.

female_expat wrote:

I agree that this is not an expat issue.

As a wife and mom, I do support this bill. Many social ills in the Philippines is tied up to having too many children which parents can't support. Poverty, crime, malnutrition, illiteracy. And many other ills like disrespect and discourtesy (which are acquired when the child lacks supervision from their first role model: parents).

That's true FilAmericanMom...

Also the state should be separate from the church... but then I see this debate no different in the US pro-life and pro-choice..

I do support! Bravo!

As we are in a democratic country...the church should be reminded of sepation of its power to the state.And as a human being endowed with the human intellect to choose, exercise of freewill should not be suppressed.

I support the RH bill and responsible parenthood...all children should have a bright future, good education and life not just being alive and just an entity to the nation's statistics!