Personal Income Tax in Vietnam

I moved a couple of months ago to Vietnam to join my wife. I'm living here currently under a Visa Exemption, and working for an overseas company back where I was living before coming to Vietnam (using the Internet, as a consultant). My understanding is if I'm in Vietnam more than 183 days in a year I have to pay taxes here (I'm 'resident for tax purposes'). How do I do that, since I don't have a Tax ID, or anything similar, and the company is not Vietnamese and has no links of any sort with Vietnam except for myself?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Hi,
Vietnam has a tax treaty with Canada.   That eliminates double Tax.   If you've paid Tax in Canada that should offset whatever this joint wants to Tax you.

Besides ,it's unlikely they'll be knocking on doors, unless you set up an office here .

If anyone starts asking questions , just ask why do they NEED TO KNOW?    It's common here for people to ask what you do for a living, they're just curios and nosey.    If they mention TAX , just tell them to refer to the international Tax treaties they've signed up to.   Leave it at that. 

If they persist, ask them to put their enquirys in writing on a government letter head addressed to the relevant authorities.  And tell them to figure that out.   It's unlikely they'll have a clue where to send it.

Seriously, there are university graduates here that don't even know mans been to the moon.  And I would bet money that a lot of government workers here wouldn't know where Canada was .   Where are they going to send that letter. 😀😀

Thanks for your reply Yogi. No one has asked yet, but I am imagining that sooner or later they will, which is why I wanted to be ready. I was under the impression I had to get a Tax ID, but everything I've read says that 'your company' will do that for you, implying 'the company you are working for in Vietnam'. Of course for me there is no company here in Vietnam, which has left me in limbo. As laptop freelancing is becoming more and more common I was hoping others would be having similar experiences.

Again, thanks for your reply, and have a great day.

Just tell people you live of your savings.   Besides, if you look at the PIT laws here bank interest is taxed at a ridiculously LOW rate.  Given foreign banks hardly pay interest these days the tax payable would hardly be worth their effort .     

Canada has a Tax treaty anyway.   

I wouldn't worry about it.  Take it easy mate.