Terms of endearment

Hello my fellow bloggers,

What does it mean when your Filipino woman friend calls you 'dad" whats the implication; translation?
We are 11 yrs apart in age.

Thanks guys!

It's just a term of endearment. Used by Philippine spouses all the time

normally is just a sign of respect..just like them saying "po" as in "please" in sentence they make. Is something to say i respect our age difference.

It is not uncommon to see a couple refer to each other as "Mommy" and "Daddy"… With 11 years difference in age, you are not near what I feel the average age difference is here (perhaps 20+ years difference).  If the age difference is stuck in your mind with a negative connotation, you may not have the right reaction to harmless tender words.  Younger lady/older foreign man is a very common relationship structure here in the PI.

From a Filipina:

dad or daddy = darling, or baby etc.
(but worth trying to get them to stop saying ;) We are only used to children and mothers of the children calling us that.)

po = a term of respect to an older person, but not meaning please.

Thanks, I'm with you on this. I feel a bit uncomfortable since i have my children call me dad, I don't need same from a lover. i'll recommend, po

Not sure that po is right either, a bit too formal.

Just a term of endearment, similar to "honey" and "darling".

It's not uncommon for a Filipino woman to call her boyfriend "dad", or a Filipino male to call his girlfriend "ma" or "mama", especially if they're well into a relationship. It's probably because they're assuming that eventually they will have to marry, have kids, and refer to each other as "mom" and "dad" in front of the kids anyways.  (One of my brother's ex gf sometimes called him "papa" when they were still together. They had a 2-year age difference.)

If you feel uncomfortable with her calling you "dad" because of your age difference, see  if you can subtly convince her to changing your pet name. If you can't, try calling her "mama". Maybe that would even things out.

This is a very uncomfortable for many in the west, as it is basically being called dad by a child of yours.

I once had to explain how I would think of her in the same way that I think of my daughter if that term was used to me.
It never was used :)

Biletnikoff wrote:

Hello my fellow bloggers,

What does it mean when your Filipino woman friend calls you 'dad" whats the implication; translation?
We are 11 yrs apart in age.

Thanks guys!

It means you look older and she looks younger.... LOL

I'm sure it kinda creeps you out a bit, but. Try and take it in stride. I'm still trying to accept men popping their eyebrows at me when just saying hello world suffice. LOL

We western men must be wise to so much cultural differences.

It is worthwhile explaining to them why it sounds odd to us, so they also have the chance to adapt to other peoples ways, especially if they ever plan to travel overseas.

ABCDiamond wrote:

This is a very uncomfortable for many in the west, as it is basically being called dad by a child of yours…...

I think this is another one of the many differences in speech varieties (i.e., linguistic characteristics) that become more noticed as native english speakers migrate to other lands.  It should be noted that even in the USA, regional differences = different pet names.  As the region become cross border/cross cultural, the pet name takes on some very special meanings between the sender & receiver, that if translated directly to other languages, will not always render a sweet or loving picture.

Examples of interesting and different terms of endearment by countries or nations:

Argentina - The other half or lover is often referred to as Bicho ("bug") or Cielo ("sky") 

Cherokee (Native American) -. The wife is referred to as Adsila ( "blossom")

Tibet - The other half or lover is often referred to as Nyingdu-la ( "most honoured poison of my heart")

Odawa (Native American) -. The wife is referred to as Gdab  ( "beloved")

Germany (Swabia area of Germany) - The lady is often referred to as Mein Spatzle ( "my little sparrow")

Denmark - The man is often referred to as Skat ( "treasure")

Gaelic(UK) - The lady can be referred to as Mo chuisel  ("my pulse")

Anyone wish to trade "Mommy or Daddy" for the American English meaning of "Skat"?

Calif-Native wrote:

Anyone wish to trade "Mommy or Daddy" for the American English meaning of "Skat"?

I'd go with Skat meaning "my treasure", rather than Daddy, meaning "my parent" any day.

ABCDiamond wrote:
Calif-Native wrote:

I'd go with Skat meaning "my treasure", rather than Daddy, meaning "my parent" any day.

I have been trying to come up with a name for my new found Pet and thanks to you ABCDiamond SKAT shall be his name...

vetretreat wrote:

I have been trying to come up with a name for my new found Pet and thanks to you ABCDiamond SKAT shall be his name...

From Collins English Dictionary: Skat = a three-handed card game using 32 cards

I always used the word when dogs followed me, to tell them to get away, scarper etc. ;)

ABCDiamond wrote:
vetretreat wrote:

From Collins English Dictionary: Skat = a three-handed card game using 32 cards

I always used the word when dogs followed me, to tell them to get away, scarper etc. ;)

Now you're telling me to regroup on the name...LOL...Guess I will just name him TREASURE...

Well my joke was not very clear it seems .. sorry my early childhood California country life hangs on!  SKAT, according to some = Droppings, Scat &  Feces Identification - "Feces identification, also known as scat, can be a difficult task as feces change according to the animal's diet. However, by asking the right questions you can go a long way to reduce the number of available suspects."

http://icwdm.org/inspection/scat.aspx

Ahh. American Language v English Language,
Language problems abound everywhere, not just where we expect them ;)

you are mean...lol

I knew immediately what SKAT was. I'm an outdoorsman and we refer to SKAT as droppings from predetors such as bear, python, and mountain lions.

If you see SKAT and its moist then the tables have turned and you are being hunted... LOL

Language :)

Danish:- literally "treasure" (or "tax"), but a common term of endearment similar to "honey" or "my pet".

So, very apt in Danish ;)

According to harvard.edu/skat/ -  SKAT is a SNP-set (e.g., a gene or a region) level test for association between a set of rare (or common) variants and dichotomous or quantitative phenotypes,
Skat is an independent Swiss organisation working in the fields of development and humanitarian aid.
Skat is a 3-player trick-taking card game devised in early 19th-century

It seems this word means many things including this list:
A Boat
Bulgarian TV Channel
Skat River - River in Bulgaria
Danish Tax Office

+ one other, a localised slang version, from the "Urban Dictionary" that is closest to the currently discussed American version.

language
coming from a country (Belgium) were some politicians use the diferent spoken languages as a tool to split up the population (and the country) ,i realise how inportand it coold be that there woold be one day a comon spoken laguage spoken by al ppl al over the world ,so ppl coold comunicate better and work on inprovment of the world as it is ,instead of waging war up on eachother .
but i am just an retired military dreaming of a planet were there woold be NO MORE WAR or other violent conflicts .
i oftend wonder is this such a crazy dream i have ?
ps as far as the pet names my wife gives my i take it were it comes from (it comes from who loves me so i take it loving it hahaha)

Dirk

Regarding terms of endearment, never use "pookie" to refer to your female Filipino significant other. Haha.

Well Dirk,
I find the different languages to be a nice departure in life.  I agree with the peace and no more war dreams but find the sources for human behavior to be well past a spoken language issue.  I also served my country proudly and daily think of the buddies and family that only left Viet Nam in a body bag/box.  Men and women of most countries give as they served while leadership/power brokers at the top just pull more strings as they take from us all.  Truly a topic for another type of rant, sorry! 

Additionally, my concerns for a "NWO" are much greater than any language differences.  Next with one language will come one money, one world and one ruler of the "New World Order".  That is NWO. 

Only the very powerful will win with a NWO and the rest of us will be modified slaves to the controllers of gold, religion, a single monetary system, natural resources and all other forms of global wealth.  I will deal with a different language in each country any day over the NWO alternatives….  :-)