Some guidance on moving to Namibia from scratch

Hi there,

My husband and I plan to move to Namibia soon. We know nothing about the country and have a 4 year old little boy. Where do I start and what are the things I should know about this move. We are south african citizens. We want to move as a business opportunity has become available for IT support

Hi troy321!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Thanks Armand, how about some info?

Hello troy321!

Have you gone through the several posts of the forum?

This may help you.

Harmonie.

Hello and welcome to Namibia.

Here are some facts about Namibia that might come in handy:

1. It is much, much safer than South Africa. It is slower yes, but not a bad trade off I think.

2. If you are coming in as investors ensure that you have the right visas. If you need help let me know and I will give you some good reliable contacts.

3. Most of the same shops you have in South Africa have franchises  or branches here so you will not miss anything in terms of basic everyday shopping. For major stuff you can buy when you travelhome: Edgars, Woolworths, Mr. Price and Sheetstreet; Milady are all here.

4. Make sure you have good health insurance. The private     
   hospitals are great but very expensive; the public hospitals   
   are not an option unless you are suicidal :(

5. There are some nice homes here; find a good agent and you will get a good deal. Best time to rent a house: November thru' January. Students are gone and landlords are desperate. Let me know if you need some names of agents.

6. Depending on where you choose to live there are some really good day cares and preschools. You have to book early though. Several Montessori schools: I believe that is the best foundation for a child.

7. Nothing happens here in December over the holidays. Namibia closes for Christmas around December 15th until January 15th.

8. There is a great expatriate community. Many young expats teaching or doing research at Polytechnic of Namibia. Great minds, great company from many countries including Norway, Denmark, Germany, Kenya, US, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and South Africa. Let me know and I will be happy to introduce you to several.

9. We usually have a braai every other week at our house and everyone brings a dish and just has fun meeting everyone else and networking.

I have been here a year and a half now and I feel like a local. It is a great place to relocate to and meet new friends and build a business or take up a business opportunity.

Let us know when you get here so we can give you a truly Namibian welcome.

Best regards,

Zenani