Water tank size?

I will get water tank and tower installed next year in cebu . Wondered what size to get on home 1200 sqare foot?( We have two bathrooms .)  Thanks :)
I generally think it depends on your main source of water and how you intend setting up your system. If you have a reliable municipal water supply or subterranean well, then it's just a matter of using a low watt pump to elevate water to a smaller tank plastic or stainless tank (2000 litre or less), to increase gravity flow, in order to increase pressure to your faucets.  The higher the tank stand the more pressure in the faucet, the faster it empties.

If you are aiming at water security, keeping a larger volume (like concrete or polyethylene tank that is 10,000 litres plus) collecting rain water etc, then a such a storage tank will be more expensive, require guttering on your house for collection, and the tank will have to be at ground level (or underground) due to its weight, and need a more powerful 240v pump around 1000 watt (please check with installer) to achieve faucet water pressure . This also needs reliable electricity supply.

I had a 5000 litre concrete tank made by a local engineer and it degraded and leaked pretty quickly. Now I have 2 x deep wells that pump water upwards to automatically refill a 2000 litre stainless tank, above the roof line, and it refills much like a toilet cistern works. This gravity-fed system then supplies water enough for kitchen sink, washing machine, 4 toilets and 3 showers.
Thanks for your detailed reply. I've heard as well that the higher you go the better the water pressure. I'll go with stainless tank . Again thanks for your help. I live outside of cebu city and will post info of the whole experience to help others. 🙂

@gwaps Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Can think of too if you want heated water   (then can paint a tank black located in sun.)

Sure NOT have transparent/get light in tank because that add risk geting bad things growing in the tank.
I will get water tank and tower installed next year in cebu . Wondered what size to get on home 1200 sqare foot?( We have two bathrooms .)  Thanks smile.png
- @gwaps

That's a good question and one I've thought about myself. I would calculate water saver toilets on the high side at 5 liters per flush, 5 flushes per day times the number of flushers.

If you have water efficient shower heads figure 10 liters per minute for 5 minutes times the number of bathers. I read that the average shower lasts 8 minutes in the US.

Washing dishes and clothes would be difficult to calculate but you would have to be conservative during times of water outage. Let's say 100 liters per day, but it may be considerably more.

Consider how long the water outage is likely to last and if you're relying on municipal water does it have enough pressure to fill an elevated tank? If  the tank full water level is 20 feet you need almost 9 psig to reach the tank so you should be OK if the municipal water is at least 20 psig. At 30 feet you would need ~ 13psig. Our municipal water pressure is highest at night.

My solution was having a well dug and buying a 7,000 watt diesel generator, which I needed anyway. In the meantime our municipal water system was upgraded with filters and booster pumps so I connected the municipal water line to my well pump water supply with a check valve. In the event of a “brown out” the pressure in my well pressure tank will fall below the municipal water pressure allowing the check to open and I will have water, albeit at a lower pressure, but sufficient to rinse off if I'm in the shower since I'm the only one who starts the generator and switches the double throw breakers. I don't see the need for an elevated pressure tank in my situation, it would never be used. The contractor did install a large concrete rain water collection tank but it has never been used.

@Moon Dog  Yes, necessary considerations, all those water saving considerations (and contraptions), with the rising cost of municipal water .

I recalled one last metric - the number of people in the household and their use requirement. In Scotland, I have a teenage daughter who, despite the number of reminders, goes into the bathroom for an hour at time, without the slightest regard for cost. (This is of course is offset by her brother, who needs continual reminders to take a bath, LOL).  We actually don't pay for city water in Scotland where I live, but the energy/heating costs are getting serious.
@gsturdee I've heard that some municipalities have high water cost but ours is ridiculously cheap. I filled our pool for the first time using well water and municipal water but the high iron content in the well water turned the water tea color when I shocked it. I pumped out all 10,000 gallons and filled it with 100% municipal water this time and no more discolored water. The water bill that month was around P200.

My in laws moved here from Leyte in 2013 after Yolanda and we had a shack built for them. Municipal water was all they had, it was siphoned from a spill pool on the mountain side. Sand and an occasional small fish would come down the line and the pressure would go to zero in the morning. I visited in 2014 and bought a small pump and pressure tank. I piped it up with a bypass so when the water pressure was good they would turn off the pump and open the bypass. When the water pressure was low the little pump did a fair job boosting the pressure. The municipal water system has been upgraded with filters and booster pumps. We're near the end of the line so the pressure isn't great but it no longer goes to zero.

My original plan was to install a 500 liter tank with a pump and pressure tank. It was going to be on the ground with a bypass but we had a well drilled and now I just have a pump with a Water Worker pressure tank I sent in BB box. I have a generator backup as well as the municipal water connection I mentioned so I'm never without water.
Slightly off topic. The creature comforts that western living coddles us with. You can't beat a decent shower with a good head of water but sometimes its the simple things in life that bring the best memories.

I once had a DIY shower with an ex GF out in ths sticks near Tarlac at an Aunts house. You know there is the large plastic container of water in the shower WC area. We took it in turns to ladle water over each other. The best and most memorable (we got the giggles) shower ever experienced.

What's the new environmentally friendly water saving phrase 'Save water, shower with a friend' ;)
Slightly off topic. The creature comforts that western living coddles us with. You can't beat a decent shower with a good head of water but sometimes its the simple things in life that bring the best memories.

I once had a DIY shower with an ex GF out in ths sticks near Tarlac at an Aunts house. You know there is the large plastic container of water in the shower WC area. We took it in turns to ladle water over each other. The best and most memorable (we got the giggles) shower ever experienced.

What's the new environmentally friendly water saving phrase 'Save water, shower with a friend' wink.png
- @Lotus Eater
I had a nephew who had a hot wife, he told me they shower together to save money on hot water. His wife didn't think that was funny.

@Lotus Eater My most memorable showers were with a dipper and bucket. 1f601.svg That's the real Philippine shower!

@Moon Dog I hate the showers in the Philippines apart from in the nicer hotels. Never understood why the shower is at or near the same level as the rest of the bathroom leading to water all over the place. Surely it is better to have an enclosed shower cubicle or at least raise the level of the shower and have a separate drain for the water to go so it does not flood the rest of the bathroom.

@Lotus Eater My most memorable showers were with a dipper and bucket. 1f601.svg That's the real Philippine shower!

- @Moon Dog

Yes, cant beat it!  Totally refreshing.. haha.
I have yet to take a single shower myself... my fiancee insists we shower together... we still use the ladle and bucket... It is a fun, sweet time... has been over 2 years, and I don't see ever going back... (:
Had a bath with my girlfriend at the Waterfront Airport Hotel in Mactan, that was fun.

@gsturdee I'll let you know how it's goes and expenses . Now trying to buy honda ADV scooter in Cebu . May go on waiting list as it's very popular. 

Had a bath with my girlfriend at the Waterfront Airport Hotel in Mactan, that was fun.
- @Cherryann01

May I enquire who got the tap (faucet to our American friends) end? Or were you in, ahem, coital alignment?
- @Cherryann01
Where can I view the video?
@Cherryann01 The showers in our house are recessed and have separate drains and a US style shower head and we have shower curtains. I didn't mind the pail and dipper showers though, as long as you had dedicated shower slippers.

When my nieces would visit they made a mess of the upstairs CR in our new house so I had to lay down the law and insist they dry off before leaving the shower.  I wanted the floor dry before they left or I would lock the door and they could use the traditional CR on the back of the property. They even had water splashed on the mirror over the sink so I don't know what was going on in there.

During a visit in 2014 I bought a cheap shower set up for the CR in the original shack that was on the property at that time. It was cheap and easy to install. When we demolished the house last year it was still there and is probably in one of the worker's huts now.

I remember bathing in the Dogway and Cranberry rivers when backpacking in West Virginia. The water was so cold in those mountain streams that when I dunked my head my scalp would draw up so tight it was hard to close my eyes, but I slept like a baby that night. That is probably why my favorite thing to do here is go sit under a waterfalls. It is the most relaxing thing I know of here.

@Lotus Eater I got the tap end

@Moon Dog yeh I agree with you about the waterfalls. I have only been to one (Tinago near Illigan City) but loved the clear water and the spray from the falls

@Enzyte Bob you mean the video of me using the face towels and toilet paper to soak up all the overspill of water from the bath

@gwaps  me too... sold my suzuki... going with the larger Honda... they are super popular

Solar water heaters are not that hard to build, you can buy a pretty good system reasonable
Solar water heaters are not that hard to build, you can buy a pretty good system reasonable
- @Okieboy

Can be made by scrap too, just paint the cleaned tank black and make sure sunlight dont get into the the tank.
My friend from Australia has black pipe in a coil and frame  on his roof

For your 1200 sq ft home with two bathrooms, thinking about how much water you guys use daily is key. A tank that can hold a day or two's worth of water is a smart bet. So, something between 1000 to 1500 gallons should cover your needs, giving you a nice cushion for those days when you're using more water or if there's a hiccup in your water supply. Definitely, when you're ready to get a storage tank, go with a trusted supplier. They can help you pick out the right size and type for your setup, especially if you need it for drinking water.

watch?v=5tivecmok4A&t=68sI went with a 2000L size. You never know when you'll not have water for a few days (in the province).

@Wingfat

what was price for a 2000lt

@renegadesric529  About 50,000P

@Wingfat

would be a good investment as just had 3 day water off

i also want to grow veggie so catching rain good idea

@Wingfat
what was price for a 2000lt

-@renegadesric529

I will try to remember to check the size of the unit we bought. And the size of the pump. I think we did 3/4 hp with about a 20lt bladder. But our total was much less than 50,000 php. And we have a piggery watering 4 sows and 24+ fatteners at a time. It's nighttime now. So maybe tomorrow daytime.

Hey I remembered to check!

So, we have a 1000 lt (I assume not gallons) poly tank. And a 1HP pump with a 40lt bladder. Set to 41 psi.

I haven't found the receipt. But I recall them being under 50k php from Citi Hardware in Carcar.

@renegadesric529 At our Siquijor home we have an 8000-liter cistern (concrete storage tank, essentially) built in 2005 with 2 equal size chambers, one for municipal water (not 100% reliable during droughts) and the other for rainwater. We built a fairly sophisticated rainwater collection system on the roof and one good downpour that lasts a few hours will fill up the 4000l rainwater chamber. That 4000 liters can last months with our usage, if we used only rainwater, but there is a human problem. The rainwater can be used for toilet flushing, washing clothes, washing dishes, cars and gardening but my wife will not allow it to be used for showers. To me rainwater is perfect for showering as it contains no minerals, is Ph-neutral and makes great soap suds but to her, she thinks it feels kind of clammy, which it does because it is very soft water. She will not accept it even though I insist it is the best (what do I know?). At one point when I was running 100% rainwater in the house during a drought, I used to even drink the water (we do filter it). Droughts in Siquijor usually means one strong rainstorm every 4-6 weeks. I never got sick lol. So now, as La Nina comes in this summer it will become very dry and we will depend on the occasional rainstorms to keep the cistern full for rainwater use (like gray water applications) but most likely, the municipality will deliver us municipal water for the other 4000l side at a cost of about 3000 pesos per 4000l delivery which will last 1-3 months. For our Valencia/Dumaguete residence, we use Dumaguete water which is turned off every night and sometimes for a few days. For that we have a 1500 liter storage tank and a red bladder tank (largest one, don't know size). Here on the mountain, we are not so affected by La Nina droughts, but we have no rainwater harvesting system here. I wish we did because our vegetable garden is getting much larger and we do have to water it. I think for that we should be able to harvest some rain from the rooftop on drain it into say a 250l storage tank, 1/2hp pump and a small bladder tank. Ah but that is a project that I will ponder from time to time and keep putting off until the water bill becomes too high. In my case, although rainwater harvesting is considered to be a "green" behavior, my intent has never been virtue signaling environmentalism, it is for completely practical purposes only and it really is a practical thing to do in many places in the Philippines.

@danfinn

thanks for the info dan i will certainly be delving into rainwater collection as my priority as i want to grow many things in garden

Just had 2 day freshwater cut off so storing fresh water would be a bonus also

Steve

@danfinnthanks for the info dan i will certainly be delving into rainwater collection as my priority as i want to grow many things in garden Just had 2 day freshwater cut off so storing fresh water would be a bonus alsoSteve        -@renegadesric529

Watertanks can be an interesting topic. There are many Australian expats here but strangely we hear little about them regarding water tanks; in some States there, water tanks (cisterns) are said to be compulsory for new builds due to climate issues that, like their laws, existed well before climate change became the fashion de jour. "Australia was doing water tanks when water tanks weren't cool". That approx. describes my family's use of water storage tanks in Siquijor; it has nothing to do with green virtue-signaling and everything to do with practicality and the availability of water (although the Island does seem to be a magnet for European eco-tourists).

The US Peace Corp used to be there but stopped around 2014, I think. They did not produce water supplies like in the old days when the peace corps first started. Their main focus changed from creating useful projects like that to environmentalism (under VP Gore), planting mangrove trees on the once-beautiful beaches and, well, the US peace corps is gone now and most of the mangrove trees didn't take root.  And still, water shortages during droughts. But the locals remember encountering them once in a while...they spoke perfect Bisaya. Interesting. I encountered them once but neither side acknowledged,

During this next la-Nina period I expect most of our water in Enrique Villanueva Siquijor will be stored from the intermittent downpours as municipal water begins to disappear. That problem may continue into 2025 and probably be back to normal during the rainy season in late 2025. What do the locals without cisterns do? That would describe most of them. Some neighbors get access to our rainwater tank but most have to carry jerricans on tricycles to another part of the Island that has more water. Water is heavy to carry and that is problematic as you can only fir a small number of jerricans on a tricycle or 3-cylinder multicab.

One more thing, in the USA many municipalities are the opposite from Australia; they do not want you harvesting rainwater from the roof as they say it is not healthy...I think we can decide that and even test for ourselves even though it is not mainly for drinking. Their real concern is the lack of demand (business) from the city water systems. They also say they don't like it because, without metering water use, they could not charge us for sewer under the theory that all water used goes down the sewer eventually...hmm if the unharvested water goes from the roof to the drainpipe and down the driveway and into the sewer, who pays for that?

Very true Dan and your knowledge on Oz is good. New Oz homes for about the last 20 years have a mandatory rainwater tank and pump connected supplying toilets and from memory laundries. This was initiated to reduce demand on city/town water supplies.

Not in town and self sufficient you need to have large rainwater storage or a bore, I think the minimum is 20K litres, for me not enough. on the farm when we purchased in had a 28Kl concrete tank, we added 4 more 22.5Kl tanks, 3 for the house, 1 for dam water for garden and even with all that we ran out of water every 3/4 years in a dry season and had to buy water in.

Here in PH. nada, no water tanks, no gutters on the house and rely on the deep well for every thing aside from drinking water. I must check the water table as we have not had a drop if rain here for around 3 months, normally it drops about a foot but the locals say they have never run out.

As for rain water yes the best, our well water is high in minerals.

Cheers, Steve.

Building a cement/hollow block water tank is a really good idea....catching rain water.....for your plants.....if you cover it, it will stay cleaner longer....perhaps for outside washing, like the car. We bought a 2500L stainless steel tank at Citi hardware in Carcar 10 years ago.....installed approx 12 meters high......water pumped from an unusually clean shallow well...gives us good pressure in the house.....we added 2 filters also. Many of the locals drink from this "unusually" clean shallow well, but i still buy the 5 gallon bottles for my drinking water. Citihardware in Carcar has a lot of different water tanks available....I was there just last week. We have a lot of plants, so our 2 cement tanks catching rain water really helps.

@Gregorio2020

im looking to have large producing garden so would be beneficial to catch plenty rainwater

also i have 3 pigs of which are giving birth soon so plenty bacon sarnies

@renegadesric529

Note my post above. We have 4 sows. One gave birth to 11 three weeks ago while three more are at varying stages of pregnancy with at least one delivering in the next week or so I believe. We are also in the final stage of selling off 20 fatteners born here to the meat shop, avg slaughter weight 105kg. Our vegetable garden is small, but my honey has potted plants all over the property. We're doing fine with our setup. And we are VERY BIG on a clean piggery. Including bathing them twice a day as well as cleaning floors and sending the waste into our Bio-gas tanks. We definitely use more water than most with our piggery.