Safety concerns After Yesterdays plane shooting

Hi guys,

So i am supposed to be moving to Istanbul in December with my wife, but after the shooting down of the Russian plane my wife and I have a number of safety concerns. What is your take on the situation? Should I not have these feeelings?

This is all a mess, as is the whole war.

Both sides are blaming each other, and both claim the other is a liar.
I'm not even going to try to decided which lies are lies, but I do think there will be more violence ahead.
I'm GUESSING this is most likely to be when Turkish aircraft fly into Syria, possibly targeted by Russian SAMs or fighters, but that's worst case, not an absolute.

I really don't see Russia directly attacking a NATO country, but they can claim any Turkish aircraft shot down was by Syrian forces, or claim the Turkish aircraft engaged the Russians.
Either way, I don't see it going any further than that as both sides realise what that would mean.

However, politics commonly relies on stupidity as opposed to common sense.

No need to worry about safety in Istanbul. Istanbul still is one of the safiest big cities of world;

http://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings.jsp

Rank of Istanbul is 199, you may easily compare with your city.

And it will be pity not to visit this city; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A1q7v4btbk

Thanks guys. I think I will continue with my trip but I will postpone it to January. Istanbul looks like a very beautiful city.

Oops, I still hope I'm right, but I might be wrong.

Without saying who I think is right and wrong, save to suggest both sides are bloody idiots.

It seems Turkey (at least in claims) is heading more and more extreme in government, and there are many claims of that country helping rebels, including more extreme groups, the very groups Russia is bombing at the moment, and the same groups American troops are claimed to be about to join forces with (at least in claims), leaving Russia attacking well armed and well trained anti Assad forces, possibly with US and Turkish troops in their ranks, assuming the plan Obama announced for US troops to join anti Assad forces actually happens.
Other countries are claiming Russia is assisting an evil dictator, so should not be there at all.
Russia supplies lots of gas to Turkey, and that looks like it could get cut off in revenge.
Russia is also claiming Turkish backed fighters killed at least one Russian whilst he was floating down in his parachute - a war crime.
It seems Russia has sent warships to the area, just to fuel the fire.
Add to that Russian claims about America being there to remove Assad, not fight ISIS, and you have the potential for an epic mess.

It hardly matters if there is any truth in the claims, some truth, or it's all lies, these people are claiming it, and will work on the assumption they're right.

Looking at the stuff I've read on this over the last hour, I'd give Turkey a miss at the moment.

Only one thing is for sure - the politicians are all bloody idiots.

believe me Istanbul is very safe just choose the area you will stay in like levent or istinye....

whats Beylikduzu like?

It appears the fabric of relations between Turkey and Russia have been strained due to this unfortunate incident. Going back in history the Russians and the Ottomans fought several wars from the 15th century till the end of the Ottoman empire. The present war is not between Russia and Turkey, its against a common enemy ISIS. Unfortunately the rules of this war against this common enemy need to be addressed and managed in a more responsible manner, in order to avoid further debacles.

In my opinion there is no real threat of war between these two countries , other than some impact on bilateral trade agreements and the economic corridors, having said that similar incidents can not be ruled out in future..

It is fantastic with new compounds and sky scrapers very well planned,new public transport system.
only first know where you will work then rent for it is useless to live far and spend the difference of rent you saved on transportation it will be time consuming and really tiring.

While diplomatic relationships between the two countries may be strained, it would be extremely difficult for Russia to justify any military action agains Turkey for shooting down a warplane that invaded Turkey's sovereign airspace. Let's just step back a bit and take a long hard look at all Putin's huffing and puffing and put it into perspective.

Russia is the only nation on earth that deliberately shot down a commercial airliner, killing all 269 on board when they blasted KLM Flt. 007 out of the sky in 1983. Not only did THEY claim they did so because the aircraft invaded their airspace, but they tried to cover up information surrounding the incident for many months thereafter.

I really think that this little detail would certainly be brought up by the international community should Russia even consider such action.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team
http://www.conservapedia.com/images/thumb/8/83/KAL007.JPG/300px-KAL007.JPG

I think we have to be fair here.
The Soviets of old do seem to have shot it down, but it was in restricted airspace and there were many spy flights at that time that deliberately invaded their territory.
We should also mention other countries have shot down civilian airliners and covered it up.
That's not defending anyone, just trying to balance the comments.

In this case, the military jet's path is disputed.

I still don't see this going any further than sanctions with no invasion of Turkey as such, but I wouldn't want to be a Turkish pilot over Syria at the moment. His chances of returning to base would be limited.

Russia has announced sanctions, but also brought up military hardware that directly threatens any Turkish aircraft invading Syrian airspace.

That seems to be about that for the moment, but war zones have a nasty habit of expanding.

Just watched a BBC news report about Russian expats in mixed marriages who live over there.A lady said, "We can't split mixed children into two".

Once again we see idiotic politicians creating wars, usually for cash.

They make me angry.

ISTANBUL ...GOOD CHOICE  BUT NOT FOR LONG TERM JUST BRIDGE TO PASS SOMEWHERE ELSE :)

FRED ,

THERE WAS A CARTOON  AT MY CHILDHOOD  ON TV (BLACK AND WHITE ) AND THE 5 OCLOCK IN THE AFTERNOON  WE WERE EAGERLY WAITING TO WATCH FOR THE FLINTSTONES :)
BARNY CAMES TO HIS CAVE AND TURN ON THE STONE COVERED TV AND HE WAS READING HIS PAPIRUS NEWSPAPER  MAIN SUBJECT WITH BIG FONTS '' THERE WAS NO ANY PEACEFULL RESULTS FROM THE MIDDLEEAST  SUMMIT''.... IT WAS THE PAPIRUS NEWSPAER WHICH PUBLISHED AT THE STONE AGE  AND NOW WE ARE ON 2015 ..  THE REST IS UP TO  YOU  .

EDOJIDAI.

Edojidai wrote:

FRED ,

THERE

Please don't post 'caps lock'.
Apart from looking bad, it's considered rude (At least on this forum).

:)  Hı Fred

thanks for warning ,

It comes  from 30 years custom/habit  related to my occupation which always used  capital letters .

not  by intention to be rude though.

regards .

edojidai.

No worries, just an oddity of some forums (Including this one).
Absolute clarity is essential in some cases, so that's easy to understand. :)